• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dakar 2019!

Yes I know BMW has long been out of it but it is the most exciting racing in the world! I am a Dakar junkie and am glued to it every year as much as possible depending on pesky things like work. I have been giving $$ to privateers for many years and enjoy helping people chase their dreams. This year I was put on to a young woman from Lima, (24), entering her first Dakar. I've done a lot of chatting with her on messenger and she seems super nice and is very keen. Her name is Gianna Valarde
i-h9bT5t3-S.jpg
Teruhito Sugawara is a friend of mine, he and his father Yoshimasa are the Hino factory truck drivers and Yoshi-san has run 35 Dakars in a row! The trucks are amazing to watch! I've been to their bay at the factory, pretty wild machinery!
i-GXWNZ9p-S.jpg
It's awesome viewing and the F5 Dakar thread on ADVrider is the best place to keep up to date during the event.

check it out.
https://www.dakar.com/en/

It is very sad that we have to go to forums to get any information on the Dakar rally.
The sports channels in the US are truly useless for most motorsports that doesn't involve driving around in circles.....
Viva ADVrider!:dance

Thanks to 20774 for merging my thread into this one. Agreed our TV sucks and it has for years. ADVtider has a very serious and dedicated group of followers and in the Dakar resource thread they put up every link they can find for TV coverage etc. There is no place else on earth that has as up to date info as the F5irehose coverage thread with people all over the world and in the bivouac putting up to the minute posts as the race unfolds. Getting into that is always a fun ride, I've been on there for many years.

TV Coverage

It is very sad that we have to go to forums to get any information on the Dakar rally.
The sports channels in the US are truly useless for most motorsports that doesn't involve driving around in circles.....
Viva ADVrider!:dance

Go to the Cycle News website and click on TV listings.

https://www.cyclenews.com/motorcycle-tv-listings/

Electronic subscriptions to Cycle News are free.

They typically do reporting on their web site and in their free weekly publication.

Wayne Koppa
#71,449
Grayling, MI

I think we are at a high point for good coverage of motorcycle competition on TV. BEIN Sports (#392 on Dish) carries MotoGP, World SuperBike and MotoAmerica Super Sport and Super Bike; all flag to flag without commercials. NBCSN carries American Flat Track racing; Singles and Twins. They also carry Dakar and Real Road Racing from Europe. This is a series conducted exclusively on public streets and includes several Isle of Man TT heavyweights. Motocross of various manifestations is on a few channels and Maverick TV seems to have a variety of bike competitions. Isle of Man TT is also covered on one of the cable sports networks, which one I cannot recall. And, finally, for a four wheel fix F1 is on ESPN 2, courtesy of the Sky Network; great coverage with former drivers and champions involved.

This evening on NBCSN they start showing Dakar at 6:30 ET. Check to see if you get this channel. Looks like it is every night until 1-15-19. Good luck.

The NBC Sports coverage is mediocre at best. All you get is a 30 minute summary of the previous day's racing. Unfortunately, it's all we get.

I've never owned a TV in my life and therefore I do not have any TV accounts so no North America coverage for me.

The NBC Sports coverage is mediocre at best. All you get is a 30 minute summary of the previous day's racing. Unfortunately, it's all we get.

The upside is that they can translate the manny languages. Robbie Gordon is back on a Textron (formerly Artic Cat) UTV.
I would like to see the Baja 1000, Mint 400 or any of those races.
It’s on now :burnout
OM

Yeah but those races are only enduros on marked courses, the whole fun of the game comes from being navigation rallies where the competitors have to navigate from roadbooks.

I did an 8 day navigation rally in Mongolia and i can tell you it is an amazing way to go racing even if all you are going for is a finishers medal.

I can put up pics of what a roadbook looks like so you can imagine trying to read and understand what the roadbook is telling you at the same time you are trying to ride your bike offroad at speed. The pros do it at 100 MPH and I can attest that it is an amazing feat of talent!

Had my enduro racing ticket so I’m familiar with “route sheets”. I still use that method when I look at a map to get to a destination.
One of those Iveco or Mann trucks would be just about right in Boston traffic :eek
OM

I think we are at a high point for good coverage of motorcycle competition on TV. BEIN Sports (#392 on Dish) carries MotoGP, World SuperBike and MotoAmerica Super Sport and Super Bike; all flag to flag without commercials. NBCSN carries American Flat Track racing; Singles and Twins. They also carry Dakar and Real Road Racing from Europe. This is a series conducted exclusively on public streets and includes several Isle of Man TT heavyweights. Motocross of various manifestations is on a few channels and Maverick TV seems to have a variety of bike competitions. Isle of Man TT is also covered on one of the cable sports networks, which one I cannot recall. And, finally, for a four wheel fix F1 is on ESPN 2, courtesy of the Sky Network; great coverage with former drivers and champions involved.

Motocross from Anaheim on next :thumb
OM

Spoiler alert!!!!!

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!

American motorcycle rider Ricky Brabec was overall leader after stage six. The engine failed on his Honda in stage seven; he is out of the race.

Not sure what you expected, but given how rare Dakar fans are in the US, we should be happy we get what we do. The photography is outstanding. They give a good rundown on who did what and what happened to the leaders. There are a bunch of classes to cover, so bikes are only a small piece of it.

Unless they mount cameras on the bikes, I can't see them getting much more film. It's got to be awfully expensive to have helicopters following all these guys. Drones?

Last year's Dakar was covered by Lyndon Poskitt in a series of YouTube video's and was the best Dakar coverage ever from a motorcycle perspective. He was also riding the Malle Moto division!
A shame really he isn't racing this year..

Back