Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Any Intersting Routes to Lebanon from St. Louis

Quote Originally Posted by flyhi2cfar View Post
    YES ! Many nice routes are available into/from this rally site. What I would NOT do after riding near 8 hours for Fridays arrival...
    is take ANY "long OR short loop" on Saturday.

Maybe a longer selected ride home on Sunday; but with all there is, and that goes on AT the Rally...
    if your out day riding on the ONE day you have there.... why go?
    Going to visit the vendors on Friday when I arrive. It's just me--but I can only do so much at the Rally all day on Saturday, plus I only have 3 days to ride. I'm going to get out Saturday morning and take a 150 mile loop to the north and east that was suggested on another forum. Looks like some very good riding just east of Lafayette TN. Plenty of time to make it back, clean up and head over to the beer tent and enjoy the entertainment on Saturday afternoon and evening!
    Mike M
    2016 R1200GS - 2016 K1600GT
    MOA# 86571

Quote Originally Posted by mike m View Post
    My STL to Lebanon trip route is mostly set thanks to the responses on this thread.

Looks like its I-255 south of STL across the Mississippi River to Rt. 3 south along the river all the way to Cairo IL. Then, I'll weave my way over to the northern entrance of the Land Between the Lakes and take it to the southern exit. Will work my way east to Clarksville TN----and here is where it's still up in the air----I want to bypass Nashville to the north and come down the other side to Rt. 70 into Lebanon.

I'm looking to stay off the interstates and on 2 lane roads
    From Clarksville, take US79 to Bowling Green. There, pickup US231 and follow it on to Lebanon. In Lebanon, look for US70 (East High St), going south. When US70N takes off to the left, be sure to take the right fork (E Baddour Pkwy going south), which will take you right by the Wilson Co Fairgrounds.
    J Goertz
    BMW MOAL
    2015 BMW R1200RT
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE

Quote Originally Posted by jgoertz View Post
    From Clarksville, take US79 to Bowling Green. There, pickup US231 and follow it on to Lebanon. In Lebanon, look for US70 (East High St), going south. When US70N takes off to the left, be sure to take the right fork (E Baddour Pkwy going south), which will take you right by the Wilson Co Fairgrounds.
    I was looking at heading on RT 12 from Clarksville south to Ashland City. Then on to 155 over to the north to bypass Nashville. Problem is 155 bypass to the north may be part of the Nashville traffic mess late afternoon on Friday when Iíd be going through there.
    Mike M
    MOA# 86571

I was looking at heading on RT 12 from Clarksville south to Ashland City. Then on to 155 over to the north to bypass Nashville. Problem is 155 bypass to the north may be part of the Nashville traffic mess late afternoon on Friday when Iíd be going through there.
    155 is the Briley Parkway. It's definitely part of Nashville's traffic circle. It looks like it should be a loop, but it's heavy traffic most of the day (not just Friday pm). You'll definitely be in heavy traffic on a Friday afternoon!
    J Goertz
    BMW MOAL
    2015 BMW R1200RT
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE

Is the road running down the length (north to south) in the Land Between the Lakes a worthwhile ride? If itís heavy with traffic or just not all that interesting, I may just cut across it on 68. Thanks!
    Mike M
    MOA# 86571

Is the road running down the length (north to south) in the Land Between the Lakes a worthwhile ride? If itís heavy with traffic or just not all that interesting, I may just cut across it on 68. Thanks!
    The LBL route is a good ride and one I have used many times running from AL to STL. There are no services along it so plan to fuel either before or after. There are a lot of side roads off in both directions that if you are dirt road type rider you will love. Lots of old family cemeteries and lake vistas (if you have the time)

Safe travels and we'll see you at the Boogie!
    Vance Harrelson
    2019 Rally Chair
    MOA Foundation Director / Ambassador
    R1200GSA "Buck" / G310GS "Tiny"

We have crossed it several times on 68, but have not run the north south road.
    On the way to the rally or the return trip I plan to run the Trace north/south road to see what's there.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I have ridden and driven the full length of the trace several times itís all nice. On the side roads you can find lots of GS type gravel roads, lots of dirt bike type roads, and on the south end of the trace west side several nice paved not straight roads. Stop at one of the visitors centers pick up map of LBL roads ( they be numbered) and spend a day exploring when you find a fun loop ride it both ways to see which way is more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    From St. Louis I would go to Illinois Rt. 3 go south until you get to Illinois 146 go east until it ends at Illinois 1 go south to Cave-In-Rock cross the Ohio River on the free ferry.
    Illinois 3 parallels the Mississippi River ( in Chester, Il. Good smorgasbord restaurant called the harvest house and lots of Popeye and Olive Oyl stuff. Also covered bridge on Il. 150 east of town a few miles)
    South of Chester you start running in to Shawnee National Forest, when you hit Il. 146 ( Ware, Il. ) go east. If you need a BMW dealer Grassroots BMW is south on 146 in Cape Girardeau, Mo.
    Back to 146 east in Jonesboro, Il. Place called Dixie Barbecue also good eats, after you go through Jonesboro, Anna and Vienna you are soon in the heart of Shawnee National Forest you will hit the Ohio River at Golconda from there up River to Cave-In-Rock.
    Camp or stay In Cave-In-Rock area or Land Between the Lakes area 1 1/2 hours further at either place you are a few hours from Lebanon, Tennessee
    Revised my route due to flooding on RT. 3 along the Mississippi River. I’m going to head east from RT 3 on 154 to Pinckneyville, IL. Then south on 127 through Trail of Tears Nat’l Forest to Jonesboro and east on 146 through Shawnee Nat’l Forest as you recommended to Cave in the Rock.

