• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2015 GS tire change tool recommendations

javadave

I recently traded my '09 RT for a 2015 GS and found Anakee Wild's on sale even though the original Anakee 3's only have 3500 miles on them. I've changed pickup and bicycle tires, but this will be my first time to change motorcycle tires and will need to buy some new tools (a guy needs an excuse for new tools, right?). I figure they will pay for themselves after two or three sets of tires.

I know I will need a balancer with an adapter for the rear wheel. Any suggestions what to look for and what to avoid?

What size Hex socket do I need for the front axle? I've seen posts showing 22mm for older models, but have not found a post showing the correct size for the 2015 GS. I tried the reverse spark plug socket trick I saw on some posts, but none of the ones I have fit, so I might as well buy the right size Hex socket.

I'd originally thought to use the kickstand foot to break the bead as I saw on some posts, but am thinking it might be better to have a tire changer that I can keep using. I need to keep the cost down, but I also want something easy to fold up and store. Any suggestions?

Tips and tricks from your experience are also appreciated!

I have an inexpensive, yet very effective, Harbor Freight tire changer... but for the GS tubeless wire wheels I had to make some adapters. I don't have the measurement info for those handy, but if you're going to change your tires yourself a lot I recommend the NoMar changer. Its clamps fit the GS thick rim edges and because they are a composite plastic, the are less likely to scratch your wheels than any metal clamps. I don't know which model of NoMar to recommend, call them and ask... they will steer you straight.

Both of these gadgets will break the bead on your tire... but if you're going to do it by hand, try these Motion Pro Tire Levers. They hook together to form a wedge and break the bead (it is *not* easy) and then you can use them to remove the tire from the rim.

Breaking the bead with your sidestand is difficult and dangerous (since your rear wheel will be off the bike) and trust me... the machine is *much* easier.

312DMs5USfL.jpg

I also like Motion Pro tire spoons. You can buy one with the right size socket for your axle (which I don't know off-hand!... I have an 1150 GS)... just measure it with a metric ruler. You should have a wrench in your tool kit... but these days with the latest BMWs, you never know!

X001.jpg

Remove the stem with a Motion Pro Stem Tool

lg_08-0183.jpg

Be sure to use tire lube, NoMar or RuGlyde are both excellent products.

Spring for the tire machine.... damhikt! :nod

Ian

ps => and be sure to join the GS Giants!

Good info from Ian. I’ve been using a NoMar changer for eight years and it works well. Two things that make the job easier are lubrication and heat. A dry cool tire can be a bear to get on or off. If your bike has the BMW tire pressure monitoring system, then extra caution must be taken to not damage the sensor; it is attached to the valve stem inside the tire. Check You Tube, there are many videos showing how to change a tire with tire irons, or a Harbor Freight changer or a NoMar.

Unlike Montana, here in Texas we generally have enough warm sunny days that a wheel/tire out in the sun soon gets warm enough. Usually. :)

I changed four tires on our bikes in the past few weeks here in tropical Montana. Leaving the tires outside resulted the formation of ice crystals. My tire changer is in the unheated part of the shop, so I get the tires nice and hot with the warmers in the heated area, then hurry out and do my work with alacrity.

In 45 minutes to an hour these things will get a tire so hot that I cannot handle it without gloves. A friend measured tire temperatures after heating in the sun and using warmers. The warmers got the tires about 40 degrees warmer than the sun.

After 10 years of changing my tires with a Harbor Freight changer and asking the wife to help, look what she bought me. I think she was sending a message.

Attachments

• W_M807X_Tire_Changer__80967.1425496298.jpg
    W_M807X_Tire_Changer__80967.1425496298.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 95
Google Mark Parns, he has all the tools required to remove front wheel and balance both front and rear wheels

Jim

Google Mark Parns, he has all the tools required to remove front wheel and balance both front and rear wheels

Jim

gah... forgot that. These work well with a simple pair of jackstands.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 11.09.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 11.09.12 AM.png
    234.9 KB · Views: 89
I have long said that if you seem to be the guy that never gets invited to parties, has no friends and no one ever calls, then get a tire changer. Suddenly you will have friends you never met, strangers will appear at your door with tire in hand and your phone will not stop ringing. I imagine that if you have a pneumatic tire changer you will make the Hollywood “A” list.

I have long said that if you seem to be the guy that never gets invited to parties, has no friends and no one ever calls, then get a tire changer. Suddenly you will have friends you never met, strangers will appear at your door with tire in hand and your phone will not stop ringing. I imagine that if you have a pneumatic tire changer you will make the Hollywood “A” list.

It has worked for me!

Another vote for the Harbor Freight Changer, with their Motorcycle Adapter, equipped with "Mojo Blocks" use plenty of lube, I find that the stuff NAPA sells works well, and the Mojo Lever.

The "Mojo Blocks" are Nylon Blocks that attach to the Harbor Freight Motorcycle Wheel Clamp and both securely grasp and protect your rim.

You will be able to use the center pivot post provided with the HF Changer for your rear wheel but it will not work on the front. The threads the post screws into are 3/4" x 10, I pought a length of Cold Rolled 3/4" Rod and had a local machine shop thread it for me. I haven't changed a front tire on a GS yet so I don't know if it will pass through the front wheel bearings or not. I have a rod I had turned down to fit my KLR's front wheel which I'm sure will work.

Other neccessary pieces ar a NoMar "Yellow Thing" to hold the tire while using the Mojo Lever, a couple of plastic rim protectors for

The Mark Parnes Balancer and Hub adapter are excellent as wellwhen a recalcitrant tire requires the application of brute force with a tire iron to get that last little bit over the rim.

As to AKBeemer's "Friends" they all come to see his wife, He married way up. JSNS

Back