• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Any Intersting Routes to Lebanon from St. Louis

My Stomping Grounds

You have been given some great advice on routes. Lamberts, LBL, Cave in Rock and the Ferry, Jeff Davis Monument in Hopkinsville.... all great stuff. You cant really go wrong stopping by any of them. I will tell you that there are no good motorcycle roads during the Illinois portion of your trip. I enjoy stopping to see the convergence of the Mississippi and Ohio rivers in Cairo. But everything in southern Illinois is farm land.

On the Kentucky side, things get a little better. But it is still a lot of farmland. You will see a little more forests and curves.

I know you have ruled out Indiana on the trip to Lebanon, but there is a great route along the Ohio river if you have time on the way back. Pick up Indiana Route 62 just west of Louisville and follow it to Leavenworth, Indiana and Indiana Route 66 to Saint Meinrad, Indiana. It is one of my favorite rides in Indiana. It really offers the best of what Indiana has to offer in terms of motorcycle roads. Once you hit St Meinrad, the roads are ok, but a lot more gentle sweepers and farm territory. The good news is that if you get tired of riding and want to get home, this route parallels I64.

The roads are typical Indiana flat land, but for sightseeing the largest Memorial outside of Washington DC is in Vincennes, Indiana (about 50 miles north of Evansville). The George Rogers Clark Memorial is the site that commemorates the man and western battles of the Revolutionary War. Also in Vincennes is the Indiana Military Museum. Its a very nice museum that has a lot of great airplanes, vehicles, and military memorabilia.

Attachments

• 6 R GRC Side EDIT[1].jpg
    6 R GRC Side EDIT[1].jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 31
Tomorrow we'll try 3 south of Cape Girardeau. I don't see any closed sections there.
On the trip home I had planned to cross the Mississippi at Cairo but I see that's closed. Maybe we'll go north and cross on the interstate bridge.

The Mississippi River bridge at Cairo is supposed to reopen on Thursday.

You have been given some great advice on routes. Lamberts, LBL, Cave in Rock and the Ferry, Jeff Davis Monument in Hopkinsville.... all great stuff. You cant really go wrong stopping by any of them. I will tell you that there are no good motorcycle roads during the Illinois portion of your trip. I enjoy stopping to see the convergence of the Mississippi and Ohio rivers in Cairo. But everything in southern Illinois is farm land.

On the Kentucky side, things get a little better. But it is still a lot of farmland. You will see a little more forests and curves.

I know you have ruled out Indiana on the trip to Lebanon, but there is a great route along the Ohio river if you have time on the way back. Pick up Indiana Route 62 just west of Louisville and follow it to Leavenworth, Indiana and Indiana Route 66 to Saint Meinrad, Indiana. It is one of my favorite rides in Indiana. It really offers the best of what Indiana has to offer in terms of motorcycle roads. Once you hit St Meinrad, the roads are ok, but a lot more gentle sweepers and farm territory. The good news is that if you get tired of riding and want to get home, this route parallels I64.

The roads are typical Indiana flat land, but for sightseeing the largest Memorial outside of Washington DC is in Vincennes, Indiana (about 50 miles north of Evansville). The George Rogers Clark Memorial is the site that commemorates the man and western battles of the Revolutionary War. Also in Vincennes is the Indiana Military Museum. Its a very nice museum that has a lot of great airplanes, vehicles, and military memorabilia.

Thanks for the tips. That’s what’s great about the MOA Forum, the first-hand advice from members.

I’m on my K16GT for this trip so I’ll relax on the flat/straight part of the Illinois leg to Lebanon. Thanks for the return trip suggestion through Indiana. I thought I’d figure out my return trip to STL while hanging out before or after the rally at the hotel in Lebanon. I’ll map out that Indiana route recommendation.

Hope to see you at the Beer tent.

Tomorrow we'll try 3 south of Cape Girardeau. I don't see any closed sections there.
On the trip home I had planned to cross the Mississippi at Cairo but I see that's closed. Maybe we'll go north and cross on the interstate bridge.
I guess this goes into the quirky category but it's kinda neat to dip a toe (or boot) into the Ohio and Mississippi rivers while looking at Missouri, Illinois and Kentucky. Fort Defiance Park. Free, small, but interesting.

We were able to cross the Mississippi at Cape Girardeau, water was up to the road shoulders east of the bridge.
Going south from the bridge hwy 3 had water on the road shoulders. One section had water over both lanes. About 2 inches deep at the crown and not much current.
The DOT only let's one lane through at a time.
We had 430 miles of fun roads today and we stayed ahead of the rain.
Riding through Paducah Ky and Carksville Tn. Was a pain.

Back