• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Adding heated grips

Davesbmw

Looking at a purchase of a 2013 r 1200 r classic that did not have heated grips from the factory, also does not have the on board computer.
A real low mile bike but I live where we ride if no snow and dry roads and need them.
Has anyone added these to a bike like this?
My worry is that the wiring harness on the bike may not accommodate the new grips, also think there is a controller missing in there somewhere.
Your comments would be appreciated
Dave

They probably can be added, the wiring harness is most likely wired for the extras. The switch cover on the right side is around $260, the grips are around $123 for left, $177 for the right.

We have an 1100R with some aftermarket grips that do use an existing switch location and the OEM rocker switch...point is they are hotter than the OEM and a cheaper route. I did not add them, but have seen similar units in cruiser catalogs.

You might call a local dealer and ask as well to get a cost

Just a reminder that the Classsic, if it has spoked wheels, has inner tubes!

Aftermarket Grips

Thanks
The aftermarket grips I have seen have the wiring harness separate and the wire turns on the handle as you twist it.
I agree they would be less expensive but like the way the OEM look clean with no protruding wires, It is not a deal killer either way.
I talked with Alamo BMW in Boerne Tx they quoted me around $900 to add these. A bit more than I want to spend but you look up all the bits required and it does add up.
Has anyone any recommendations on aftermarket brand that they prefer ?
I do realize the spokes are tube type tires on this model just like the way they look.
Wonder why BMW doesn't use tubeless spoke wheels like my GS has but I guess that would not be RETRO enough.
Just carry tire tools and some patches and maybe a tube.
Thanks
Merry Christmas to you guys down in the Hill country.

Back