• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

best battery for a lwb r75/5

Hi
Need another battery, can you believe it. Amazing though, this one lasted 9 years. Its a WestCo. What are the longest lasting batteries on the market today. looking for a sealed one.
Thanks
Brian

Back then, Westco batteries were Panasonic manufactured with a Westco label slapped on top. Westco stopped using Panasonic several years ago, probably for a cheaper supply. You can still get a Panasonic battery. One of the Panasonic sellers that I spoke to recently said Panasonic switched their battery factory a year or two ago and they were experiencing an uptick in failures. I’m still using Panasonic batteries in my two Airheads but did have an early failure on one last year.

Battery

Got this battery for my 100/7 at local auto parts store, I could have got cheaper price on line ( unknown quality) but went with Napa battery.

D5D1FFFC-A182-4F97-9A93-59F1204F286E.jpeg

7CF5C1AC-43B1-448E-8736-F13AF52A2A7A.jpeg

I've had a good run with Odyssey batteries. The only Westco I ever had shorted out in the middle of nowhere in 2007 at 2 years old......

Hi
What do you think about interstate batteries. Item number dcm0018. Good price just want to check on reliability.
Thanks
Brian

A note to those running Odyssey batteries: Remember they require a higher charge voltage than regular FLA and AGM batteries. Installing an inexpensive adjustable electronic voltage regulator from Motoradd Electric or Euro Motoelectrics and adjusting it to 14.7 VDC will get you long life from your Odyssey.

If you don't wish to do this you need to make sure you top it up all the time with an Odyssey approved charger which WILL take it up to the proper full charge and thus avoid sulfation which is what kills most batteries over time.

Bmw gel battery

Hi
Spoke with rusty yesterday. He suggested the BMW gel battery. A little pricey at $190 delivered but he said its a good battery and should last around 10 years in a /5. After owning a number of bikes and cars over 50 years I am still confused over battery quality. I have a 1962 car that had a battery in it for over 15 years, never on a tender, and it was still good, I changed it because that was the right thing to do. And I had a R100rs that ate batteries every 1 1/2 to 2 years. So will try a gel battery and see how it works out.
Thanks for the replys.
Brian

I took my old battery up to Pep Boys and bought a lawn tractor battery (AGM) that was about the same size. It’s a bit narrower so it is easier to remove and install. I think I paid $60 and that was 5 years ago. I keep it on a trickle charge.

Best battery

My vote is for Odyssey batteries. My 84 R65 had an Odyssey PC680 in it when I purchased it some 6.5 years ago. I had a stroke in November, 2017 and then open heart surgery shortly afterward. My bikes sat in my basement with no battery tenders attached. After sitting 11 months the R65 started right up. Tried again a week ago and it failed. Tried recharging it several times but no go, so I ordered another one from Battery Mart ($128.99 w/free shipping). When the brand X battery in my 94R100RT failed summer before last I replaced it with an Odyssy. That bike sat for over 14 months without a charger/tender and the clock was still running, still on time. It was low on charge but a few hours on a 4 amp charger/tender brought it back just fine.

Osyssey's are AGM, so they don't have corrosion issues on the terminals. I can say from experience that they are tough and don't leak. 5 years ago one of my sons center-punched a young buck with the R65. Thanks to a good helmet and riding gear he only had a broken collar bone. The deer was doa. The bike laid on it's side for a good hour with no battery leakage. Insurance totaled it but I bought it back and it started fine. New forks and front fender, dent removal, new paint job and it looks and rides better than before. A great bike deserves a great battery.

Back