Thread: Cyclops LED Replacement Kit

Cyclops LED Replacement Kit

Has anyone tried the Cyclops LED replacement kit for the R1200RT? It seems to come in three models, and seems to include all the parts needed. The descriptive data indicates that all the bulbs are replaced and every part of the kit fits under the BMW caps. Here's a screen-shot of the information from the Cyclops website:

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 12.49.34 PM.png

Here's more information, again from a screen-shot:

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 12.56.46 PM.png
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

There are some previous threads shown in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen. You can start there until others weigh in...
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Thanks Kurt. I saw those but was hoping someone had used the total kit approach on a 2015.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

I don't understand why the RT kit is for 2013-2015, 2015-2018? I'm not aware of any headlight changes from 2014 forward.

Jay

I bought the kit for my 16 RT. It has everything you need. I chose Cyclops because I had a set of their lights in my 09 RT and I loved them. The company is very good to deal with if you have questions or problems. They have always taken very good care of me.
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it.

Booger Man
    Quote Originally Posted by poco183 View Post
    I bought the kit for my 16 RT. It has everything you need. I chose Cyclops because I had a set of their lights in my 09 RT and I loved them. The company is very good to deal with if you have questions or problems. They have always taken very good care of me.
    How was the install on the kit ? Could you do it without a bunch disassembly ?

Quote Originally Posted by 178592 View Post
    How was the install on the kit ? Could you do it without a bunch disassembly ?
    Well, it depends on how you try to install them. Cyclops suggests you take out the headlight assembly, but they also say it is possible to install the lights without removing the headlight.

If you choose not to remove the headlight, the process requires patience and relatively small hands. It's not impossible, but you will have to work slow. The low beam light is accessible from sitting in front of your bike and reaching up behind the headlight. Removing the old headlight is a snap. Before installing the new headlight, make sure you read an understand the instructions. There is a ring on the new bulb which needs to be placed inside the assembly and secured with the wire before you install the new bulb. Before you try to place the ring in, put a piece of duct take in the gap between the headlight assembly and the plastic housing. This will prevent you from dropping the ring into the headlight assemble like I did and it is a PITA to fish out.

The high beam lights are pretty straight forward. You only have to remove the speaker covers and speakers. Once again, small hands and patience are a key.

If you decided to remove the headlight, it's not too bad. There are a few more pieces to take apart, but it's not a long process.

I love Cyclops Lights and their customer support. The lights are worth the $200.

I've tried to attach a copy of the instructions but I continually get an error message. If you would like a copy, send me a message,
    Last edited by poco183; 01-14-2019 at 11:48 AM.
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it.

Booger Man
    Thanks for the info. Iíll let you know.

I have a 2015 RT and I purchased the kit (Hi and Low beams) and I am impressed with the performance. I had previously purchased a single main headlight from Cyclops in 2015 and found the single LED superior to the standard incandescent bulb. The earlier version put out much more light than a standard bulb and the color of the light seemed to provide better contrast to anything on the road and shoulder. The downside of the earlier version was that the beam cutoff was not as sharp as the standard bulb and when I flipped on the brights, there was a icon that popped up that meant that the canbus thought that one of the bulbs was burnt out. Neither the beam pattern nor the canbus error message were big issues.

When Cyclops came out with a newer version of the H7 bulb and the position of the LED better replicated the position of the filiment in a standard H7, I decided to talk with Cyclops. They told me that with the new version of LED, the cutoff pattern would be very similar to that of the std bulb. Also, the difference in the kits is based on whether or not there is a load resistor included. Evidently, there was a change in either the lighting circuit or the canbus sensitivity sometime during the 2015 production cycle. Prior to 2015, no load resistor is needed. After 2015, a load resistor is required when installing the main H7 replacement - otherwise you will get a canbus error message when you use the Hi beam.

I purchased the kit and in an afternoon, pulled out the headlight assembly changed out all of the bulbs and reassembled everything. This new version has an imroved beam pattern, the main beam has a little more light, and now the Hi beam is even brighter and no error message. I think it's a great product.