Thread: 2010 RT - After market screen advice

2010 RT - After market screen advice

I have a friend here is Australia who is looking for an aftermarket screen for his 2010 RT that will offer better wind and rain protection than the OEM screen. He's a big guy and well over six foot. Any suggstions please?
    It seems that Quiet Werks and Puig don't do screens for bikes of that age.

Schmails
    I interested in this as well. I was wondering who had experience with some of the manufacturers and who has an aftermarket screen that provides less buffeting and wind noise.

I have a US 2011 R1200RT

Thanks!
    —Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Greetings from the Philadelphia Suburbs.
    '11 R1200RT Ostra Gray

2010 RT- after market screen advice

I too live in Oz

I have an 06 RT1200

I have a ZedTechnic screen which is great, except for the odd 37 degree centigrade plus day, and is very effective.

I am above average upper body height( but not the same long body height as some 6 foot plus riders), but in Canberra winters I can set that Zed Technic screen so it is dead quiet ( with earplugs), with no buffeting. Its great on a long trip, but you have to watch side winds on the Hay Plains

Until I scratched it in a driveway drop, the standard BMW RT screen was only used Dec-Feb

One other issue.[If you ride solo, say down the Hume Highway to Melbourne at constant 110 kph, some screens can set up a slight " wobble". Nothing dangerous, but noticeable, because a vortex sets up between the rider and the top box. I went back to standard BMW 27 litre top box from the 47 litre larger box, just to eliminate that " wobble"

Hope that helps

Bill

Thanks so much Bill.
    I will forward your coments top my friend, and wait to see what other ideas my enquiry reveals.

Aeroflow, ZTechnik's VStream, California Scientific, Parabellum, Rifel - all make windshields for that year of an RT that are wider/taller. Getting it to Australia from here won't be inexpensive.

I personally like the idea of having a vent/lip/tunnel like the Aeroflow or California as it seems to reduce back pressure. My current VStream does create some back pressure when in the tallest position (I'm 6').

I would consider adding stronger windshield arms (BeemerBoneyard has them) - the bigger shield puts a lot of stress on these small parts.
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post
    I would consider adding stronger windshield arms (BeemerBoneyard has them) - the bigger shield puts a lot of stress on these small parts.
    +1

IMHO ,The stainless steel windshield arms are a must if you install a bigger shield. The OEM ones are not solid enough.
    I upgraded the upper ones on my 07RT when I installed my VStream shield years ago.

YMMV
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    2007 R1200RT - IBA # 56396

RT1200 After market Screen

Sorry - I should have mentioned replacing the windscreen arms.

Mine snapped after a year or so of installing the Zedtechnic- cast metal BMW rubbish ! There was a chap in Canada ( I think) who sold machined SS arms and these may be the ones I purchased, but Beemer Boneyard also has similar, as noted.

BTW its no big deal when an arm snaps on the road- the screen does not fit properly and you lose the raising /lowering function, which I use a lot

I also recall there is a Zedtechnic distributor in Australia, to save on the outrageous postage from USA to Oz

Bill

I happen to have an extra tall and wide Cee Bailey... For Sale...

But it is in the US, in CA.

I am 5'10, it was a bit tall for me, went with a lower screen.
    John.

R1200rt

Quote Originally Posted by jstrube View Post
    I happen to have an extra tall and wide Cee Bailey... For Sale...

But it is in the US, in CA.

I am 5'10, it was a bit tall for me, went with a lower screen.

What an I, missing 6’2” on my 3rd R1200RT 2013 annivesity edition never changed a windscreen
    Have ridden oven 100K in lots of rain temp down on the 30’s never thought I, was having a problem.
    Are the after market screens that good?Please enlighten me.