• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Broken Tool from BMW Service Toolkit

ericblume

Greetings All,
Happy new year!
Yesterday in preparing for a trip south for warmer weather I had to remove the rear tire to facilitate brake pad replacement, I broke the tool that is supplied in the kit to remove the wheel lugs. And yes I am an ex-Aerospace Engineer and know the correct rotation of the lug to remove it.:bluduh
Do any of you know if I can purchase a individual piece in the service kit? I do not desire to carry my regular tools due to weight and size. Maybe I can get a guy to weld it back together and re-inforce the weak end.
:scratch

IMG_9286-L.jpg

Might want to explain to your dealer what happened. BMW could have a bad run from their supplier.
OM

Is that tool from a optional tool kit?

I carry a short breaker bar and bits under the seat.
Tools (1).JPG

My wife carries these under her seat but the one that fits the wheel lugs does not feel stout enough to get enough torque.
Tools (2).JPG

I found the Supplemental Tool Kit.

You can purchase the bit adapter and swivel adapter separate but not the handle.
The complete kit costs $226.

B0007804.png

As a long time gear head, it baffles me as to why one would want to carry this Chinese-made junk on their bikes as an emergency kit. Just like the OP showed, these junk tool do not hold up under any sort of use. There's entirely too many good options for riders to use. Even if one doesn't have access to a tool truck, 99% of major tool brands are just a click away.

If you don't want to spend the coin for Snap-On, there's always Cornwell, Mac or Matco. Personally, I opt for Snap-On as I've been using & putting their tool agents kids thru college for decades now. :laugh

Buy once, cry once. But when you're 100 miles in the middle of BFE, you don't need nor want tool failure.

Mfgrs, like the gubbermint, always go with the lowest bidder on stuff like this. We ride nice bikes, shouldn't we use nice tools as well?

My .o2

As a long time gear head, it baffles me as to why one would want to carry this Chinese-made junk on their bikes as an emergency kit.

I agree with you but need to be able to have the tools on the bike at all times, even in the event I am sans panniers. I have the Touratech toolbox attached to the left side of my bike holding plug kit, air compressor, tire gauge & tool kit. It is with me at all times when riding. If I carried anything more robust it would not fit. That is the balancing act one must attempt to ensure to be prepared.

Tool kit?

I have been evaluating my tool kit. I have been from each end of the states and Canada to Texas and have carried tools I have never used. I have not decided for sure, but starting this spring I am about 99% sure my tool kit is going to be a cell phone, credit card and towing insurance. The only time I have had a break down it was way beyond a road side repair.

I agree with you but need to be able to have the tools on the bike at all times, even in the event I am sans panniers. I have the Touratech toolbox attached to the left side of my bike holding plug kit, air compressor, tire gauge & tool kit. It is with me at all times when riding. If I carried anything more robust it would not fit. That is the balancing act one must attempt to ensure to be prepared.

On the RS wethead the front seat has room for a couple tools in the document holder area. Their's also room under the pillion seat.
I don't use the area under the pillion seat because my Clearwater CanOpener unit is there.

Does the GS seats have similar storage areas?

Too bad the new bikes don't have the big storage area in the tail section like the K75 and K100 had.

Never had a Craftsman or Kobalt tool fail. I do a great deal of maintenance on all our bikes.

Alas, neither Craftsman tools nor their warranty are what they once used to be. I’ve broken a wrench out of a Craftsman set and they would not/could not warranty it because in their system they could not order a single wrench from the set. I guess I should have endeavored to break the rest of the wrenches in the set...

Anyway, Kobalt is the reasonably priced tool of choice for me now. Rumor has it that Kobalt is the same as Snap-On’s old Blue Line, but I’ve not been able to verify that. Lowe’s seems good about replacing any problematic tools, tho I no longer buy sets of any kind without first verifying that the contents are available individually.

Best,
DG

Since the handle acts like a reverse why not use a 12 point socket that will fit over the broken part of the handle, It could be either driven on or welded on so that the drive end either 3/8 or 1/2 whichever was the size would face outward and could accept your swivel piece. It would end up a lot stronger than original but just fatter around the end.

Since the handle acts like a reverse why not use a 12 point socket that will fit over the broken part of the handle, It could be either driven on or welded on so that the drive end either 3/8 or 1/2 whichever was the size would face outward and could accept your swivel piece. It would end up a lot stronger than original but just fatter around the end.

Maybe a female to female adapter would work??

Z1pMGxocpEx_.JPG

I have been evaluating my tool kit. I have been from each end of the states and Canada to Texas and have carried tools I have never used. I have not decided for sure said:
Now you're just tempting fate... :brad

An added bonus of having a tool kit is for the other people on the road that may also have a break down.

Back