Then I’ll take the free ferry across the Ohio River into KY and southeast on 68 through Hopkinsville, Russellville and Franklin, finally down into Lebanon. A 380 mile day and 10 hours with stops for fuel and a BBQ lunch in Jonesboro. It should be a great ride to the MOA Rally! Rolling out of STL around 6am on Friday if anyone wants to ride along.
    Last edited by mike m; 06-12-2019 at 02:26 AM.
    Mike M
    MOA# 86571

Tomorrow we'll try 3 south of Cape Girardeau. I don't see any closed sections there.
    On the trip home I had planned to cross the Mississippi at Cairo but I see that's closed. Maybe we'll go north and cross on the interstate bridge.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

My Stomping Grounds

You have been given some great advice on routes. Lamberts, LBL, Cave in Rock and the Ferry, Jeff Davis Monument in Hopkinsville.... all great stuff. You cant really go wrong stopping by any of them. I will tell you that there are no good motorcycle roads during the Illinois portion of your trip. I enjoy stopping to see the convergence of the Mississippi and Ohio rivers in Cairo. But everything in southern Illinois is farm land.

On the Kentucky side, things get a little better. But it is still a lot of farmland. You will see a little more forests and curves.

I know you have ruled out Indiana on the trip to Lebanon, but there is a great route along the Ohio river if you have time on the way back. Pick up Indiana Route 62 just west of Louisville and follow it to Leavenworth, Indiana and Indiana Route 66 to Saint Meinrad, Indiana. It is one of my favorite rides in Indiana. It really offers the best of what Indiana has to offer in terms of motorcycle roads. Once you hit St Meinrad, the roads are ok, but a lot more gentle sweepers and farm territory. The good news is that if you get tired of riding and want to get home, this route parallels I64.

The roads are typical Indiana flat land, but for sightseeing the largest Memorial outside of Washington DC is in Vincennes, Indiana (about 50 miles north of Evansville). The George Rogers Clark Memorial is the site that commemorates the man and western battles of the Revolutionary War. Also in Vincennes is the Indiana Military Museum. Its a very nice museum that has a lot of great airplanes, vehicles, and military memorabilia.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Tomorrow we'll try 3 south of Cape Girardeau. I don't see any closed sections there.
    On the trip home I had planned to cross the Mississippi at Cairo but I see that's closed. Maybe we'll go north and cross on the interstate bridge.
    The Mississippi River bridge at Cairo is supposed to reopen on Thursday.
    Neal - '16 R1200GS / '81 R65

Quote Originally Posted by rguy View Post
    The Mississippi River bridge at Cairo is supposed to reopen on Thursday.
    Thanks for that info.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Quote Originally Posted by astros50 View Post
    You have been given some great advice on routes. Lamberts, LBL, Cave in Rock and the Ferry, Jeff Davis Monument in Hopkinsville.... all great stuff. You cant really go wrong stopping by any of them. I will tell you that there are no good motorcycle roads during the Illinois portion of your trip. I enjoy stopping to see the convergence of the Mississippi and Ohio rivers in Cairo. But everything in southern Illinois is farm land.

On the Kentucky side, things get a little better. But it is still a lot of farmland. You will see a little more forests and curves.

I know you have ruled out Indiana on the trip to Lebanon, but there is a great route along the Ohio river if you have time on the way back. Pick up Indiana Route 62 just west of Louisville and follow it to Leavenworth, Indiana and Indiana Route 66 to Saint Meinrad, Indiana. It is one of my favorite rides in Indiana. It really offers the best of what Indiana has to offer in terms of motorcycle roads. Once you hit St Meinrad, the roads are ok, but a lot more gentle sweepers and farm territory. The good news is that if you get tired of riding and want to get home, this route parallels I64.

The roads are typical Indiana flat land, but for sightseeing the largest Memorial outside of Washington DC is in Vincennes, Indiana (about 50 miles north of Evansville). The George Rogers Clark Memorial is the site that commemorates the man and western battles of the Revolutionary War. Also in Vincennes is the Indiana Military Museum. Its a very nice museum that has a lot of great airplanes, vehicles, and military memorabilia.
    Thanks for the tips. That’s what’s great about the MOA Forum, the first-hand advice from members.

I’m on my K16GT for this trip so I’ll relax on the flat/straight part of the Illinois leg to Lebanon. Thanks for the return trip suggestion through Indiana. I thought I’d figure out my return trip to STL while hanging out before or after the rally at the hotel in Lebanon. I’ll map out that Indiana route recommendation.

Hope to see you at the Beer tent.
    Mike M
    MOA# 86571

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I guess this goes into the quirky category but it's kinda neat to dip a toe (or boot) into the Ohio and Mississippi rivers while looking at Missouri, Illinois and Kentucky. Fort Defiance Park. Free, small, but interesting.
    "Have BMW. Will Travel"