• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Camhead feeler guages?

lvermiere

2011 1200RT.

I've checked my valves every 10k miles and now at 65k miles.

3 different feeler gauges. None worked as well as I would have liked. Too short.

What do others recommend?

Lester V in B.C.

I haven't checked the valves on my RT so not sure what the problem is, but you can take the feeler gauge set apart and just use the feelers out of it. Years back I had two sizes I used daily. I bought a couple individual feelers from Snap-On and connected them with a short cord. That was thirty years ago, they are still in my tool box.

Snap-On has the "normal" length feelers, plus 12" long ones too.

Hmmm....i really don't see a problem here....

i use a Starrett NIST certified feeler gauge set that have the leaf length of 2.75".....used successfully on my 13RT....and i did not remove them from the set...:scratch

i do use a pair of loose gauges from Beemer Boneyard for the adjustable type tappets though....

btw, i check my valve every 6000 miles and the bike has over 104000 miles....do the math...

Merry Christmas!

My gauges are standard length, 4" maybe. I remove them from the holder, seems to work slick, what length gauge are you using?

My sets are 2.5 and 3 inches long. They have worked Ok for all the valve checks/adjusts I've done since 1973. No real problem.

In my original post I was just wondering what others were using that were longer. I've just ordered an 8 inch set in metric.

Back