Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jim Ford and thoughts about scanning the environment

Jim Ford and thoughts about scanning the environment

I really enjoy reading all the MOA articles regarding riding safely and I especially enjoy Jim Ford's articles because I too like to ride mountain roads at a brisk (but safe) pace. I try to train my eyes to watch the vanishing point and also scan the road and ditches for hazards. It's a constant challenge doing all that while also keeping a eye out for LEO, watching the mirrors, watching my blind spots, and keeping an eye on traffic. I sort of take a holistic approach and try to use my peripheral vision as much as possible but there is also some eye movement involved as well. I wonder if anyone has developed a pattern that they follow that provides maximum efficiency and I'm guessing that fighter pilots are trained to do this in a specific manner. Jim Ford talks of "active eyes" but not overactive eyes. Does anyone know of a proven method that is preferred over other methods? What works for you? Thanks!
    txmxrider
    2003 BMW K1200GT
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Yamaha WR250R

[QUOTE=txmxrider;1151105]It's a constant challenge doing all that while also keeping a eye out for LEO... QUOTE]

I don't worry about the LEO's...they can't catch me.
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    I don't worry about the LEO's...they can't catch me.
    Radio signals travel at the speed of light.....

I have tried to develop a standard sequence for scanning ahead without success. The problem is that as soon as you note something that could cause problems, you concentrate on that for a few seconds and change your scan pattern looking for a safe route or other related dangers.

I too have taken Jim Ford's classes which have opened my eyes greatly. I'm a much better rider now but still plan on taking more of his classes.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ron feurer View Post
    I have tried to develop a standard sequence for scanning ahead without success. The problem is that as soon as you note something that could cause problems, you concentrate on that for a few seconds and change your scan pattern looking for a safe route or other related dangers.

I too have taken Jim Ford's classes which have opened my eyes greatly. I'm a much better rider now but still plan on taking more of his classes.
    Great!
    Welcome to the forum Ron
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Rally Rat

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Radio signals travel at the speed of light.....

Interesting paradox from the OP.

A stated interest in safety, combined with an allusion to avoid detection by law enforcement.

Hmmmmm……..

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Interesting paradox from the OP.

A stated interest in safety, combined with an allusion to avoid detection by law enforcement.

Hmmmmm……..
    Chances are that when there is traffic control “hiding” behind a billboard looking for a chance “7 over”, there is cause for wonder why the operators who take the exit from the third lane- abruptly, are seemingly ignored.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Rally Rat

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Chances are that when there is traffic control “hiding” behind a billboard looking for a chance “7 over”, there is cause for wonder why the operators who take the exit from the third lane- abruptly, are seemingly ignored.
    OM
    Lazy cops. Easier to go to court with 'imperical evidence' (radar print-out) than to convince judge/jury that the lane deviations were "unsafe,' given the lack of a collision.

But does not erase the OP's paradox. Either you have a passion for safety or a passion for speeding. Trying to sell both at the same time ………… one should be in politics!

Lazy cops. Easier to go to court with 'imperical evidence' (radar print-out) than to convince judge/jury that the lane deviations were "unsafe,' given the lack of a collision.

But does not erase the OP's paradox. Either you have a passion for safety or a passion for speeding. Trying to sell both at the same time ………… one should be in politics!
    That presumes that exceeding posted speed limits is necessarily unsafe; it is not in many cases.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

If an leo is doing his job [ running radar issuing tickets is doing his job ] of keeping the public at a presumed safe posted speed, that officer is NOT being lazy.

A lazy leo would be hiding in the back of a cemetery or behind a closed school waiting for shift change or to answer a call.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    A lazy leo would be hiding in the back of a cemetery or behind a closed school waiting for shift change or to answer a call.
    Funny how we even know they have been known to do such a thing.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Funny how we even know they have been known to do such a thing.
    I worked with enough of them who hid on shifts, a few grave yard guys who'd sleep from 3-6am on every shift in the "favorite" hiding place.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Hiding

Third hand information I repeat 3rd hand information
    Illinois which has motorcycle police on the road sometimes and sometimes not, one of the times when motorcycle policemen on the road, one of them told a friend of friend that you needed to watch your speed early in the day or shift, while they did not have quotas, they usually wrote the number of tickets wanted the first couple of hours of the shift than they just enjoyed the ride the rest of the day.
    Remember this is 2nd hand hearsay, but it kind of jives with what I observed on long commutes to various job sites.

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    That presumes that exceeding posted speed limits is necessarily unsafe; it is not in many cases.
    Now ya done it

Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Now ya done it

Evidently, I accidentally stumbled upon to fact that police officers are human and exhibit all the foibles and character flaws as the rest of us. Whoda thunk?
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana