• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MOA at the Toronto Motorcycle show

jdeluca

I attend the January Motorcycle show in Toronto Every year. MOA has had a booth at the show for at least the past 6 years.I always renew my membership and have a chat with the Gentleman in the Booth. This year they were not in attendance ? I will have to find another way to renew this year.

Very easy to renew on line.

True, but why the break from tradition at one of, if not the largest, motorcycle shows in North America? In sw Ontario, I believe that we have enough MOA members that could have taken shifts looking after the display. Does the MOA still value it's Canadian members. :scratch

Figured that I just did not stumble across the table; apparently for a good reason.

The shows aren’t free and the cost to attend has outweighed the results for the last few years. Even with some dedicated members providing the labor, you can’t justify the expense based on the number of members who join/renew at the show.

The shows aren’t free and the cost to attend has outweighed the results for the last few years. Even with some dedicated members providing the labor, you can’t justify the expense based on the number of members who join/renew at the show.

Did this show draw the demographics the MOA needs to improve on? If no then the decision sounds prudent. If yes then the MOA needed to do a better job getting them in the booth and signing up. Tough to decide without that knowledge.

I guess the show has changed. I believe in the past, clubs were exempt from paying for space to promote their clubs.

I have found that “Trade” shows in general have been in decline over the past years. Location “booth” space costs have unfortunately reduced vendors attendance and many, in my area, hold “we are not setting up at the show” open houses complete with special discounts.
All that said, this does give the possibilities of new ways for distributors, retailers and customers to get to together.
OM

Corporate Identity

MOA in their wisdom. Have chosen not to support the Canadian Motorcycle Shows any more!

Everything changed when the corporate identity came into play. When all the Canadian Motorcycle Clubs had to be under the umbrella club of BMW Clubs Canada, the politics of this is what has disheartened Darryl and I from BMW. We had issues with BMWCC for too many years trying to get our MOA club registered with them, that we stepped down as president of our local club (Darryl was president for over 20 years), we also requested to be put in ambassador emeritus status as unfortunately MOA's hands seem to be tied when it comes to anything to do with Canadian Clubs.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Oh. I didn’t know that politics is at play here.

Wow! This is the 1st time I even heard of this “BMW Clubs Canada”. Obviously promotion had not been strong...

Just my opinion

Oh. I didn’t know that politics is at play here.

Wow! This is the 1st time I even heard of this “BMW Clubs Canada”. Obviously promotion had not been strong...

Individually you can belong to the MOA, If you belong to a local Canadian Club they would have to be governed by BMWCC first, then the club can also be registered with the MOA.

This is just my opinion as what transpired with what we had to deal with, trying to register our MOA club with BMWCC, we could no longer be a MOA club unless we were governed by BMWCC first.

Not trying to be "political", the fact that you are not aware of BMWCC speaks volumes, as they were not to happy to have the motorcycle group as part of them, it was a decision made by BMW headquarters.

I should probe round and see what is going on next time I am at the dealership... There are enough Motorrad riders here to justify some good representation.

Not trying to be "political", the fact that you are not aware of BMWCC speaks volumes, as they were not to happy to have the motorcycle group as part of them, it was a decision made by BMW headquarters.

Individually you can belong to the MOA, If you belong to a local Canadian Club they would have to be governed by BMWCC first, then the club can also be registered with the MOA.

This problem of affiliated clubs first affected Canadian RA chartered clubs about five or six years ago. At the time I was treasurer of our local club, one of two (now the only) club in the province that hosts an annual rally. Since being a member of the BMW Canada Car Club required affiliates to remit part of their finances to the national club, we allowed our RA status to terminate. Our organization was quite small and giving up funds would have made our rally difficult to finance. (The club attracts BMW riders from not only Ontario but also from neighboring states of MI, NY, OH, PA and even occasionally WI.)

I am no longer a local club member but I see that have in the last year or so they have now lost their MOA charter status as well.

For a club to become a BMWCC affiliate, besides supporting with a percentage of club funds, there were quite a number of requirements to attain that status. As a group we declined.

After several decades of being a chartered club with both the MOA and the RA, our local club's affiliation was erased. Pity.

Back