• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wondering if these issues on just bought 1999 K1200RS are common or normal

jjgdo

1999 K1200RS with only 16,057 miles received yesterday. I was told a Harley dealership checked the bike. I rode it carefully for 8 miles and 3 issues of note.

1) breaking to a stop in 4th gear, I could not downshift from the complete stop, tried moving the bike forward, and still the shift pedal gave no resistance. Turned off engine released clutch and rolled it a bit forward in gear and it dropped to 3rd, then the pedal functioned.

2) some burning odor slight after the 8 miles, went up to 60 MPH briefly but mostly 20 to 30 MPH.

3)low beam head lamp out, probably simply bulb issue but makes me wonder how good the dealership inspection was.

4) Not sure if the plastic round window on the inner side of the left handle is supposed to show a fluid level but it does NOT. The right handle window does show fluid half way. Is this normal? What is the left handle window for? I was imagining it to be for revealing transmission fluid.

2. Check to see if the timing chain cover or the valve cover is leaking onto the headers.

4. That's the clutch fluid. Place bike on the centerstand and turn the bars to the right. Fluid should be at the top of the painted circle.

2. Check to see if the timing chain cover or the valve cover is leaking onto the headers.

4. That's the clutch fluid. Place bike on the centerstand and turn the bars to the right. Fluid should be at the top of the painted circle.

Thanks, will do.

1. Normal. You should downshift the bike as you slow. Don't stop in a high gear.

2. If the dealership just serviced the bike, they may have spilled oil onto some part of the engine or exhaust. Adding oil (right side of the engine) can be tough if you aren't properly prepared to do it. You'll spill it down the side, which they may have done. Give it some time to see if it burns off.

3. I wouldn't ask a BMW dealer to check out a Harley...…

4. Transmission fluid stays in the transmission, if you're lucky. You know that lever on the left handgrip? Clutch lever? That makes the fluid there the clutch actuation fluid. You pull the lever, the fluid sends that force thru a line to a slave cylinder on the back of the tranny which pushes a rod that disengages the clutch. There should be fluid visible in the sight glass, but depending on the angle of the bars it sometimes doesn't show. You can pull the cover off (four screws) and add to it. BMW used to use DOT 4 brake fluid for that task, but check it out. They may have changed it.

The right bar reservoir holds brake fluid. The brakes need to get flushed every two years or so.

I'd recommend you find a BMW dealer (I know, not easy nor cheap), or a service shop better qualified for that bike. If you post your location, someone on the board might have a recommendation for you.

There's also a breather on the left side top of the engine that may be leaking due to old age.

Thanks for all that effort Jeff. The fluid is noted once I get the left handle higher. Nice to know its normal regarding not down ****fting before breaking to a stop.

The BMW dealer is about 7 miles away. I plan to let them do a servicing on it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

There's also a breather on the left side top of the engine that may be leaking due to old age.

Ditto on The oil return valve atop the motor... it fails in just about every KRS of this era. Cheap material and heat cracks. Be careful to not overfill the oil... halfway on the sight glass works for me and keeps overfill to a minimum. I have needed to replace that for years but it's almost a complete tear down to get to it.

Replacing the Oil Breather Line

The oil breather line on the top of the engine when it cracks will fill the top of the engine with grunk over time.

You can replace it by pulling the tank and the throttle bodies. Normal cautions about messing with the throttle bodys' balance.

I've considered removing the hose all together and replacing it with a tank under the seat, plugging the holes in the throttle bodies.

Some other thoughts...

All the K1200RS bricks we've owned have used some oil. The 1998 was the worst - at 100k miles or so, cylinder 4 ring chipped the cylinder wall. I used a quart of oil in 750 miles.

Fans on the early models were prone to failure. Keep an eye on them, you have two of them. If they don't work you are looking at over heating when riding in town or in extreme heat.

You can test the fan fuse by pressing the horn button. The fan and horn were on the same fuse on our 1998 K1200RS.

Check where the header pipes connect to the cat converter. I've had cylinder #4 crack at the collector on two different K12RSs. I had to replace the exhaust as the local welder guru said he couldn't repair it.

The Brick K1200RSs are great bikes. Plenty of power and room enough for two no problem. Good luck.

Back