Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Dam Rat...Nav replacment

  1. #1

    Dam Rat...Nav replacment

    924CBB2C-6D2D-41D0-9607-4FDF14C4F238.jpegWell guess a Rat had a nice rubber snack at my expense.

    Anyone have suggestions for a replacement that will fit my 05 bmw r1200rt? Not certain I want to buy a new nav VI just yet and missed their 20% off sale recently as well. Just found out about this issue today when at the bike shop getting service. My own fault it seems, happens when you leave a bike in a garage a long time plus leave a dryer vent hose open to the outside when moving a dryer around. Woke up early today then tossed a Bmw tank bag on the tank that hide most of the nav lol.

    Uncertain anyone has a dead unit they could send me and I then try to change out the outer shell casing. It is so old uncertain it would be worth the effort. I do though like having a bmw one attached to the bike connector plate plus powered by the bike.

    2D4BE400-95B7-4561-8320-4DF07CB7C651.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    5,510
    Quote Originally Posted by motor4 View Post
    924CBB2C-6D2D-41D0-9607-4FDF14C4F238.jpegWell guess a Rat had a nice rubber snack at my expense.

    Anyone have suggestions for a replacement that will fit my 05 bmw r1200rt? Not certain I want to buy a new nav VI just yet and missed their 20% off sale recently as well. Just found out about this issue today when at the bike shop getting service. My own fault it seems, happens when you leave a bike in a garage a long time plus leave a dryer vent hose open to the outside when moving a dryer around. Woke up early today then tossed a Bmw tank bag on the tank that hide most of the nav lol.

    Uncertain anyone has a dead unit they could send me and I then try to change out the outer shell casing. It is so old uncertain it would be worth the effort. I do though like having a bmw one attached to the bike connector plate plus powered by the bike.

    2D4BE400-95B7-4561-8320-4DF07CB7C651.jpeg
    If the wiring is undamaged........epoxy a plug in place.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

  3. #3
    Registered User LFarling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    409
    You must of had peanut butter on your finger when you turned the GPS on or off. It sure did take that button off that thing whatever it smelt on the button.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    If the wiring is undamaged........epoxy a plug in place.
    That can work. Seems that was an ‘off’ button as one can take a pin and press a button toggle within to turn it off. Will also check the ads for used navs.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wills Point, TX
    Posts
    498
    Years ago I had a Zumo 550 on/off button fall off, Garmin was great they replaced at no charge. I'd call them to see what they can do for you.

  6. #6
    Sometimes you cannot win it seems. Less then 24 hours after my service the fuel strip dies. Beyond the 2 year time period when last replaced after being replaced with bmw one time 10 year grace period. Kiss another $400 plus good bye.

    Me thinks I should have sold the back last year...

  7. #7
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    14,340
    Quote Originally Posted by motor4 View Post
    Sometimes you cannot win it seems. Less then 24 hours after my service the fuel strip dies. Beyond the 2 year time period when last replaced after being replaced with bmw one time 10 year grace period. Kiss another $400 plus good bye.

    Me thinks I should have sold the back last year...
    Don’t worry about it.......Use your trip odometer........you will be fine.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  8. #8
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,557
    This place has a good reputation and cheap rates for repairs.

    https://www.palmdr.com/cart/garmin-z...ice-p-368.html
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  9. #9
    Registered User alegerlotz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by motor4 View Post
    Sometimes you cannot win it seems. Less then 24 hours after my service the fuel strip dies. Beyond the 2 year time period when last replaced after being replaced with bmw one time 10 year grace period. Kiss another $400 plus good bye.

    Me thinks I should have sold the back last year...
    Search the Hexhead/Camhead forum for the process to zap it with a lighter. That has worked for lots of people and will cost you more like $10. Its worth a shot.
    2016 R1200RT
    2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
    2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
    1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wills Point, TX
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    This place has a good reputation and cheap rates for repairs.

    https://www.palmdr.com/cart/garmin-z...ice-p-368.html
    I agree with Lee. I had my wife's Garmin Drive (broken screen) repaired and a couple of buds had different Zumo's repaired.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    EastDakota
    Posts
    350
    I also used the palmdr repair in Mankato, Mn. to repair a Garmin. Great service and quick turnaround.

  12. #12
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,557
    I've also seen posts where palmdr will install new maps cheaper than the owner of the zumo 550 can while it's in for repairs.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Similar Threads

  1. '95 K1100LT Tire Replacment
    By jayskerdoo in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-11-2018, 01:26 PM
  2. R1200rt brake pad replacment
    By bmw4life in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-12-2011, 02:04 PM
  3. Battery Replacment 1200 GSA
    By heloguy1976 in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-18-2010, 05:19 PM
  4. PIAA Replacment Parts
    By john832 in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 08:53 PM
  5. Shock Replacment 92' R100RS
    By katoom in forum Airheads
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-03-2004, 01:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •