• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Member, Orange County NY

passedetp

Hello and Merry Christmas,
I recently joined and have been perusing some posts as I am very interested in purchasing a 2019 R1250GS Adventure. I'll be transitioning from the saddle of a Harley Heritage and have done some pretty long rides on that machine. Looking forward to owning a GSA by April of next year. Would like to use the experience and expertise of the members here to make sure I don't stumble into any unforeseen problems when it comes to purchasing, maintaining, and outfitting my new GSA.

I have quite a few questions that cover a lot of topics regarding adventure riding and BMW. I'll try my best to inquire in the correct thread.

Other than that, hope your holidays are great.

Take care,
Austin

Get Some Training!

Serially, do yourself a favor and take a good course about dual-sport riding.

You'll learn what you can do on such a big bike, and you'll become more confident with your Expensive Steed!

Consider, perhaps, the BMW Performance Off-road course near Spartenburg, SC.

Or there are those RawHyde dudes out west. Their school would certainly be lots of fun and Challenging.

Or you might consider early-spring training in NC; Google Cornerspin training
(they use small dirt bikes so it's cheaper & 'easier').

An educated & well-trained rider, will be a Happier Camper when those inevitable off-road challenges arise...

OH, Lastly, depending on your ultimate goals, Heidenau tires are the way to go; Everywhere...

That's my tuppence.... former F800GS weenie,

HSV-Phil
:thumb

Serially, do yourself a favor and take a good course about dual-sport riding.

You'll learn what you can do on such a big bike, and you'll become more confident with your Expensive Steed!

Consider, perhaps, the BMW Performance Off-road course near Spartenburg, SC.

Or there are those RawHyde dudes out west. Their school would certainly be lots of fun and Challenging.

Or you might consider early-spring training in NC; Google Cornerspin training
(they use small dirt bikes so it's cheaper & 'easier').

An educated & well-trained rider, will be a Happier Camper when those inevitable off-road challenges arise...

OH, Lastly, depending on your ultimate goals, Heidenau tires are the way to go; Everywhere...

That's my tuppence.... former F800GS weenie,

HSV-Phil
:thumb

I just got back from the RawHyde training in CA. I dirt ride a 250 Yamaha so I rented a 750 out there. It was very intense - lots of braking drills, balance riding, etc. And LOTS OF FUN!!! I can now ride standing up with one foot on a peg while the other leg is kneeling on the seat. I had a blast. Unfortunately I had to cut it short because of knee issues. The drills require lots of putting feet down, standing back up, etc. My knees weren't having it. A couple of other guys got hurt - one busted ankle, one sprained shoulder, and one sprained wrist. If you go, armor up!

Good Luck fixin those decrepit knees, Bro! Too many Airborne Jumps? That's a BIG bike you 'cided on... :evil

Glad U had fun Training out West there, Egh.
CA I C... It is a rather Big & Magnificent country to eXplore. :thumb

We have some 'chums' who'll be riding their Big Beemers in next month's Iron Butt. Beyond My Skills and/or Desires.
:rolleyes

Now, with all that GS experience, we'll C U in Lebanon next month!

HSV-Phil + HSV-Karen
:eat :wave :beer

Last edited:
Back