• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Options info for ordering 2019 R1250RT at dealer

WWeldin

Hello,

I hope I posted in the correct thread.

I will be ordering the new RT at a dealer next week. I am not interested in what color and option pckage the dealer wants; I want a bike for me.

My wife has been speaking over the phone to one of the sales weasels and she briefed him on my wants/don't-wants. Specifically, she mentioned that I did not want keyless start. He replied with "they all come like that now," which got me thinking about all the other items that I do not want.

Does anybody know if it is possible to go in and order a bike to be made with everything that I want and not what the dealer wants?

I do not want keyless start.
I do not want shift assist pro.
I just want the radio option.
Definitely want a certain color with painted topcase, possibly the Option 719 seat, too.

Basically, I would love a little insider info so I will not be told "that cannot be done." I understand it is called a package and I do not need anything Premium.

Does anyone have a little insight?

Cheers,
William

In the past, the "Build your own" web page let you select individual options instead of just packages, but now I see only poorly described packages. In any case, "Keyless Ride" is not a part of all packages, so the salesperson gave your wife some incorrect info. Maybe that dealer has chosen to only order keyless bikes for their showroom.

Early production bikes tend to have all the options, initially dictated by BMW, and then as ordered by the dealers for the showroom. This is partly to get the options on display, mostly because more options mean more profit per bike. Most customers do not want to wait months for a special order. When demand is strong, the dealer may not be willing to use their allotment on a special order with minimal options when they can instead sell a bike with a full load of options. An in-person discussion with the salesperson/sales manager might work better in a few months when demand slows and they know you are a serious shopper. I suspect the dealer still has the codes to special order a bike with only specific features if they are willing to do so.

I can walk in to my local dealer at any time and order a new bike 'built' to my specs. Then wait for delivery. Depending how sales volume is at your particular dealer, you may be asked for a deposit (refundable or not?). As should you cancel, the dealer will be left with a (bare bones) motorcycle that may be difficult to sell.

Hello,

I will be ordering the new RT at a dealer next week. I am not interested in what color and option pckage the dealer wants; I want a bike for me.

My wife has been speaking over the phone to one of the sales weasels and she briefed him on my wants/don't-wants. Specifically, she mentioned that I did not want keyless start. He replied with "they all come like that now," which got me thinking about all the other items that I do not want.

Does anybody know if it is possible to go in and order a bike to be made with everything that I want and not what the dealer wants?

Definitely want a certain color with painted topcase, possibly the Option 719 seat, too.

Basically, I would love a little insider info so I will not be told "that cannot be done." I understand it is called a package and I do not need anything Premium.

Cheers,
William

I think you should reconsider the **** assist pro, myself and many other didn't want it but the bikes came with it. I want it on my other bike and wouldn't buy another without. Just my option.

Jay

Unless it has changed from prior year models - yes - you can order what you want within reason. Go to http://byo.bmwmotorcycles.com/19RT to build. There can be, as you will see, additional cost for certain colors to start with. You'll then go to package, but this is where the online system is lacking. You can piecemeal options as you wish to a degree at the dealer, but not online. The next selection group, options. shows some options but not all...prices are shown. When you sit with AN INFORMED sales person they can configure what you want. There might be an option or two that require some change elsewhere in your build list, but that should be rare.

Do find a dealer and sales person knowledgeable in the art of ordering BMW bikes. Many dealers just take the allotment assigned to them. Many sales people never get involved in ordering/modifying allotted bikes. They do not exercise BMW's system to modify units being built and designated for their dealership. Bikes in their allotment can be selected and built to order online in 10 minutes. Then they are assigned a production number with a approximate build date. Once built they have a VIN and then can be assigned a transport ship (which you are able to view it's progress across the big pond online) to know when it arrives in port, Once it clears customs it doesn't take long to make it to your dealer.

And, best not to use an opening greeting of, "Hi weasel salesperson."

Hello,

Cheers,
William

I ordered my 2017 RT the way I wanted it. I elected to just get the touring package and the dynamic package. This gave me a normal key and no audio or shift assist. I have absolutely zero regrets. My problem with dealers was their desires to make a quick sale from the floor. I had to persist to get my way and then there was a 4 month wait once the order was actually placed. There were things on the floor models that were a hindrance to my way of riding. For example....the second aux power port. It only allowed 5 amps of power....not even enough to power heated gear. Instead I added a powerlet in the existing hole and ran it through a relay with a 15 amp fuse that can handle the load.

Using a Sena 20S, I have FM radio, Nav voice from the GPS, MP3 from the Gps, intercom and bike to bike,and cell phone....all without the expense or poor quality of the BMW audio system.

