• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Anyone from Athens, Ohio?

gsjay

Looking for feed back on the Highlander Motel in Downtown Athens, Ohio?

Good, bad, safe????

tks,
jason

Pretty low score on TripAdvisor.com, only 2 stars. Several pictures of bugs, dirty toilets, other items in need of repair. I'd keep looking elsewhere.

I know absolutely nothing about this specific motel but do have to say that some reviews of some hotels reveal the writers as the most anal retentive OCD persons among humanity. Some things people complain about are plainly ridiculous to anybody but the writer of the review. Find a hotel with 95% positive ratings and then read the one-star ones and you will see what I mean.

This sounds like a perfect opportunity to break out your Anonymous Book and find some listings for Athens members for local feedback about this place or an alternative.

Friedle

A few years back I called a motel of interest (not in Athens, OH) and asked about some of their low ratings on TripAdvisor. They acknowledged some of the reported negatives and explained to me how they have worked to fix the negs. Then they went on to state that they felt some of the comments were posted by some of their competitors (and actually told me which ones they felt were competitor-comments) and were to be taken with a grain of salt. I went ahead and booked with this particular hotel, and found it to be very adequate, even if it was not a 4-star facility.

Of course, as always, YMMV.

I am a heavy user of Tripadvisor.........

I rate every motel and restaurant that I visit. I believe in honest reviews. My needs are simple. Clean, affordable, heat/AC...........

Athens doesn't offer much lodging within walking distance of town. In fact their overall motel situation is less than great.

Might just have to stay in Marietta.

thanks for your thoughts.
jason

The best place to stay in Athens is the Ohio University Inn. I live in Ohio and stayed there (rode my GS down) in late September. Clean, reasonable and bike friendly. Check out the Windy9 websites, it is all nearby, Ohio Triple Nickel (555), 550 and miles of smiles.:) Hocking Hills area is also nearby.

Now Marietta

I have a block of rooms reserved at the Lafayette Hotel in Marietta 0hio for July 4,5,6, 2019

Our local club, BMW Riders Laurel Highlands is going out for the Holiday weekend and we plan on riding the Windy 9 routes.

Room rates start a $88 + tax and are held under Johnstown Motorcycle Group.

1 800 331 9336

You'd all be welcome to join us if you'd like.
Fun town, great riding!

tks,
jason

The annual Riverfront Roar, a 3 day river boat racing event starts on the 6th. It will be busy at the Lafayette, the ground zero of the event. sounds like your timing is good as the streets don't close until Friday noon, but sure you can get to the hotel if staying there. If not riding and you have history lovers, our town has great museums and outdoor history sites also. Slip. 2014 RT,02GS.

Back