Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cyclops LED Replacement Kit

Thumbs up

I purchased the kit from Cyclops and installed it about a week ago. Most of the time (~8 hours total) is spent removing and replacing the light cluster from the fairing.

The actual mounting of the lights was a breeze once you have the cluster out of the fairing. If your kit comes with the ballast resistor harness remember it goes in the right side High beam (drivers viewpoint).

Ski

I know this is 9 months since the first post in this thread, but if anybody is still interested in this setup, I installed this kit in my '16 RT and wrote up an installation review with lots of pictures on another BMW forum. I won't advertise the other forum, but if you click the link below to the Cyclops website for this kit, I wrote a simple (and positive) review of the kit and with the permission of Cyclops (Darryl) I embedded the link to the other forum thread.

https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.c...kit_p_194.html

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    You can mention the other forum. “A rising tide lifts all ships”.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman48 View Post
    I know this is 9 months since the first post in this thread, but if anybody is still interested in this setup, I installed this kit in my '16 RT and wrote up an installation review with lots of pictures on another BMW forum. I won't advertise the other forum, but if you click the link below to the Cyclops website for this kit, I wrote a simple (and positive) review of the kit and with the permission of Cyclops (Darryl) I embedded the link to the other forum thread.

https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.c...kit_p_194.html
    The guide is fantastic. I printed every page, placed the illustrations in order and then just paged through to complete the job.

Cough, cough, BMWLT, cough...

Ski

I have a 2016 R1200RT and have purchased a Cyclops LED Headlight Kit, which I have been working on today. It seems that I do not have Page 2 of the fitting instructions, and my installation has stalled, pending further information. I have sent a message to Cyclops requesting both pages of the install guide. The headlight unit has been removed from the bike, which was a complex task, but with patience, went OK.

I have carefully read the instructions given by Rainman48 on this site https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-seri...-wetheads.html I can readily fit the globes onto the housings, but he makes no mention of where the various electrtical connections fit, I am struggling with the connections on the H1 High Beams. The new LED Low Beam has gone in OK.

Existing High Beam
    Each of the two high beams has a single black lead female spade connector which goes onto the back of the existing globe, and a single black wire female spade connector which connects onto the back of the reflector.

2 x New LED H1 Globes
    Each of these has a terminal block with two male spade connections, one red and one black. It appears that of of these if for the lead from the back of the reflector/housing, but I can't find anything to confirm this.

Large CANBUS Resistor
    This has a Orange Terminal Block with two female spade connections, one red wire and one black wire.
    The other end is a black terminal block with one red and one black spade connection.

Can anyone who has fitted one of these kits please advise me how the High Beam H1 LED's connect to the bike. I've attached some photos that show what I am up against, and note that the headlight unit is upside down.
    Cyclops Fit - Existing connections.jpg
    Cyclops Fit 1.jpg
    Cyclops Fit Left.jpg
    Cyclops Fit Right.jpg
    Last edited by stinkypete; 11-26-2019 at 10:17 AM.

Instructions

Hi Stinkypete,

The page 1 instructions I received from Cyclops were weird, but after I read them a few times they eventually made sense, but careful reading is required. They pointed out the following:

1) The 1st 4 paragraphs point out the various model year headlamp differences. The 4th paragraph relates to the 2016-2018 models with halo lights and clearly state the Cyclops H1 lamps and ballast are NOT polarity sensitive and there is no "dual connector".

My comments follow: Unlike the low beam H7 bulb which has a "dual connector", and as your pictures show, the two high beam and halo combo models have a split (2) wire config from the ballast with shielded male connectors, and as Cyclops says, either the red or white wire from the ballast can go on either the "ground" (earth) connector on the metal reflector piece, or the "positive" (power) terminal on the LED ballast. I choose to not confuse myself and chose to connect the red to the lamp ballast and the black to the ground terminal.

2) The resistor for the right side H1 high beam takes a bit of visual brain warping, so do the left one first, then connect the resistor in-line with the ballast and then swap the power and ground wires into the other end.

Like the H7 lamp, all the pieces of wire, resistor, and ballast are fit into the housing and then the lamp is twisted on.

Good luck and ask again if you continue to have problems.

