Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Broken Tool from BMW Service Toolkit

  1. #1

    Broken Tool from BMW Service Toolkit

    Greetings All,
    Happy new year!
    Yesterday in preparing for a trip south for warmer weather I had to remove the rear tire to facilitate brake pad replacement, I broke the tool that is supplied in the kit to remove the wheel lugs. And yes I am an ex-Aerospace Engineer and know the correct rotation of the lug to remove it.
    Do any of you know if I can purchase a individual piece in the service kit? I do not desire to carry my regular tools due to weight and size. Maybe I can get a guy to weld it back together and re-inforce the weak end.


    IMG_9286-L.jpg
    gone.

  2. #2
    '14 R1200 GS Adv bigjohnsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Black Hills, SD
    Posts
    35

  3. #3
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    14,266
    Might want to explain to your dealer what happened. BMW could have a bad run from their supplier.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  4. #4
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,421
    Is that tool from a optional tool kit?

    I carry a short breaker bar and bits under the seat.
    Tools (1).JPG


    My wife carries these under her seat but the one that fits the wheel lugs does not feel stout enough to get enough torque.
    Tools (2).JPG
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  5. #5
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,421
    I found the Supplemental Tool Kit.

    You can purchase the bit adapter and swivel adapter separate but not the handle.
    The complete kit costs $226.


    B0007804.png
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Might want to explain to your dealer what happened. BMW could have a bad run from their supplier.
    OM
    May be a good try and see what they say!
    gone.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I found the Supplemental Tool Kit.

    You can purchase the bit adapter and swivel adapter separate but not the handle.
    The complete kit costs $226.


    B0007804.png
    I really dont want to spend $226 just for the part that item #2 attaches to.
    gone.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Is that tool from a optional tool kit?

    I carry a short breaker bar and bits under the seat.
    Tools (1).JPG


    My wife carries these under her seat but the one that fits the wheel lugs does not feel stout enough to get enough torque.
    Tools (2).JPG
    Nice kit Lee!
    gone.

  9. #9
    Registered User bobsguns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    SE TN
    Posts
    60
    As a long time gear head, it baffles me as to why one would want to carry this Chinese-made junk on their bikes as an emergency kit. Just like the OP showed, these junk tool do not hold up under any sort of use. There's entirely too many good options for riders to use. Even if one doesn't have access to a tool truck, 99% of major tool brands are just a click away.

    If you don't want to spend the coin for Snap-On, there's always Cornwell, Mac or Matco. Personally, I opt for Snap-On as I've been using & putting their tool agents kids thru college for decades now.

    Buy once, cry once. But when you're 100 miles in the middle of BFE, you don't need nor want tool failure.

    Mfgrs, like the gubbermint, always go with the lowest bidder on stuff like this. We ride nice bikes, shouldn't we use nice tools as well?

    My .o2

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsguns View Post
    As a long time gear head, it baffles me as to why one would want to carry this Chinese-made junk on their bikes as an emergency kit.
    I agree with you but need to be able to have the tools on the bike at all times, even in the event I am sans panniers. I have the Touratech toolbox attached to the left side of my bike holding plug kit, air compressor, tire gauge & tool kit. It is with me at all times when riding. If I carried anything more robust it would not fit. That is the balancing act one must attempt to ensure to be prepared.
    gone.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    423
    Tool kit?

    I have been evaluating my tool kit. I have been from each end of the states and Canada to Texas and have carried tools I have never used. I have not decided for sure, but starting this spring I am about 99% sure my tool kit is going to be a cell phone, credit card and towing insurance. The only time I have had a break down it was way beyond a road side repair.

  12. #12
    SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Big Sky Country
    Posts
    7,446
    Never had a Craftsman or Kobalt tool fail. I do a great deal of maintenance on all our bikes.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

  13. #13
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,421
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwclub343 View Post
    I agree with you but need to be able to have the tools on the bike at all times, even in the event I am sans panniers. I have the Touratech toolbox attached to the left side of my bike holding plug kit, air compressor, tire gauge & tool kit. It is with me at all times when riding. If I carried anything more robust it would not fit. That is the balancing act one must attempt to ensure to be prepared.
    On the RS wethead the front seat has room for a couple tools in the document holder area. Their's also room under the pillion seat.
    I don't use the area under the pillion seat because my Clearwater CanOpener unit is there.

    Does the GS seats have similar storage areas?

    Too bad the new bikes don't have the big storage area in the tail section like the K75 and K100 had.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  14. #14
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,421
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    I have been from each end of the states and Canada to Texas and have carried tools I have never used.
    Don't stop carrying those good luck charms
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  15. #15
    Registered User GTRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nibley, UT USA
    Posts
    1,202
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Never had a Craftsman or Kobalt tool fail. I do a great deal of maintenance on all our bikes.
    Alas, neither Craftsman tools nor their warranty are what they once used to be. Ive broken a wrench out of a Craftsman set and they would not/could not warranty it because in their system they could not order a single wrench from the set. I guess I should have endeavored to break the rest of the wrenches in the set...

    Anyway, Kobalt is the reasonably priced tool of choice for me now. Rumor has it that Kobalt is the same as Snap-Ons old Blue Line, but Ive not been able to verify that. Lowes seems good about replacing any problematic tools, tho I no longer buy sets of any kind without first verifying that the contents are available individually.

    Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S-PD 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Similar Threads

  1. Repair/service manuals/Dvd's/ & Tool kits
    By stanman in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-24-2016, 04:03 AM
  2. Broken Broken Wrist Wire to Gloves...
    By grafikfeat in forum Gear
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-18-2010, 11:17 PM
  3. r90 toolkit
    By rayma60927 in forum Airheads
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-24-2010, 06:45 PM
  4. What's in Your Toolkit?
    By swall in forum Just Ridin'
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 02-11-2010, 03:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •