• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2007 R1200RT Final Drive Swap

gregu

Greetings. I have a 2007 R1200RT early model and the final drive has only one drain point at the 9 o'clock position. The later models and onward onward have a bottom 6 o'clock drain point. In this manner there is no need to remove the wheel and drop the FD to drain the fluid.

I've noticed a number of police bikes out there being parted out. Will a 2008 or 2009 FD unit with a bottom port swap out with my 2007 unit without changing anything else or gear ratio worries?

Thanks for the input.

The gear ratio for the police final drive will be different (2.75) than your current non-PD final drive (2.62), so you'll change your acceleration/top speed/mpg.

I too have an '07RT, and though it's a little annoying to have to pivot the final drive down each time to renew the gear oil, it gives me access to the final drive/splines which need grease anyways. It's also a good time to double check that the rubber boot is in the right position. Beemberboneyard has a kit that includes the new nut for the final drive pivot bolt.

If I were going to do the swap, I would opt for a 2009+ model, since BMW added a vent to the drive that may have possibly increased longevity of the drive itself (search deeper for more info).

Back