• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Any Intersting Routes to Lebanon from St. Louis

I wonder if you're seeing a different map?
The map I see only has one route. 7 hours and 7 minutes, 385 miles.

Here is a screenshot of the route I see in my link.
View attachment 72388

Looks like good route, this is what comes up on my tablet when hitting your link. It looks it’s picking up your route from stl to Lebanon than changing it to fastest route which must be some default setting on my tablet. Gets to the usual choices all interstate, no interstate, some interstate than the Nashville or not choice.

682C7B04-EB9B-481E-9B18-BA1FBCAF11E8.png

Last edited:
Thanks, that's what I started with, then I modified it.
Looks like when I copy the link or embed the map it only saves the start and end point and none of the points between.

Route

Thanks, that's what I started with, then I modified it.
Looks like when I copy the link or embed the map it only saves the start and end point and none of the points between.

Above never happens with paper maps :)

Lee good route if you don’t leave to early, grab lunch in Sikeston at

C5619020-2D7F-4FEA-87A9-06DA9372EDCD.png

Than a stop at Boomland, cheap gas, beer, discount tobacco products and.

BECF7C2A-645D-4A16-8C1E-D62E8F65148C.jpeg

You can also camp

4626B718-C879-4FDC-A04B-A1A3FFAB1786.png

grab lunch in Sikeston at

We stayed in Sikeston last August and I saw there was a Lamberts a mile or two from the motel.
It was close to 100F so we did not feel like walking or gearing back up.
We walked across the street to a Mexican restaurant :)

Routes too and fro...

YES ! Many nice routes are available into/from this rally site. What I would NOT do after riding near 8 hours for Fridays arrival...
is take ANY "long OR short loop" on Saturday.

Maybe a longer selected ride home on Sunday; but with all there is, and that goes on AT the Rally...
if your out day riding on the ONE day you have there.... why go?

Maps vs Gps.

I won't tour without both. I prefer a "regional" map from AAA or similar for the big picture. I use the GPS for details of "where I am". I personally don't enter GPS routes - just my next waypoint, either as a destination or a a waypoint Then I follow the route I picked from my MAP. And on the GPS that is seldom either the fastest or shortest. It is my mental calculation of best for me.

At least 90% of the time I prefer a route different than the GPS. But the GPS recalculation soon catches up. It is not a defect. It my choice vs the "fastest" on the the Interstate and the "shortest" in the the residential neighborhoods.

My message is riders still need to think, as hard as that might be.

Paul is Right

Paper maps for the big picture! The first thing you should notice for the St. Louis to Lebanon route is that you are going to pass through the Cairo, Illinois area, Paducah, Kentucky, Cave-In-Rock, Illinois, Old Shawneetown, or the Evansville, Indiana area take your choice of one of these places otherwise you are not going to get across The Ohio River. The Mississippi River more choices, the Tennessee and Cumberland Rivers you cross in the Land Between the Lakes area or miss them by crossing the Ohio upstream of Paducah. The point I am trying to make many roads few river crossings.
Next planning point: Nashville, Tennessee if you leave St. Louis Friday morning and screw around much you will hit Nashville during afternoon rush hours and worse yet Friday afternoon rush hour ( triple suck people going home, people leaving town and people coming into town for the weekend ).
If you go around Nashville and screw around much you get to rally late on Friday.
Last choice leave Thursday after work if you can and get 3 or 4 hours of the boring riding done, than take a fun route the rest of the way Friday.

For those whom may be interested in odd or weird things, feel free to check out the Bell Witch homeplace in Adams, TN. It's more or less on the way between Evansville, IN & Lebanon.

Regardless of one's belief's in the occult, there's documented issues between the "witch" & the John Bell family. Even Andrew Jackson had a run-in with her before he gained the presidency.

There's also a cool little town called Red Boiling Springs. Full of bed-n-breakfasts, it also has a neat little motorcycle museum.

Trivia: Red Boiling Springs high school holds the TN state record for football team losses in a row. Seems like it was 60-something before they finally won one. :dance

How bad is plowing through Nashville on Sunday?

I keep hearing about weekday drive times. But what is I-24 to I-40 like on Sundays?

My STL to Lebanon trip route is mostly set thanks to the responses on this thread.

Looks like its I-255 south of STL across the Mississippi River to Rt. 3 south along the river all the way to Cairo IL. Then, I'll weave my way over to the northern entrance of the Land Between the Lakes and take it to the southern exit. Will work my way east to Clarksville TN----and here is where it's still up in the air----I want to bypass Nashville to the north and come down the other side to Rt. 70 into Lebanon.

I'm looking to stay off the interstates and on 2 lane roads

Last edited:
YES ! Many nice routes are available into/from this rally site. What I would NOT do after riding near 8 hours for Fridays arrival...
is take ANY "long OR short loop" on Saturday.

Maybe a longer selected ride home on Sunday; but with all there is, and that goes on AT the Rally...
if your out day riding on the ONE day you have there.... why go?