Check out all the packages and choose which ones work for you. There is nothing like getting it just the way you want it.

Ron

"They all come like that" is a blatant demonstration of either their ignorance or their unwillingness to accommodate you. Here's a picture taken directly from the "Build Your Own" link; if they can't do that, tell them that you will refuse to accept delivery of the vehicle.
RT.jpg

Go to http://byo.bmwmotorcycles.com/19RT to build... /QUOTE]

I see that the "Select" package includes the keyless ride, and most of the other convenience features.

I inquired with my local megadealer about the availability of a stripped down model, and was told that they only bring in fully packaged bikes. I didn't ask about a special order, however.

That's why it needs to be an INFORMED dealer. To many, especially multi line dealers, either don't care about their BMW products or are just too lazy to know they can modify their allotment before it goes into production....THIS IS SAD!

Call until you find a dealer who has an educated sales staff, hopefully they won't be too far away. If you can't find one, call BMW Customer Service and ask them to help. They need to know and so does the regional BMW sales rep.

Lazy uneducated dealers and sales staff are the reason for these situations.

Somewhere there's a list like this for the 2019 R1250RT (below is from a 2018 K1600GT listing), I could not find a 1250 during my brief search. The actual BMW system dealers use for modifying their bike allotment, contains more detail. All they do is select one of their listed allotment bikes, place it in change mode and delete and/or add packages and/or options to the base/standard bike configuration, to have a special order bike set for production. If buyer doesn't want any packages, they can be deleted down to the standard model (see standard features below for this K bike). Then one can add what individual or specific package(s) they want. Ordering as BMW initially configures for dealers allotment will, most times, save money over ordering by individual options, if one only wants a minor variation. Sometimes it's better to accept a package or option you don't want, when it will get you an option or two more (that you do want) at an overall cheaper price.

Standard Features:

With the exception of a center stand, the bagger comes with the same standard equipment as the K 1600 GT:

3 riding modes (Rain, Road, and Dynamic).
Dynamic Traction Control (DTC).
Cornering-optimized integral ABS Pro.
Heated seats and hand grips.
Power adjustable windshield.
Cruise control.
Multifunction display with on-board computer.
Dynamic Electronic Suspension Adjustment (D-ESA) with “Road” and “Cruise” damping modes.
LED rear light and xenon headlight with dynamic leveling.
Packages:

The packages for the bagger are almost identical to the K 1600 GT. The only exception is the Touring Package, which is not yet available on the GT:

Touring Package ($1,850 MSRP): Reverse Assist and Audio System with Radio, Sirius, GPS Prep, Bluetooth and Radio Software. If ordered with Premium Package, the price of the Touring Package is $445 MSRP, as Premium Package already includes all of this equipment except Reverse Assist.
Luxury Plus Package ($1,410 MSRP): Keyless Ride, Gear Shift Assist Pro, Central Locking System, LED Auxiliary Lights, Anti-Theft Alarm.
Safety Plus Package ($735 MSRP): Adaptive Headlight, Hill Start Control, Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM).
Audio, Communication & GPS Prep Package ($1,405 MSRP): Audio System with Radio, Sirius, GPS Prep, Bluetooth and Radio Software.
Premium Package ($3,550 MSRP): includes three of the above packages.
Factory Options:

The single factory options that are available outside of packages for the bagger are similar to the K 1600 GT, but include a number of additional individual options listed below:

Storage Compartment ($200 MSRP) not available w/ Floorboards.
Keyless Ride ($350 MSRP).
Gear Shift Assist Pro, providing clutchless up/down shifts ($475 MSRP).
Floorboards ($200 MSRP) not available with Storage Compartment. Must be ordered with Engine Protection Bars.
Central Locking System ($400 MSRP).
Forged Handlebars ($200 MSRP).
LED Auxiliary Lights ($450 MSRP).
Anti-Theft Alarm ($395 MSRP).
Center Stand ($175 MSRP).
Engine Protection Bars ($200 MSRP).
Low Seat: 29.6” ($0) – Available soon.

You can pretty much order your bike the way you want it, but expect to pay a hefty non refundable deposit, if for some reason you cannot complete the deal the dealer will be stuck with it
I’ve scene a couple “special order” bikes at my local dealer that for some reason buyer couldn’t complete deal, they sat there for the longest time.

How to Order & Track a New BMW

Here's a post I made a few years ago. My hunch is that nothing has changed in the way you can order a BMW motorcycle.

Ordering a BMW car and motorcycle essentially works the same way:

1. Dealer receives production allocation for a certain model. The number of allocations is based, in part, on previous sales at that dealership. Ask your salesperson how many "allocations" they have received.

