• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Windscreen wondering 2016 R1200RT

rick601

I had this as a part of another thread but woke up thinking it was more of a hijack. So excuse me if you’ve already read this there!!

Windscreen wonderings 2016 RTW
I find my stock screen wanting in rain protection and noise abatement (not exactly the same as "buffeting" I think). First question- is rain protection the same as wind protection- that is to say are the two directly correlated- I've been searching for hours and find little or no mention of rain in windshield raves or criticisms. My second wondering has to do with cold and hot weather riding. I see that the aftermarket screens I'm looking at are wider at the waist than my OEM- does that mean that in the low position I'll not get the same airflow as my narrower stock? As a practical matter my long tours encounter cool and hot conditions (mountains-desert!) so changing screens isn't an option and I'm not a fan of two piece screens. So far I'm thinking Werks short - I'm 5'8" (5'9" depending on vanity level) and have ilium bar backs seat low...the reason for short vs regular (standard?) is the need for full breeze sometimes...OTOH I really dont mind looking through the screen (as on my Heritage Softail with the barn door screen) though the re-curve laminar lip has distortion potential (sorry Realshelby...but any curve HAS to introduce some distortion...and yes, I'm inviting dispute because I love the the LOOK of that Werks tint for my ebony RT!!) My other thought (obviously? is the Aeroflow

Anyway, I suppose windscreen threads are like helmet threads...too personal and subjective to use others experience to make our own decision.

I often get asked about rain protection. Raising a screen so high that you look through a lot of it will increase rain protection over running one in the more normal height. Yes, even at normal heights the screen can block the direct rain, but it simply isn't going to keep rain off your body and especially your visor completely. Some bikes have the screens directly attached to the fairing and those will do a better job of blocking rain, but you don't have the adjustment of the RT style electric screens. Since the RT screen isn't attached to the fairing, all the rain that hits the fairing area can and does work its way past the screen and some will be picked up in the airflow behind to land....on you and your visor.

Hot weather vs cold? In the Houston area it is commonly in the mid to upper 90's with very high humidity. I went back and tried the stock screen compared to aftermarket screens after some owners worried about air hitting them for cooling. The only real difference is the air hitting your arms. Which might feel good at first, but that same air often then hits your helmet after bouncing off those arms....leading to turbulence and noise. There is a LOT of air coming under the screen. That air is plenty to carry away sweat and that in the end is really what is cooling you. I even experimented with "Sport" screens. Just take off your stock screen and run without one, you WILL be happier than running one of those! Seriously, the turbulence is so bad that the smooth air of no screen is much quieter and easier to ride in. Everything is a compromise. Myself, and many others find that a smooth airflow which also leads to much less noise is far less tiring on a trip. While the stock screen works for some, or they want to think it does, there is a big difference in noise and turbulence available.

The curve at the top of my screens isn't there by chance. Much experimenting went into that. More isn't better in all cases! Yes, there is some distortion. But the build process we use makes this absolutely minimal. On the other hand, I will tell you that you should really never need or want to look through the screen. That is why I done the testing and development. Some screens you tend to raise to the point you can just barely see over them to get decent comfort. I want a screen as far below my line of sight as I can have! And that is what sets my design apart. I tried other aftermarket screens for the Wethead RT to compare. That is what led to making my own!

From what you posted, I would agree that the 22" size would work very well!

I got the Werks 2 years ago and haven't taken it off since. Besides stock I also have the Cee Baily and the Wunderlich. The Werks is best of all I've tried. I'm about 6 feet and have the medium height shield. I'd email the owner he'll suggest the size that should meet your needs best.

Jay

I often get asked about rain protection. Raising a screen so high that you look through a lot of it will increase rain protection over running one in the more normal height. Yes, even at normal heights the screen can block the direct rain, but it simply isn't going to keep rain off your body and especially your visor completely. Some bikes have the screens directly attached to the fairing and those will do a better job of blocking rain, but you don't have the adjustment of the RT style electric screens. Since the RT screen isn't attached to the fairing, all the rain that hits the fairing area can and does work its way past the screen and some will be picked up in the airflow behind to land....on you and your visor.

