• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1995 R100RT Speedo Lighting

Scarletswirl

Last week I drove my new-to-me '95 R100RT at night for the first time and noticed that the speedometer was completely dark and the tachometer was barely illuminated. Short ride, so no big deal, but I'd like to correct it. From what I understand, the lights associated with these instruments have nothing to do with the status lights (turn-signal, oil pressure, generator, neutral, high-beam). So, based on the exploded views of the instrument cluster I've consulted so far, it would appear the light is built into the speedo, am I wrong? Regardless, is there a way to fix this without replacing the entire speedometer? Anywhere to go to obtain some documentation assuming the repair is possible?
Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm just a newbie.

I might have figured it out

By comparing two parts supplier diagrams and verbiage, it appears that the instrument cluster requires a total of 3 of the 1.2 W bulbs and 4 of the 3W bulbs. Since there is only room for 5 total for the status lights in the center, it can be inferred that the two "extra" 3W bulbs are for the speedo and tacho illumination. This is confirmed by these words:

"This very small 3 Watt bulb (#2821) is one of two used inside the "Motometer" instrument clusters used on most Airhead models from 1974 through 1995.* This bulb illuminates the gauges themselves and two of the indicator lights in the center between the gauges."

I still don't know where exactly these bulbs go, but at least I know which bulbs to buy!

Look at this picture...it's for a /7 but I think this is the basic idea. See the black "blocks" at the top left and right? Those are likely the instrument lighting bulbs.

http://www.pbase.com/dwerbil/image/14562005

If you're not aware, "Kat Dash" has repro-ed the delicate board which carries all the lights, as well as it appears, the speedometer instrument lights. See this image from their website:

https://katdash.com

You can see the two outboard bulbs.

Thanks to both. The picture was very helpful in identifying the locations of the 3W bulbs. Also, after reading from various sources how likely it is for the problem to be something other than light bulb burnout, the Katdash suggestion sounds really good. I wasn't able to access the website, but I see that Bob's BMW offers the Katdash product that fits my bike for $130 including shipping.

I put the Katdash in my 81 RT a couple years ago. Excellent product and lights are visible in sunlight. I also bought the bulbs for the clock and VM.

The bulbs can and do on occasion burn out. I'm old enough to remember having to replace them in the dash of various cars. I have also installed a Katdash in my /6, it is really a great improvement. Highly recommend it.

Thanks to both. The picture was very helpful in identifying the locations of the 3W bulbs. Also, after reading from various sources how likely it is for the problem to be something other than light bulb burnout, the Katdash suggestion sounds really good. I wasn't able to access the website, but I see that Bob's BMW offers the Katdash product that fits my bike for $130 including shipping.

If you get it from the manufacturer, they throw in the speedo gaskets for free. I also recommend getting the electric connection cleaner they offer.

I purchased kit and gasket from Bob's BMW and, since the shipping was free, came out ahead by $2. Got the contact cleaner as well. I'll post in-process pictures when I get it, although the on-line instructions look fairly illustrative.

2nd that on the Kat Dash

The bulbs can and do on occasion burn out. I'm old enough to remember having to replace them in the dash of various cars. I have also installed a Katdash in my /6, it is really a great improvement. Highly recommend it.

Kat Dash:)

Another seeker after the light yea, into the darkness!!

Thanks for the great info about lights and katdash Kurt. I too am having trouble with the dash lights on my 95 R100RT.

Her website is as easy as it gets. http://katdash.com/

No knock on Bob's, they're a great outfit, but buying direct from her site probably nets her more dough. Supporting these endeavours is a great idea as it helps to keep our antiques on the road! She and her husband have put a ton of work to create these improved lighting solutions for airheads that were pretty much unobtanium.

Back