Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: <> Motorcycles OK

Here in California they are allowing hybrid or 'clean air' cars into the HOV lane. They have to buy stickers from the DMV for $8. I don't like it. Those cars can afford to sit in traffic and they have zero emmisions in traffic.

Google was (and I don't know if they still are) giving $5000 to employees who bought clean air cars. I see a lot of Priuses exiting off of Shoreline on their way to Google's offices. The Prius population in this area are most likely the highest in the country.
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com GS911 WIFI BMW Motorcycle Diagnostic Tool

Quote Originally Posted by Burnszilla
    Here in California they are allowing hybrid or 'clean air' cars into the HOV lane. They have to buy stickers from the DMV for $8. I don't like it. Those cars can afford to sit in traffic and they have zero emmisions in traffic.

Google was (and I don't know if they still are) giving $5000 to employees who bought clean air cars. I see a lot of Priuses exiting off of Shoreline on their way to Google's offices. The Prius population in this area are most likely the highest in the country.
    Most likely. We've got a Prius. Got the stickers to go with it, too.

But don't worry, Burnszilla -- if I see your Hi Viz lime yellow self coming up behind me on CA-85, I'll move out of the way for you. ;-)

California has been giving the stickers out for the last 4 months. They've given out almost 50,000 of them, and there's a hard limit of 75,000, which they expect to reach before summer. And the stickers are only good until 2008, unless the "experiment" is extended. Which I hope it is, those stickers look to be a royal pain to remove.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Retired and proud of it MOTORMAN's Avatar
    I used to ride to work and I rode while AT work. It's neat to get paid to ride a motorcycle and have fun with it.

Oh and if you lane split in AZ. you'll have a nice piece of paper to go with you later on.

RandallIsland
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorman
    I used to ride to work and I rode while AT work. It's neat to get paid to ride a motorcycle and have fun with it.
    Indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorman
    Oh and if you lane split in AZ. you'll have a nice piece of paper to go with you later on.
    Indeed, on those roads in the cities maybe. But thank God for the great AZ 'countryside' with the long straights, full moon and high speed occasional curly twisties! I love AZ. But thanks for the heads up, because I apparently got away with some t'in' a couple few times.

As for the emissions ... well, I did a fuel efficiency calculation on my K100 over a week with normal riding, in town and highway, years ago in Idaho. I averaged 40 MPG. So when I look at what my Mercury (18) and the GMC (9) do, on those days when I cannot ride, I believe that the motorcycle still wins the overall formula for being the best factor of the negative environmental impact of my commute to school. Because the emissions, while important, are not the sole determination of treehugdom utopia. The other factors, in my opinion more important ones, are not only the significant savings in aggregate fuel expended, but the subtracted significant presence of a 4 wheeler further contributing to the congestion, resulting in the fellow commuter wasting more time idling. In addition, there is a cost/benefit to my bank account directly. Which as a slightly not stupid person, allows me the ability to save up for the third Prius in the family. And that's fine, for US.
    But going even further, there is a limit to what I donate my personal energy towards. If we act responsibly as world citizens, we realize that the leading causes of the environmental degradation of the world are best addressed by teaching good energy practices to all we can. So my question to y'all is this: what have you done to educate someone else today?
    Besides ourselves here on the forum.

Think Global!

So when do the new, more accurate (and less optimistic) MPG test fgiures for hybrids go into effect? I wonder if the boys and girls in Sacramento took that issue into consideration when they cooked up those stickers?

Motoman, I've given a lot of thought to getting paid to ride, and no offense, but being a moto-cop is probably the bottom of my list of potential rider-jobs.
    Despite the nonexistent pay and dismal prospects for breaking into it, I think being a moto-mag journalist would be the most fun.
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RandallIsland
    ... The other factors, in my opinion more important ones, are not only the significant savings in aggregate fuel expended, but the subtracted significant presence of a 4 wheeler further contributing to the congestion, resulting in the fellow commuter wasting more time idling.
    This is a really good good point. However, if you do the math, you'd need zillions (tech term) of motorcyclist commuters before there would be an impact on freeways congested with 4-wheelers.