Hot weather vs cold? In the Houston area it is commonly in the mid to upper 90's with very high humidity. I went back and tried the stock screen compared to aftermarket screens after some owners worried about air hitting them for cooling. The only real difference is the air hitting your arms. Which might feel good at first, but that same air often then hits your helmet after bouncing off those arms....leading to turbulence and noise. There is a LOT of air coming under the screen. That air is plenty to carry away sweat and that in the end is really what is cooling you. I even experimented with "Sport" screens. Just take off your stock screen and run without one, you WILL be happier than running one of those! Seriously, the turbulence is so bad that the smooth air of no screen is much quieter and easier to ride in. Everything is a compromise. Myself, and many others find that a smooth airflow which also leads to much less noise is far less tiring on a trip. While the stock screen works for some, or they want to think it does, there is a big difference in noise and turbulence available.

The curve at the top of my screens isn't there by chance. Much experimenting went into that. More isn't better in all cases! Yes, there is some distortion. But the build process we use makes this absolutely minimal. On the other hand, I will tell you that you should really never need or want to look through the screen. That is why I done the testing and development. Some screens you tend to raise to the point you can just barely see over them to get decent comfort. I want a screen as far below my line of sight as I can have! And that is what sets my design apart. I tried other aftermarket screens for the Wethead RT to compare. That is what led to making my own!

From what you posted, I would agree that the 22" size would work very well!

Thanks ...I appreciate your thoughtful and thorough answer...I'll be ordering today sometime. still agonizing a bit on best height- even with your recommendation. though stock screen only needs about 35% raise to give me the best it can (which is so-so at best!)

The stock screen is 24" tall. But....it curves from the mounting point back toward the rider. So when it is all the way down it sits lower than most if not all aftermarket screens will in the same height range. Most of those will be more or less straight up from the mounting point. At least until you get to a curve at the top for those that have that. And that can very much increase the "effective" height.

So a WERKS Quiet Ride™ in 22" height may well act at least as tall as the stock 24".

You simply cannot compare different screens if they are NOT the exact same height. The taller screen will ALWAYS be quieter and probably smoother. So choosing a height that is correct is very important. You have screen on the bike for protection. If you want wind blast....buy an R instead of the RT! The only negative when ordering a screen that might be one size too tall is that you won't get much or any air blast onto your helmet when all the way down. I sometimes lower my screen to clear water drops from my visor, if it would not go low enough that wouldn't work. But at any other time, the taller screen will always work better. The closer you get the screen to the rider, the easier it is to keep turbulent air away!

I put a 26" Werks on my 2018 RT. I am 5'10" and it works well. Keep in mine you can just hit the button and lower the screen. I think a 24" would have been too low.

One thing various windshield manufactures recommend is to tape a ruler on your existing windshield, sticking up a few inches over the top. Go for a ride and adjust the windshield to various positions and see what you get for a dimension over existing shield. It will help you decide for height.

I do miss some of the extra air the factory sport shield provided on hot days. I wish someone would come up with adjustable wind deflectors for the sides of the windshield that one could adjust to draw air at the rider, or direct air away like Harley has on the lower sides of the fairing.

Last edited:
Aeroflow

I have a 2016 R1200RT, and the stock windscreen was the first thing that I changed on this bike. I also added their Aerowings, and I am not looking back!

YMMV depending upon what your own subjective needs may be. Good luck!

I went with the werks. A call reinforced the suggestion that a 22” would work for my build and height It will be here soon and I only have to wait about three or four months to try it out!! Gotta love upstate NY seasons. Oh well. It’s beautiful up here and the short season makes riding all the more precious. Thanks all! It’s not a sexy add on but it’ll make a huge difference. Oh kinda sexy, I got the light tint to go with my ebony black RTW!

Last edited:
I'm 5'6" and went with the Werks 22" shield ... couldn't be happier with it three out of four seasons. Almost never even have to raise it to keep the wind off of me unless I've got someone riding behind me in which case I'll raise it up a bit to keep the wind off of them too. Completely quiet and calm behind that screen. For the warmest parts of the Summer, I took the stock screen and cut it down to make a a super-sport shield. I can still raise it up and get the wind, rain and noise off of me but when it's hot, it's nice to have a breeze on at least your upper body.

Back