Going to visit the vendors on Friday when I arrive. It's just me--but I can only do so much at the Rally all day on Saturday, plus I only have 3 days to ride. I'm going to get out Saturday morning and take a 150 mile loop to the north and east that was suggested on another forum. Looks like some very good riding just east of Lafayette TN. Plenty of time to make it back, clean up and head over to the beer tent and enjoy the entertainment on Saturday afternoon and evening!

My STL to Lebanon trip route is mostly set thanks to the responses on this thread.

Looks like its I-255 south of STL across the Mississippi River to Rt. 3 south along the river all the way to Cairo IL. Then, I'll weave my way over to the northern entrance of the Land Between the Lakes and take it to the southern exit. Will work my way east to Clarksville TN----and here is where it's still up in the air----I want to bypass Nashville to the north and come down the other side to Rt. 70 into Lebanon.

I'm looking to stay off the interstates and on 2 lane roads

From Clarksville, take US79 to Bowling Green. There, pickup US231 and follow it on to Lebanon. In Lebanon, look for US70 (East High St), going south. When US70N takes off to the left, be sure to take the right fork (E Baddour Pkwy going south), which will take you right by the Wilson Co Fairgrounds.

From Clarksville, take US79 to Bowling Green. There, pickup US231 and follow it on to Lebanon. In Lebanon, look for US70 (East High St), going south. When US70N takes off to the left, be sure to take the right fork (E Baddour Pkwy going south), which will take you right by the Wilson Co Fairgrounds.

I was looking at heading on RT 12 from Clarksville south to Ashland City. Then on to 155 over to the north to bypass Nashville. Problem is 155 bypass to the north may be part of the Nashville traffic mess late afternoon on Friday when I’d be going through there.

I was looking at heading on RT 12 from Clarksville south to Ashland City. Then on to 155 over to the north to bypass Nashville. Problem is 155 bypass to the north may be part of the Nashville traffic mess late afternoon on Friday when I’d be going through there.

155 is the Briley Parkway. It's definitely part of Nashville's traffic circle. It looks like it should be a loop, but it's heavy traffic most of the day (not just Friday pm). You'll definitely be in heavy traffic on a Friday afternoon!

Is the road running down the length (north to south) in the Land Between the Lakes a worthwhile ride? If it’s heavy with traffic or just not all that interesting, I may just cut across it on 68. Thanks!

Is the road running down the length (north to south) in the Land Between the Lakes a worthwhile ride? If it’s heavy with traffic or just not all that interesting, I may just cut across it on 68. Thanks!

The LBL route is a good ride and one I have used many times running from AL to STL. There are no services along it so plan to fuel either before or after. There are a lot of side roads off in both directions that if you are dirt road type rider you will love. Lots of old family cemeteries and lake vistas (if you have the time)

Safe travels and we'll see you at the Boogie!

We have crossed it several times on 68, but have not run the north south road.
On the way to the rally or the return trip I plan to run the Trace north/south road to see what's there.

I have ridden and driven the full length of the trace several times it’s all nice. On the side roads you can find lots of GS type gravel roads, lots of dirt bike type roads, and on the south end of the trace west side several nice paved not straight roads. Stop at one of the visitors centers pick up map of LBL roads ( they be numbered) and spend a day exploring when you find a fun loop ride it both ways to see which way is more fun.

From St. Louis I would go to Illinois Rt. 3 go south until you get to Illinois 146 go east until it ends at Illinois 1 go south to Cave-In-Rock cross the Ohio River on the free ferry.
Illinois 3 parallels the Mississippi River ( in Chester, Il. Good smorgasbord restaurant called the harvest house and lots of Popeye and Olive Oyl stuff. Also covered bridge on Il. 150 east of town a few miles)
South of Chester you start running in to Shawnee National Forest, when you hit Il. 146 ( Ware, Il. ) go east. If you need a BMW dealer Grassroots BMW is south on 146 in Cape Girardeau, Mo.
Back to 146 east in Jonesboro, Il. Place called Dixie Barbecue also good eats, after you go through Jonesboro, Anna and Vienna you are soon in the heart of Shawnee National Forest you will hit the Ohio River at Golconda from there up River to Cave-In-Rock.
Camp or stay In Cave-In-Rock area or Land Between the Lakes area 1 1/2 hours further at either place you are a few hours from Lebanon, Tennessee

Revised my route due to flooding on RT. 3 along the Mississippi River. I’m going to head east from RT 3 on 154 to Pinckneyville, IL. Then south on 127 through Trail of Tears Nat’l Forest to Jonesboro and east on 146 through Shawnee Nat’l Forest as you recommended to Cave in the Rock.

Then I’ll take the free ferry across the Ohio River into KY and southeast on 68 through Hopkinsville, Russellville and Franklin, finally down into Lebanon. A 380 mile day and 10 hours with stops for fuel and a BBQ lunch in Jonesboro. It should be a great ride to the MOA Rally! Rolling out of STL around 6am on Friday if anyone wants to ride along.

Last edited:
Tomorrow we'll try 3 south of Cape Girardeau. I don't see any closed sections there.
On the trip home I had planned to cross the Mississippi at Cairo but I see that's closed. Maybe we'll go north and cross on the interstate bridge.

Back