• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking for info on the R1200RS

willhawks

May well be my last bike. Loved the R100RS and owned 2 R1100RS bikes. Thinking about a 1299/1250 RS. Any and all feedback is welcome. Greatest day on the R1100RS was Scranton to Canadian Border in 6.5 hours with a passenger and 2 fuel stops (1 to eat as well as fuel). Fire away!!

I see in your K1300S thread you thought you may need to change the shield, bars and pegs on that bike.
The RS has a more upright riding position and has a larger fairing.
The RS weighs 520 pounds compared to 560 for the K1300S.
The RS only has 125 HP compared to 175 for the S.
To my eye the S has a sleeker look compared to the RS.
The RS has electronic cruise control.
The RS is easier to work on or cheaper to work on if you have the dealer service it.

Here's another forum for the RS.
https://www.r1200rsforum.com/

Forum for the K1300S
http://www.i-bmw.com/index.php?

I have over 40,000 miles the the R1200RS and the only change I have made is to install a set of Heli-bars handlebar risers. Mpg hovers in the very high 40's to low 50's giving 230+ miles to the tank. Enough power/torque to pass just about anything without downshifting. Handling is limited only by the skill of the rider. Brakes are superb. If you don't like the SIZE of the RT, the RS is a great option with less weather protection but the same drivetrain. I have never been comfortable with bikes the size of the RT- I prefer something smaller/lighter.

Frank

Forgot to mention we have not made any mods to our RSs.
Some people do not like the windshield but we're happy with it in the low position.

Most owners seem to be happy with the stock seat.

I too got the RS because the current RT was just to bulbous, heavy for me. The GS was tip toe pain to maneuver ..and everyone has one!

When the new RS was announce I ordered one. Suits my needs perfectly. Got the 2nd highest seat and is the first bike of the last 5 that I did not replace the seat with an after market one.
It is a sweet bike in the twisties. The wind and weather coverage is fine.. have done several 600 mile days, 2 of them in rain all day. Love the bike.

The new R1250RS has a bit more power/torque, LED lights and the TFT display(a big improvement).

Love the bike

ps The RS does dry dirt roads just fine...so if there is something interesting at the end of one do not hesitate.

The new R1250RS has a bit more power/torque, LED lights and the TFT display(a big improvement).

If I was looking for a new bike I would probably go for the 1250RS over the 1200RS because of more power, better lights and the TFT display.
As you know not many people are happy with the 1200RS dash.

Revzilla/Common Tread Review

Revzilla's Common Tread blog did a nice in-depth review of the RS when if first came out.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/bmw-r-1200-rs-review

Be careful reading it, it cost me a lot of money! I was interested enough that last summer I stopped in the local dealers to look at them. Alas, although they had them in stock, they didn't have an RS demo bike. Sitting on them in the showroom made me think the ergos probably weren't quite right for my 6' 2", aged, not-very-supple self. Since I was there anyway, at the dealer's suggestion I test rode an R1200RT. I now no longer own my three year old wonderful FJR1300.

Ride safe, have fun!

Why in the world did they not carry forward the gorgeous Light Grey Metallic / Magellan Grey Metallic Matte with red frame?

Revzilla's Common Tread blog did a nice in-depth review of the RS when if first came out.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/bmw-r-1200-rs-review

Be careful reading it, it cost me a lot of money! I was interested enough that last summer I stopped in the local dealers to look at them. Alas, although they had them in stock, they didn't have an RS demo bike. Sitting on them in the showroom made me think the ergos probably weren't quite right for my 6' 2", aged, not-very-supple self. Since I was there anyway, at the dealer's suggestion I test rode an R1200RT. I now no longer own my three year old wonderful FJR1300.

Ride safe, have fun!

The RS acting as a gateway to the RT is a pretty common story, especially as we get older.

I got a 2016 R1200RS in late 2015. Terrific motorcycle by any standard (and I have owned a bunch of bikes over the years). But it had three problems that detracted; riding position, mirrors and windshield.

I was 66 at the time, and the riding position on the RS gave me trouble (pressure on wrists). I switched to the bars from an R1200R, and put a 23 mm riser on, and it really made a difference.

The rearview mirrors were next to useless. But they came off quite easily, and I replaced them with bar-end mirrors. I am very happy with how that worked out.

The windshield was harder to remedy. There were not may aftermarket options in 2016. I took a California Science windshield (tall), and added some "wings" to it, which then resulted in flapping at speed. I fabricated an aluminum cross support, which completely solved that problem, and it all worked. It's too complicated to describe in a short message, but it worked out very well. But the one I made is getting older and scratched, and I don't want to go through the work of making up another replacement myself. So, I recently ordered a flo-max Medium touring shield,.