2. Dealer places order for their inventory or for a specific customer using the BMW computer ordering system (I believe it's called DealerSpeed). There is a priority "field" on the Vehicle Inquiry Status order form that indicates the status. Highest priority is "1-Customer Sold." This tells BMW there's a customer waiting for the bike/car. Other priority numbers, such as "3-Priority Stock" indicates it's for the dealer's inventory.

3. After placing the order, the bike or car is assigned a unique Production Number and production week. When I ordered my 2014 RT on February 5, it was scheduled to be built the last week of February. And the dealer provided me with a printout to show the bike was built as scheduled on February 28.

4. About a week after it was built, the bike's status changed to "In Transit To Warehouse." The dealer's computer then indicated the exact container ship name that would carry the cargo to New Jersey. You can track the ship's progress (Google Marine Traffic).

5. My 2014 RT arrived in New Jersey in mid-April and was delivered to me on April 24.

6. Total time from build date to delivery about 8 weeks.

After the shock recall, I chose Option 4 and sold my 2014 back to BMW, and ordered a 2015 RT on July 8 (he had just received 2 allocations).

I watched as my salesperson input my order and immediately received a unique Production Number. My 2015 RT order indicated status code 111, which means the ordered was accepted by BMW. Changes are allowed until the bike goes into status code 150 (in production). Ordering a BMW auto works the same way.

My 2015 RT was due in New Jersey port on Sep 20. Once is cleared customs, it was released for truck shipping and arrived at my dealer in about 10 days.

When I ordered my 2014, my dealer showed me how to track the truck on the DHL website:

https://dhli.dhl.com/dhli-client/publicTracking?7

In the "Search By" drop-down menu, select "Customer Ref Number"

Then input your VIN. It's case sensitive, so use capital letters.

You should be able to track the shipment, assuming that it's coming via DHL.

Hope this helps. If your salesperson doesn't have a clue on how bikes "magically" arrive at his dealership, perhaps it's time to change dealers.

If you have a bike on order, your salesperson can easily check its progress, based on standard BMW codes, as follows (based on auto production, but most still apply):

0 Order deleted by NA
17 Order not Specified
37 Order is at BMW NA
87 Production Week Assigned
97 Order sent to AG
100 Order deleted by AG
101 Error in data transmitted
102 Special Order (no Prod Week)
105 Order out of Prod. Period
111 Order Accepted at AG
112 Order scheduled for Production
150 Production Started
151 Body Shop Started
152 Paint Shop Started
153 Assembly Started
155 Production Completed
160 Released to Distribution
168 AG Stock
170 Waiting Workshop
172 Planned for Workshop
174 Workshop Entry
176 Workshop Complete
180 Waiting for Export Dispatch
181 Waiting for Domestic Dispatch
182 AG Load No. — Released to Carrier
190 Dispatched ex(port?) BMW AG
191 Returned to BMW AG
193 Arrived at Port of Exit
194 Selected for Shipment
195 Shipped from Port of Exit
196 Shipment Arrival — ATA

Here's a post I made a few years ago. My hunch is that nothing has changed in the way you can order a BMW motorcycle.

Ordering a BMW car and motorcycle essentially works the same way:

1. Dealer receives production allocation for a certain model. The number of allocations is based, in part, on previous sales at that dealership. Ask your salesperson how many "allocations" they have received.

2. Dealer places order for their inventory or for a specific customer using the BMW computer ordering system (I believe it's called DealerSpeed). There is a priority "field" on the Vehicle Inquiry Status order form that indicates the status. Highest priority is "1-Customer Sold." This tells BMW there's a customer waiting for the bike/car. Other priority numbers, such as "3-Priority Stock" indicates it's for the dealer's inventory.

3. After placing the order, the bike or car is assigned a unique Production Number and production week. When I ordered my 2014 RT on February 5, it was scheduled to be built the last week of February. And the dealer provided me with a printout to show the bike was built as scheduled on February 28.

4. About a week after it was built, the bike's status changed to "In Transit To Warehouse." The dealer's computer then indicated the exact container ship name that would carry the cargo to New Jersey. You can track the ship's progress (Google Marine Traffic).

5. My 2014 RT arrived in New Jersey in mid-April and was delivered to me on April 24.

6. Total time from build date to delivery about 8 weeks.

After the shock recall, I chose Option 4 and sold my 2014 back to BMW, and ordered a 2015 RT on July 8 (he had just received 2 allocations).

I watched as my salesperson input my order and immediately received a unique Production Number. My 2015 RT order indicated status code 111, which means the ordered was accepted by BMW. Changes are allowed until the bike goes into status code 150 (in production). Ordering a BMW auto works the same way.