PS: Page 2 was the confusing one with lamps and adapters that didn't match at all.

Thanks Rainman48 for the extra info. I have recieved some further instructions from Cyclops and combined with your advice, I now have sufficient info the wire in the new lights before I reassemble the bike. The Cyclops instructions are not very clear on the matter of connections, and some better model specific instructions for the wiring connections would be helpful for electrical wombles like myself.

Now to get on with the reassembly and get some long rides in before it get too hot down here.

...or you could've installed one of these and not needed any control drivers or resistors and only paid $40.

'13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Just double checking that I have got it right before I get on with bike reassembly. The right side is connected and shown in the accompanying photo. The connection that is circled with blue is the "earth" from the reflector base plate.
    This electrical stuff is just beyond my comfort zone.
    Cyclops Right Connections 2.jpg

I tried a Cyclops on mine and it worked fine without a resistor. Is there difference between Camhead <-> Wethead CanBus current sensing? Seems to me it should work without them.

PS - Since the CanBus system limits current automatically (a.k.a. digital "fuses" that reset once the short is gone) I would suggest just plugging the housing back into the main harness connector, start it, and see if it lights up. There no risk of arcing or other issues. It'll either work or not.

PPS - that's a lot of clap-trap to stuff into the housing. Keep in mind that the resistor might get hot (you can check that via the test I recommended above) so be a little careful about where you place it in there.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkypete View Post
    Just double checking that I have got it right before I get on with bike reassembly. The right side is connected and shown in the accompanying photo. The connection that is circled with blue is the "earth" from the reflector base plate.
    This electrical stuff is just beyond my comfort zone.
    Yep, that's correct. Carefully stuff all that in there, then put it on the front end, plug the main connector back up as pappy said and test it before putting any other body parts on. I would start with the resistor because it is the largest piece and the twisted wires on it make it more difficult to place it deep and away from the fan. Ignore his comments about his cheap automotive lamp choice, you've already made your choice and this is strictly a thread about how to install that choice. If you were asking which brand lights to install that would be more appropriate, but he ignores that and continues to add his choice to all headlight threads in all forums no matter what. And yes pappy, according to Cyclops there was an ecu change where the canbus sensitivity was tweaked so they supply difference configs for different models and years.

Wishing you good luck with the reinstall and happy riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman48 View Post
    Yep, that's correct. Carefully stuff all that in there, then put it on the front end, plug the main connector back up as pappy said and test it before putting any other body parts on. I would start with the resistor because it is the largest piece and the twisted wires on it make it more difficult to place it deep and away from the fan. Ignore his comments about his cheap automotive lamp choice, you've already made your choice and this is strictly a thread about how to install that choice. If you were asking which brand lights to install that would be more appropriate, but he ignores that and continues to add his choice to all headlight threads in all forums no matter what. And yes pappy, according to Cyclops there was an ecu change where the canbus sensitivity was tweaked so they supply difference configs for different models and years.

Wishing you good luck with the reinstall and happy riding.
    Fantastic. I can now make a start on reassembly. The Haynes manual was very difficult to follow, so I defered my disassembly and I finished up getting the BMW workshop manual on DVD. It was very easy to follow, with specific and detailed instructions and images, which made the job a simple but long winded step by step process.

Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
    ...or you could've installed one of these and not needed any control drivers or resistors and only paid $40.
    Thanks for the suggestion pappy35. I did consider other LED globes, but chose the Cyclops based upon the pattern they throw from the RT reflectors. My previous ride was a Honda ST1300 and I went through about four different LED globes until I found a set that worked well with the ST reflector, so I went straight to the Cyclops kit for which I had seen images of the beam pattern on a Beemer the same as mine.

Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
    I tried a Cyclops on mine and it worked fine without a resistor. Is there difference between Camhead <-> Wethead CanBus current sensing? Seems to me it should work without them.
    There have been posts in various threads about LED conversions that Some/Most/All (not sure which) 2016 and later RTs require this resistor with the Cyclops kit or there are codes thrown and possible dashboard lights triggered.
    2016 R1200RT
    2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
    2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
    1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)

While it might seem like I'm down about them, I'm truly not. The folks at Cyclops are a class act and I'm sure that if they sold them to you they are needed. I was just curious about it.