• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

K100RS and a Vetter Terraplane sidecar

commando71

I am currently researching the possibility of attaching a Vetter Terraplane sidecar to my 85 K100RS. I would like to communicate with anyone on the forum who has done this or can connect me with someone who has done it. Thanks Craig

terraplane

I do not currently own a terraplane. I am in the exploratory stage at this point. Trying to ,obtain as much info as I can before I commit to the project or not. I have determined that the Terraplane has been attached to a K1100. I have also sourced parts suppliers and attachment hardware suppliers for the project but communicating with someone who has actually done this rig would be most helpful. Craig

For a K-bike you are going to need a subframe for attaching a sidecar, and those can be tricky to fabricate. Your best bet is to contact someone with experience attaching sidecars to K-bikes. You are about 325 miles from Freedom Sidecars in Middleburg, PA. I’d suggest you contact Claude at Freedom and ask your questions. My guess is that he is going to tell you there are issues with the Terraplane since “as sold” they used a three-point mounting system. Most anyone mounting cars now builds a four-point mount and Claude could advise you on the possibility of doing that with the Terraplane.

There is also this from DMC sidecars in Washington State. Jay at DMC could also answer questions for you: https://www.dmcsidecars.com/sidecar_mounts/vetter-terraplane-sidecar-adapter-kit/

Good luck,
DG

terraplane

Thanks for the reply. I have spoken to the tech at DNC and they do have a sub frame for the K100 and an attachment kit for the Terraplane. The cost is high as I would need both. I would need to find a Terraplane that was reasonably priced to make this project work. Looking at resale values of rigs does not encourage me to take the project on as I have a considerable amount of money tied up in the restoration of the K100. Any Terraplane I find will require some form of refurbishing and that will add an additional expense. I will keep looking , but if I find a better sidecar deal I will probably drop the Terraplane project. Thank you for your input. Craig

terraplane

I have been aware of the Terraplane listed on Ebay. I would take the sidecar apart and completely rebuild it and paint it to match my K. The time , effort and the expense associated with this project makes an initial expense of 2500+ 5-600 for shipping a very expensive starting point. I would estimate that in the end I would have at least 5-6 K into the car before it was set up. That is too close to the expense of buying a brand new car for the bike. These are things I am considering . As much as I would love to have that Terraplane , the price is just to high for me. craig

Craig,
You may have heard this, or not, but you may be ahead keeping your K a solo bike and looking for an already assembled and sorted out hack. The cost to assemble it right, even if you already own the bike, can be several thousand plus the cost of the sidecar. An example, my friend recently sold an outfit, an '05 R1200GS with a DMC sidecar. Including everything over $30k invested. The resale was less than half that. There are some good deals out there if you have your heart set on a hack. I speak from thirty-five years and about two hundred thousand miles on hacks. Good luck with plans and your project. Have a good '19 riding season.
gp

Thanks for the input. I have zero experience with a hack and thought I would like to gain some before I check out. The more I look at the plan the more I am inclined to take your advice and enjoy the K100 as I restored it. I love riding my K75S solo, perhaps when I get to the point where the K's are too much to handle I will sell them and get a Ural rig. I will certainly enjoy this riding season as the winter, although less snowy, here in New England, has been very cold. I appreciate the input from all the members here and hope you all have a safe and pleasurable riding 2019. Craig

Back