• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2007 K1200R Sport No Start - May Be Computer Issue

rypeters

Hey, I have a 2007 K1200R Sport that I purchased this summer with about 52k miles on it. It is an incredible bike and I have a blast riding it.

Unfortunately, I was having some issues starting it up:
- EWS issue once or twice (just unhooked the battery, hooked everything back up and it was fine)
- the dash wouldn't light up occasionally but eventually would turn on after a delay or several key revolutions
- the bike would be ready to start but it would shutdown completely when startup button was pressed (kickstand was up, was in neutral, etc..)

I started it back in October and it started up fine but as of recent, it won't start at all. The bike is completely dead... We originally thought the battery was dead but the battery is fully charged. We checked connections and wiggled everything we could get our hands on. I took all the body panels off at one point. I was thinking maybe the computer was the issue and since there are no fuses to check and it's just a massive wire harness, we've hit a wall.

I have been searching through the forums to find some type of solution but am not locating anything that is helpful to my situation. Does anybody know of this problem? Should I look into purchasing a new computer? Any tricks or tips to help me get it started or to fix the issues I was having earlier?

Thank you in advance!

35098079_1706102766092180_4985668942811889664_n.jpg38505835_1793623730673416_3711589284118003712_n.jpg

Beautiful bike you have there. :thumb

I'm certainly no expert but from what you describe I'd hazard a wild assed guess that you have a wiring issue of some sort. I don't think you have an ECU issue per se. Could be a connector issue, though. Have you tried unplugging the ECU and checking out the connections for corrosion? Check that your neutral switch, side stand switch and clutch interlock switch are functioning properly. After that I'd start tracing for continuity from the starter button or ignition switch and progress from there. Other more informed minds will likely chime in soon.

Start with the battery. You may think it is fully charged but I don’t see anything indicating the battery has been load tested. Remove the battery and charge for 24hrs *using a charger appropriate for the type of battery*, then take it to a FLAPS like Pep Boys or Autozone and have it load tested. If it tests at all questionable then replace it with a high-quality MC battery like MotoBatt or Odyssey. Once you have a proven good battery then other diagnostics can start, but until then you will just be flailing at the problem.

Best,
DG

Start with the battery. You may think it is fully charged but I don’t see anything indicating the battery has been load tested. Remove the battery and charge for 24hrs *using a charger appropriate for the type of battery*, then take it to a FLAPS like Pep Boys or Autozone and have it load tested. If it tests at all questionable then replace it with a high-quality MC battery like MotoBatt or Odyssey. Once you have a proven good battery then other diagnostics can start, but until then you will just be flailing at the problem.

Best,
DG

I had a battery in my R1150R that tested at 12.9 volts. But a single tail light bulb, when attached, drew it down to about .4 or .6 volts - I forget which. It was a failed collector internal to the battery. It would pass the meter current at the higher voltage but failed with even a piddling load.

Unfortunately, I was having some issues starting it up:
- EWS issue once or twice

Welcome to the forum and nice looking R Sport :thumb
You don't see many of that model.

BMW had a bunch of bad Ring Antennas. When those were bad you would get the EWS message.

Thanks for the responses!

The battery we have in there has been load tested. We tried a new battery, as well as jump starting the bike and still nothing. Also pulled the the control unit out to check for corrosion. I will be pulling the second control unit in a little bit to check that one.

I just got off the phone with a service advisor from the dealership in Richfield, MN. He thinks it may be the ring antenna not communicating with the key at all since I've already had the EWS issue earlier this summer. Does anyone know if warranty covers that at all? or is that an out of pocket purchase?

He thinks it may be the ring antenna not communicating with the key at all since I've already had the EWS issue earlier this summer. Does anyone know if warranty covers that at all? or is that an out of pocket purchase?

I don't remember if the ring antenna was a recall or service campaign.
If the shop replaced your ring antenna this last summer it has a 2 year warranty.

At least the ring antenna does not cost much, I think it's around $50.

I don't remember if the ring antenna was a recall or service campaign.
If the shop replaced your ring antenna this last summer it has a 2 year warranty.

At least the ring antenna does not cost much, I think it's around $50.

It should be a cheap enough fix. *knock on wood* Hopefully the ring antenna is the issue and not the wire harness or control units. I really don't feel like taking apart a wire harness!

Thank you everyone for your help.

Back