Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Jim Ford and thoughts about scanning the environment

Smile

The MSF and most 'track-day' schools have been stressing these "FiveSmithKeys" for decades.

What this appears to be is the same advice, packaged into a copyrighted presentation, and 'geared' for non-motorcycle highway users.

However, if one thinks such a seminar would have value at a National, it should be looked into - too many MOA members lack formal or recurring instruction, so it would be a good refresher of 'common sense' behind the handlebars.
    Last edited by greenwald; 01-13-2019 at 02:16 PM.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

Quote Originally Posted by txmxrider View Post
    I really enjoy reading all the MOA articles regarding riding safely and I especially enjoy Jim Ford's articles because I too like to ride mountain roads at a brisk (but safe) pace. I try to train my eyes to watch the vanishing point and also scan the road and ditches for hazards.
    I found it humorous that he set the stage for almost crashing because he was fantasizing about my wife.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    It's OK to link to the keys on their web site: https://www.drivedifferent.com/smith5keys/
    Nothing new there, but it sums up defensive driving very well. Point 5 is especially important to motorcyclists since we are harder to spot in traffic and safety studies all agree this is a big problem for us.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)