• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2010 RT - After market screen advice

stinkypete

I have a friend here is Australia who is looking for an aftermarket screen for his 2010 RT that will offer better wind and rain protection than the OEM screen. He's a big guy and well over six foot. Any suggstions please?
It seems that Quiet Werks and Puig don't do screens for bikes of that age.

I interested in this as well. I was wondering who had experience with some of the manufacturers and who has an aftermarket screen that provides less buffeting and wind noise.

I have a US 2011 R1200RT

Thanks!
—Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010 RT- after market screen advice

I too live in Oz

I have an 06 RT1200

I have a ZedTechnic screen which is great, except for the odd 37 degree centigrade plus day, and is very effective.

I am above average upper body height( but not the same long body height as some 6 foot plus riders), but in Canberra winters I can set that Zed Technic screen so it is dead quiet ( with earplugs), with no buffeting. Its great on a long trip, but you have to watch side winds on the Hay Plains

Until I scratched it in a driveway drop, the standard BMW RT screen was only used Dec-Feb

One other issue.[If you ride solo, say down the Hume Highway to Melbourne at constant 110 kph, some screens can set up a slight " wobble". Nothing dangerous, but noticeable, because a vortex sets up between the rider and the top box. I went back to standard BMW 27 litre top box from the 47 litre larger box, just to eliminate that " wobble"

Hope that helps

Bill

Thanks so much Bill.
I will forward your coments top my friend, and wait to see what other ideas my enquiry reveals.

Aeroflow, ZTechnik's VStream, California Scientific, Parabellum, Rifel - all make windshields for that year of an RT that are wider/taller. Getting it to Australia from here won't be inexpensive.

I personally like the idea of having a vent/lip/tunnel like the Aeroflow or California as it seems to reduce back pressure. My current VStream does create some back pressure when in the tallest position (I'm 6').

I would consider adding stronger windshield arms (BeemerBoneyard has them) - the bigger shield puts a lot of stress on these small parts.

I would consider adding stronger windshield arms (BeemerBoneyard has them) - the bigger shield puts a lot of stress on these small parts.

+1

IMHO ,The stainless steel windshield arms are a must if you install a bigger shield. The OEM ones are not solid enough.
I upgraded the upper ones on my 07RT when I installed my VStream shield years ago.

YMMV

RT1200 After market Screen

Sorry - I should have mentioned replacing the windscreen arms.

Mine snapped after a year or so of installing the Zedtechnic- cast metal BMW rubbish ! There was a chap in Canada ( I think) who sold machined SS arms and these may be the ones I purchased, but Beemer Boneyard also has similar, as noted.

BTW its no big deal when an arm snaps on the road- the screen does not fit properly and you lose the raising /lowering function, which I use a lot

I also recall there is a Zedtechnic distributor in Australia, to save on the outrageous postage from USA to Oz

Bill

I happen to have an extra tall and wide Cee Bailey... For Sale...

But it is in the US, in CA.

I am 5'10, it was a bit tall for me, went with a lower screen.

R1200rt

I happen to have an extra tall and wide Cee Bailey... For Sale...

But it is in the US, in CA.

I am 5'10, it was a bit tall for me, went with a lower screen.
[SUB][/SUB]
What an I, missing 6’2” on my 3rd R1200RT 2013 annivesity edition never changed a windscreen
Have ridden oven 100K in lots of rain temp down on the 30’s never thought I, was having a problem.
Are the after market screens that good?Please enlighten me.

Windshield with laminar lip.

I was sure I saw a member that had a RT windshield with a laminar lip. I had a laminar lip on Honda ST1300 made in UK, but they only make accessories for Hondas.

Back