However.... this in no way means that we shouldn't try.

Someone in this discussion mentioned a desire for motorcycles to be perceived as serious transportation alternatives instead of recreational vehicles. To me, this *should* be a prime mission of the AMA.

A few years ago, 1991, there was a piece of legistation emitted from Washington called ISTEA... Intermodial Surface Transportation Efficiency Act, or Iced Tea in beltway speak.

Wouldn't you know that motorcycles weren't even mentioned in this plan??? Now, Governmental Affairs are *supposed* to be one of the reasons I pay $40 a year to be an AMA member, but where were they on this one?

The ISTEA has been superceded by SAFETEA, the Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act signed into law by President Bush in 2005.

If you look at the full text of the law, which I don't have time to do right now, I wonder if motorcycles received any more attention this time round. ( quickie google shows the funding of a research program into motorcycle crashes... I do remember reading something about this, now).

Does anyone have information?

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by RandallIsland
    So my question to y'all is this: what have you done to educate someone else today?
    Ok, here's my contribution. It's been there every day for the last 4+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by The Veg
    So when do the new, more accurate (and less optimistic) MPG test fgiures for hybrids go into effect? I wonder if the boys and girls in Sacramento took that issue into consideration when they cooked up those stickers?
    The stickers are based on the official EPA numbers. No real choice there, it was Fed legislation that allowed the "experiment" in the first place. But apparently the Prius (at least) will still qualify. Anyway, we get 45mpg pretty routinely, which is better than my R1150RS gets. OTOH, the RS is a lot more fun to drive.

Ride to The Job

Here in Florida motorcycles can and do use the HVO lane, being a contract worker I use the bike to go to the asignment when I can, meaning if I don't need all my equipment only a fabric brief case I take the R1200C, other wise I am stuck with my suburban and all the traffic delays.

Gene T

dlearl476
    Quote Originally Posted by robdogg
    I think the ride to work thing should be expanded; one day a year just doesn't seem to be too influential
    I agree. I think RTW day should be EVERY WEDNESDAY, and the AMA should buy some PSA's advertising the fact.
    I recently bought a Rallye II jacket which has a large number pocket that snaps to the back. I'm thinking of printing up a big "If you commuted by motorcycle, you'd be home now" and putting it in there.

Quote Originally Posted by dlearl476
    I agree. I think RTW day should be EVERY WEDNESDAY, and the AMA should buy some PSA's advertising the fact.
    I recently bought a Rallye II jacket which has a large number pocket that snaps to the back. I'm thinking of printing up a big "If you commuted by motorcycle, you'd be home now" and putting it in there.

I placed a shooting target in mine for a while for a laugh...I only took it out when I was due to ride downtown Detroit...thought it was too tempting for some of the creatures...lol

I ride to work everyday, little chilly in Arizona right now, 40 to 50 in the morning ..a little dig for the cold climate folks.
    I do a 40 mile commute one way. Love it, I keep moving futher away from work so I can ride!
    Be safe...Roger

RandallIsland

We need a gazillion people trying. I vote, even though ...

Quote Originally Posted by Visian
    This is a really good good point. However, if you do the math, you'd need zillions (tech term) of motorcyclist commuters before there would be an impact on freeways congested with 4-wheelers.

However.... this in no way means that we shouldn't try.

A few years ago, 1991, there was a piece of legistation emitted from Washington called ISTEA... Wouldn't you know that motorcycles weren't even mentioned in this plan??? Now, Governmental Affairs are *supposed* to be one of the reasons I pay $40 a year to be an AMA member, but where were they on this one?
    Does anyone have information?

Ian
    Gov'ts End
    page 99
    Last edited by RandallIsland; 03-01-2006 at 01:39 PM.