• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

LoneRider semi rigid soft panniers

brownie0486

Had two get offs Sunday with the new LR bags going up and over 4 peaks, Az. 1st was on rock ledge on a hairpin turn to a 25 degree climb. I stalled the bike when I gave it power thinking I'd made 1st gear, but it was still in 2nd and stalled it. The ledge was not horizontal, but lower on the left side than the right. So when the bike went over to the left, the wheels were actually higher than the tank.

No damage to the left bag. Got the bike home and put it away tired and sore from 8 hours riding in the dirt. Monday morning, got the pressure washer out and just like the video of the LR bags being thrown off that bike onto a dirt road and dragged, no damage whatsoever. Hardly even a light scruff mark can be found on the bag where it took the brunt of the fall. The considerable accumulation of dirt/dust on the bags washed off near instantly, also just like in their video.

Second get off was in deep sand, nothing major. Just picked it up and kept riding. BUT, the rock ledge was comprised of sharp volcanic rock. The CE2 armored jacket kept me from suffering anything more than bruising, the ballistic nylon chaps saved my legs from getting eaten up on the sharp rocks. Put a small nick/ding on the left side of the helmet just above and behind the ear. Sena didn't get dinged.

I'd have been replacing the left Vario bmw case if I'd not changed to these semi rigid soft bags. Thank you LR for offering these bags to consumers. This hypalon material is amazingly abrasion resistant, not sure how other soft bags would have fared on the jagged volcanic rocks. One vario is near 500 to replace, so to my thinking, the money spent on a bag system that can stand up to these get offs like that is a bargain.

A little pricey for some, but not that much more so than other softer bags not made of this hypalon material. IMO, the extra funds spent on these was worth the price in that first get off.

https://www.lonerider-motorcycle.com/products/motobags

I'm currently shopping for soft pannier bags for my Honda CRF250. Did you also consider Mosko Moto (currently my #1 choice) and if so, why did the Lone Rider win out?

Thanks!

From Mosko site

Pannier Size & Exhaust Offset Note: We previously offered the Backcountry Pannier in a 35L and 25L size, and had an exhaust offset option as well. At the moment we only offer a symmetrical 35L pannier kit. Using the side compression straps on the Backcountry 35L pannier, it is possible to reduce the volume of the exhaust-side pannier to 25L.

Cutout Pannier Rack Note: Bikes with stock racks and a pannier exhaust cutout (like the R1200GSA or F800GSA for example) require an additional adapter. Check the 'Hardware & Parts' section of our site, or email us with questions.

Backcountry 35L Pannier Kit $ 730.00

Basically the same price with the discount I got from LR, I preferred to semi rigid bags coming off the hard bags, plus all the above kindsa made the decision for me

Thanks.

The symmetrical 35L size Mosko will work fine on my Honda since I don't need the exhaust cutout...gotta support my OR based local company! :)

Back