• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Considering purchasing a 1994 R1100GS

weschmann

Kawa Afterthought
Hello All,
I've owned a 2001 1200RS and an 2013 F700GS in the past years but moved to a Yamaha Tenere recently, but find I really miss the BMW brand motorcycle. I may have an opportunity to pick up a 1994 1100 GS at a reasonable cost which would get me back into the BMW family. My question is for that model year, are repair parts still available or are they getting to the age where I will start having issues with finding replacements? The bike is in excellent, and has been upgraded with a ceramic clutch, has ABS and heated grips, not really that many miles, (somewhere in the 50000 mile area, and is currently mechanically sound. I would be using this bike as a tour bike, single rider and am not a speed demon or canyon carver extraordinaire, but like to ride around 15000 miles a year, although that will probably decrease somewhat as I have purchased a MC trailer to accommodate my inability to suffer through the hot areas like the Flint hills of Kansas stretches that I have ridden many times, so plan on doing so in my air conditioned Jeep and ride on the other side of the long hot stretches. Everything I read on this particular model is it was one of the favorite bikes of all time and almost more sought after than the 1150 which came out later. The hP of the bike is more than enough for my riding style so with the exception of the age of the bike for finding repair parts, is there anything I should take into consideration? I will probably sell my 2015 Tenere, as I only like to pay for insurance for one bike at a time, so would this be an acceptable change or am I starting to lose it in my older age? The Tenere is a great bike, and I did my first iron butt with her last summer, but with farkles, she tops out just a tad over 600 lbs and would love to get something a little lighter. I think the 1100 tops out around 545, so a 55 lb weight savings.
Any advice would be appreciated......

Upgrade

I thought about upgrading my 1994 R1100RS to a 1994 R1100GS both 80,000 miles on the odometer, but I thought about it long enough that someone else purchased it, non buyers remorse sort of.
R 1100’s most maintenance fairly simple, some day I will upgrade to a newer bike but it will be another R 1100 or I will restore my R 65LS

P.S. if you don’t get the GS pm me I would have some interest in it

I thought about upgrading my 1994 R1100RS to a 1994 R1100GS both 80,000 miles on the odometer, but I thought about it long enough that someone else purchased it, non buyers remorse sort of.
R 1100’s most maintenance fairly simple, some day I will upgrade to a newer bike but it will be another R 1100 or I will restore my R 65LS

P.S. if you don’t get the GS pm me I would have some interest in it

Parts are available. Some dealers stock most. Some dealers stock a few and order the rest but the wait need not be very long for most parts. Voni is still riding her ;94 R1100RS at over 400,000 miles and parts have never been an issue.

Parts are available. Some dealers stock most. Some dealers stock a few and order the rest but the wait need not be very long for most parts. Voni is still riding her ;94 R1100RS at over 400,000 miles and parts have never been an issue.

Paul, I just found out the bike m looking ar is actually just like Voni’s bike and not a GS. I’ve become a GS convert, although I don’t do anything more challenging than gravel roads or dry forest service roads. Is the RS up to that sort of riding or should I pass and keep my current style bike. I went to the bmw 700 GS from a K 1200 RS because I felt it top heavy and way too powerful for anything but asphalt, but that was 80,000 miles ago, so have a much better experience level than before. Don’t necessarily want to be left behind stuck on the roads but don’t want to tear up bike either. Going to take bike on an extended ride next week to get a better fuel for her but still hoping for advice from those more experienced with the bmw family of offerings then my experience level provides. My initial reaction is now to pass on the bike as it probably will not fit into my semi challengable riding style. I should mention I’m 67, 180 lbs and still snow skiing in winter , so physically in pretty good condition to still warrant some challenging riding.....Thanks!

For your consideration-
15,000 miles a year will make an old bike older in a hurry. If you don’t mind working on bikes, you should be fine.
OM

Rs

On the RS you will have less ground clearance and suspension travel, more plastic that can break if you do tip over, more horsepower than a GS, lots of adjustments in handle bars, but not much up, if you want to stand and ride.
Last it has 120/70/ZR 17 front tire, on a cast wheel and on the rear the beloved 160/60/ZR 18 tire and a cast wheel. You might get more off road oriented tires but don’t know what’s available.

Paul, I just found out the bike m looking ar is actually just like Voni’s bike and not a GS. I’ve become a GS convert, although I don’t do anything more challenging than gravel roads or dry forest service roads. Is the RS up to that sort of riding or should I pass and keep my current style bike. .....Thanks!

I think you will be happiest sticking with a more dual sport oriented bike. In addition to the issues in the post above, the 1st and 2nd gear ratios are horrible for off pavement riding.

Paul:

If you were buying, would you have a concern with a pre - '97 Oiler, if the transmission had not been upgraded?

Paul:

If you were buying, would you have a concern with a pre - '97 Oiler, if the transmission had not been upgraded?

No, not if it didn't display failure symptoms. Part of my optimism rests on fact that good later transmissions can be found if needed.

Thanks to all for the guidance. Will take your advice and stick with my current steed and wait for something different to come along that strikes my fancy....

Back