• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Buying advice GS requested

anotherbmw

Good day everyone,

I am about to pull the trigger on a GS LC, there are two models I am considering:

1) 2016 GS premium, 22,000 mls, over 12 months of factory warranty left, no farkles except crashbars
2) 2014 GS premium, 13,000 mls, BMW NAV 5, after market screen, bash plate, radiator guards, rack with aluminum cases (don't remember what brand)

The 1) bike is about $1,500 more than 2)

What would you do? Thanks!

Suggest you buy the one with warranty as you can buy an extended warranty for about $1500 as long as the bike is still under factory warranty. I recommend extending the warranty as most dealers are charging $125 or more per hour for service work. Look for used adventure bags online...they are always coming available.

Good point on the warranty. Usually I don't get extended warranty but good to have the option.

Most likely I will have to spend another $1500 or more to farkel the 2016 to the level of the 2014, but I can do that at my own pace.

Thanks!

If the motorcycle has been regularly serviced; personally, I wouldn't worry about the warranty.

YMMV

Joe

I recon I'd buy the second one with all the fruit and save some dollars, as you'd probably finish up with all the other stuff anyway. I love the Nav V on my RT, which after all, is a Garmin.

I also love the Nav V. For me, it works extremely well and I love how it integrates with the bike and the wonder wheel. I would not want to pay full retail price for it, which is why I would get Bike #2. I got a fully farkled 2014 premium and have no regrets.

I've got a 2015 wethead GS. Someone can help me out here, but I think the 2016's got the smoother-shifting transmission. I'm okay with the clunky 2015 version, but if given a choice, I'd go with the smoother one, which I believe is the 2016. The 2015's got a heavier flywheel over the 2014's.

I've got a 2015 wethead GS. Someone can help me out here, but I think the 2016's got the smoother-shifting transmission. I'm okay with the clunky 2015 version, but if given a choice, I'd go with the smoother one, which I believe is the 2016. The 2015's got a heavier flywheel over the 2014's.

I think the change happen in the middle of 2017, I'm sure Lee will confirm.

Jay

Warranty!

2014 1200 GS with 65K miles now. I bought an extended warranty before original warranty ran out. Under the extended warranty I had the following items replaced, starter motor replaced $600, LED headlight $2000, Stator $3000! If you plan on riding many miles, I'd get extended warranty!

Back