The "medium" did not work. I am 6' tall with a 33" inseam, and the Flo-max medium is too low. Even in the raised position, the air blast hits me right above the eyebrows. Now I have a "tall" on order. I will report back on the results.

But, alas, despite these fixes, I took a five hour trip on the RS, and could not wait for the end of the ride. After about three hours, pain develops in the seat, wrists and neck. As great a motorcycle as it is, it is simply never going to be good for rides over 3 hours, at least not for someone my size.

And so, like you, I fell upon the 1200RS. in 2017, BMW had a great year-end deal (0% financing!), and I bought an R1200RT.

I love it! I have not felt it necessary to make any modifications to the windshield, foot rests, mirrors, seat or other ergonomic parts. (I got the factory GPS/Display, and I have added a CAM-bus and lighting modifications, engine guards, and an Airhawk seat pad, and that's it.) I took the same 5 hour ride on the RT as I had taken on the RS (right after I did a 2 hr. local tour with a buddy), and it was perfectly comfortable to the end.

At age 67, 6' and way too many pounds, the RT really fills the bill. It replaced an 850 lb. 2009 H-D FLSTCU (Ultra); talk about losing weight!

The RS is still used for local rides, and my high opinion of the RS has not changed. It's a great bike upon which to go out and get rowdy. But recently I have been considering selling it, because I find usually prefer the RT when heading out, even on local rides. I could use the money to buy something else.

So many motorcycles, so little time!

Last edited:
the rearview mirrors were bad.

The mirrors came off quite easily, replaced with bar-end mirrors. Very happy.

Welcome to the forum.

Out of curiosity what was the problem with the mirrors.
Was the placement wrong for you or did they vibrate?
How did you deal with the holes in the fairing after removing the mirrors?

The RS acting as a gateway to the RT is a pretty common story, especially as we get older.
!

I'm 72 and just the opposite. I came to the RS in 2015 (2016 model) after having had earlier RTs, which where both lighter and trimmer than the current generation of RT.

I found the RS much closer to the earlier RTs in size, weight, Cof G etc.

I too did add a Calsi windshield (Medium which is wider not higher than stock), lowered the pegs, (helps old knees) and raised the bar by about one inch. I put about 10k miles a year on the bike and find it good for long distance riding.

All this shows that different riders favor different things.

ps FWIW I've had no problem with the mirrors, In fact I think them exceptional. Also serve as a good GoPro mounting point.

If the next generation of the RS (not the 2019 R1250RS which is the same bike but a better motor) I offers a truly premium suspension I will buy one. But enjoy my RS now and planning my spring trip.

Wanda and I bought a 2016 RS in June of 2015, the sexy Blue and White one ;) It is our first and only R bike, and now has 37,000 miles on the odo.

We have owned several Ks with our most recent being an '08 K1200GT that will very soon (tomorrow!) be traded in for a '19 K16GT Sport.

My/our opinion of the RS.

She has a very spunky engine, though always seems to be relaxed when compared to the multi cylinder K bikes. A totally different "vibe" than the multis.

I seem to have to shift her more often than the Ks from 6th down to 5th. The Ks seem happier at that low of rpm.

Even so, she will pull very hard when in either Road or Dynamic mode, easily reaching the ton two up with both bags and trunk packed.

She's smaller than the Ks. Definitely lighter, some 110 pounds or more lighter than our K1200GT wedge or our K1200RS brick.

For two up riding she is a bit small - side bags and trunk are not near as roomy as the GT or the RTs. We also sit closer together.

I rode sport bikes for years and find the RS riding position acceptable. As I get older (over 70) I do get a pain here and there. But it happens when riding any of our three Beemers ('02 KRS, '08 K12GT, '16 R12RS), just in different places.

We've ridden the R12RS on several three to five day ride-abouts. The luggage limits us a bit, but not much.

The fairing is a bit small though at 6 feet 180 lbs 32 inseam it isn't bad. I did put on a set of bar backs to move the handle bars back about an inch or so.

I do think mirror placement could have been better. I see my arms and have to shift to get a good rear view. Bike Master Blind Spot stick on mirrors really help.

Even with her few "flaws", we're enjoying our '16 R1200RS LC and plan to put a bunch more miles on her...though the new '19 K1600GT Sport might get preferential treatment for a while ;)

Back