• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What do young riders want?

Well ………….. you and I still "agree to disagree" as to how to sustain the MOA, but GEARS is a worthwhile endeavor, and it's not that hard to support. Just because I think young riders are not that prolific a resource to be tapped, doesn't mean we turn them away if them come knocking.

I already have a cardboard box conspicuously labeled "For Donation to 2019 GEARS" set aside in a corner of the basement, and now have the perfect excuse to spend $$$ at the IMS in Chicago next weekend!

I'll ship in time for Rally Receiving to have it by Wednesday of rally week. :wave

I see and know plenty of young riders. They are just not riding BMWs, because they’re too expensive for newer ones, or they require too much work for the older ones. BMW will never get a big share of the younger riders for these two reasons.

I ride a dirt bike with kids from 14 to 40 and all ages in between. Very few are as old as me. I’m not as fast in the dirt as the younger folks because I don’t have that fearless mentality any longer but I still have a blast and it takes me back to my youth.

If you want to see and interact with young riders, get a dirt bike. I promise they’ll be laughing at you and calling you gramps, until you take off with them on some single track and they see you keeping up. I ride with one guy who wears me out every time, but he tells me that he sees other more younger guys that have half my ability (and I’m not that good in the dirt).

We should invite these youngsters to come to our events and give them a budget to shoot some videos.

Fixed that for ya! :thumb

That video has over a million views and those people have 8,600 followers. Blitz Motorcycles is a French group.... what they're doing is very popular in Europe and I believe it is growing here. Brother Moto is an example of the same approach here in the USA. These riders are out there, they are not buying into hotel rallies or bike raffles, they are probably not aware of us but would value some of the things we offer, like the Anonymous Book.

What if we were to shoot a video of Matt Parkhouse showing how to balance airhead carbs, do you think that would be of value to these riders?

Secret hint: something big that is along these lines is gearing up for the Barber Vintage Festival... just you watch!

and, fwiw, this video shows essentially what many of the GS Giants do as they participate in the adventure events.

I’m 43 years old, married with three kids. I bought my first BMW in September of 2018. Before kids, my first bike was a $4000 Kawi Vulcan, then a new Goldwing for a stint and then a HD dresser that my wife and I put 15k miles on before the birth of our first son. First child is now 15 and I wanted another bike. I enjoy riding long distances so I was headed towards another HD. I stopped at the Beemer dealer and liked the looks of the R1200. I am no means a camper, but liked the upright position, the thought if I wanted ride dirt I certainly could. Would never think of taking the chromed out HD down a dirt road...

So I buy the bike this past fall... I look around online for similar interest (age wise included) riders in the area and there are not many. I read the MOA magazine and thought about attending some of the events. When I look at previous pictures of the events most are attended by people my parents age or older. Nothing against that age group, but that’s not my riding circle yet.

While I am fortunate to have a great wife who doesn’t mind me taking a three day weekend trip, that is not the norm anymore for middle aged guys. Most kids are enrolled in sports year round which eats up most most weekends. Most of my buddies are lucky to get a one day pass for either a Saturday or Sunday.

As for bikes, I think The ADV segment is where it’s at right now. The Jap bikes are doing well (price point) and BMW with the GS300’s and the 800’s allow more to join the BMW brand without spending 26k on a top of the line R1250.

I would encourage MOA make itself present at more day function riding activities that draws a younger crowd that doesn’t need a three weekend to attend. Young people like technology, social media. Web forums are dwindling, even ADVRider, most of their members are older I believe. Sponsor some activities that showcase the cheaper bikes, etc.

Back