• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

idle threats

subconscious

I had a problem with the gas leaking. I think that was repaired.

Before the leaking, I had no problems with the idle or the motor coughing. Now the idel drops well below the 1100 rpms I need to keep the generator light off and the machine running well.

Any ideas for how to remidy this problem?

Thanks.

Who fixed the leak and how did they fix it? Perhaps your idle air screws and/or butterfly stop screws need to be readjusted.

I cleaned the petcock and replaced the gasket located between the tank and the petcock.

So, if I were to adjust the intake, would I just keep playing with the screw until the engine stabilizes?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to fix the problem.

Thanks.

Are you aware that there are TWO screws that affect your idle?

First, there's the throttle stop screw that simply holds the throttle open. PS: no matter how you adjust this screw, the throttle should not be held open by the cable at idle. Just this screw.

Then, there's the idle jet screw.

Also, there's the need to have each carb operating the same, so the engine runs smoothly.

You need to find a local Airhead that has a Twinmax or other tool to adjust carbs. It's pretty hard to survive as a lone wolf with no mechanical knowledge, but you don't have to because there is surely an Airheads club or member close by.

PS: The petcock "washer" is now replaced by a one-piece washer plus filter screen. A much improved design.

Thanks for the information.

I think I will still have to replace the petcock. I was hoping that the new gasket would stop hte leak, but no luck.

the good news is that I was able to calm the idle problem.

As a side note, I cleaned the throttle (chain, teeth, etc.) and it has helped with the smoothness of the acceleration. I think the chain was sticking and releasing which was causing the motor to blip.

Back