My 2015 RT was due in New Jersey port on Sep 20. Once is cleared customs, it was released for truck shipping and arrived at my dealer in about 10 days.

When I ordered my 2014, my dealer showed me how to track the truck on the DHL website:

https://dhli.dhl.com/dhli-client/publicTracking?7

In the "Search By" drop-down menu, select "Customer Ref Number"

Then input your VIN. It's case sensitive, so use capital letters.

You should be able to track the shipment, assuming that it's coming via DHL.

Hope this helps. If your salesperson doesn't have a clue on how bikes "magically" arrive at his dealership, perhaps it's time to change dealers.

If you have a bike on order, your salesperson can easily check its progress, based on standard BMW codes, as follows (based on auto production, but most still apply):

0 Order deleted by NA
17 Order not Specified
37 Order is at BMW NA
87 Production Week Assigned
97 Order sent to AG
100 Order deleted by AG
101 Error in data transmitted
102 Special Order (no Prod Week)
105 Order out of Prod. Period
111 Order Accepted at AG
112 Order scheduled for Production
150 Production Started
151 Body Shop Started
152 Paint Shop Started
153 Assembly Started
155 Production Completed
160 Released to Distribution
168 AG Stock
170 Waiting Workshop
172 Planned for Workshop
174 Workshop Entry
176 Workshop Complete
180 Waiting for Export Dispatch
181 Waiting for Domestic Dispatch
182 AG Load No. — Released to Carrier
190 Dispatched ex(port?) BMW AG
191 Returned to BMW AG
193 Arrived at Port of Exit
194 Selected for Shipment
195 Shipped from Port of Exit
196 Shipment Arrival — ATA

Excellent post. I use to order our dealerships bikes, but it has been too long ago. The length of time and advancement in my age combine in diminishing many numbered details. And again OP, find a dealership who spends the time and effort to understand how BMW's system works and that they are willing to work it.

Not meant to offend :wave
For your consideration-
You should go in to negotiate in person.
If this is a bike you plan on keeping forever, (could be car pickup etc), you can order it just the way you want. It will require a very specific buyer when it becomes time to part with the bike.
While I am old enough to remember when “duel compartment” “duel circuit” master cylinders, all vehicles are expected to have them.......all vehicles are expected to have the popular options (nowadays).
Finally, live it up......at least ride a version with everything- to be sure.
Gary

Without an actual sales contract, I doubt any deposit would be truly "non-refundable" in the event the customer wants to back out.

Very interesting post! I didn't know how long you have to wait for a especial order. Thanks to kellenbenz, now I do -- four months.

I have thought about doing a special order. I would want everything but NO RADIO. But wait four months for that? We shall see.

Indiana (Wisconsin) = order in November - take delivery in March

In Arizona = order in June - take delivery in October

Jeff, you'd never notice the wait time with those other scoots to ride.

Thanks for all the replies. VERY helpful and useful information. I will be going by the dealer for some one on one time to discuss a new purchase. It will definitely happen, but the color is one of the main options to consider. If wifey likes the red one in person, we may opt for one on the floor. We were at IMS in NYC and BMW did not have RT colors we liked; we wanted to see Mars Red Metallic -vs- Sparkling Storm Metallic in person. The latter looks great with that Option 719 seat.

I have read numerous threads concerning the technology and I got a little hesitant. Some of the replies in this thread have put that at ease..

Once again, I really appreciate the replies! I will post later once I settle on the order.

Thanks for all the replies. VERY helpful and useful information. I will be going by the dealer for some one on one time to discuss a new purchase. It will definitely happen, but the color is one of the main options to consider. If wifey likes the red one in person, we may opt for one on the floor. We were at IMS in NYC and BMW did not have RT colors we liked; we wanted to see Mars Red Metallic -vs- Sparkling Storm Metallic in person. The latter looks great with that Option 719 seat.

I have read numerous threads concerning the technology and I got a little hesitant. Some of the replies in this thread have put that at ease..

Once again, I really appreciate the replies! I will post later once I settle on the order.

If you decide on Mars red and a special order, see if the factory will paint the "nose" Mars red for you.

Attachments

• - Mars red nose.jpg
    - Mars red nose.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 285
If you decide on Mars red and a special order, see if the factory will paint the "nose" Mars red for you.

Thanks, but the red one is in the showroom already. I want a topcase and prefer it painted to match. I actually bought a new helmet (Schuberth C4) in Resonance Red in anticipation of purchasing the Mars Red, until Laura viewed Sparkling Storm. LOL. We shall see.

Back