• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

LOOKING AT 2004 R1150 RT - What To Look Out For???

timonbik

Looking at a used R1150 RT. It has very low kilometers on it. Was hoping the faithful could give me some things to be aware of on this model? These bikes are so much more complicated than my last BMW airhead.

Thanks, Tim

Rt

I've owned my '04 RT since new and it now has 104k.

Things to look out for:

Make sure oil and fluid changes were done at least every 6k.

Brake fluid (Power assisted brakes need flushing at least every 2 years)
Clutch fluid flush (at least every 2 years also)

Rear end play. Grab wheel at 6 and 12 and try moving. Then grab at 9 and 3 and do the same.

Big problem with some bikes is that the ignition key harness gets stressed from moving the bars, over time, since the wiring was wrapped too tight. Verify that there's no loss of power when moving the bars (key on)

Other than that, just take it for a ride and see how it feels.

RickR90s

I recently bought a low mileage 2004 1150 RT and test drive was good. On the way home the ABS light came on. Long story short, i ended up doing two flushes and replacing the brake lines which has so far corrected the issue. The ABS light didn't come on until after about 20 to 30 minutes of riding, and was not always consistent. I would recommend taking it for a decently long test drive.

Brake Stuff

I recently bought a low mileage 2004 1150 RT and test drive was good. On the way home the ABS light came on. Long story short, i ended up doing two flushes and replacing the brake lines which has so far corrected the issue. The ABS light didn't come on until after about 20 to 30 minutes of riding, and was not always consistent. I would recommend taking it for a decently long test drive.

Above brake flush stuff sounds like good preventive maintenance, do it right away than you know when it was done that it was done right and when you next need to do it.

Just remember that bleeding the brakes on the 04 RT with the servo brakes can be done by the owner but it is not the same as doing the brakes on non-servo bikes.

Looking at a used R1150 RT. It has very low kilometers on it. Was hoping the faithful could give me some things to be aware of on this model? These bikes are so much more complicated than my last BMW airhead.

Thanks, Tim

If it has the original rubber brake lines, replace them IMMEDIATELY - or sooner.

Welcome to the Forum!
There must be a half a dozen threads at least on buying an '04 1150RT so try the search box above and you will find more than you can read in one evening for sure. No one has mentioned the potential final drives issues with this model or the too short input shaft that does not fully engage the clutch hub. This issue has caused a lot of input shaft failures and clutch hub failures. I would never buy an 1150RT without a thorough inspection of the splines. This involves removing the left side tupperware, pulling the starter and taking some measurements. All documented here already.

Thank you all for your input. The driveshaft spline issue is a concern. I see that this is a quite an expensive repair. I was aware of the issue but wasn't sure what years and what model were affected. May rethink my decision on a 2004. What year was the issue resolved?

Tim

Tim,
I wouldn’t be afraid of the input shaft, I’d just check it before purchase. It’s quite easy.

Here are the things I've replaced or upgraded over six years of owning a 2004 R1150RT:

1. SS brake lines.
2. New stick coils
3. Second Load Relay (already on some bikes)
4. Replaced all in-tank fuel hoses (very important if it hasn't been done yet)
5. Inspect the clutch hub to transmission input shaft for excessive play.

Things I also changed:
5. Changed to stock spark plugs
6. Added an LC-1 (AF-XIED) mixture richening system.
7. Replaced the starter because the original dropped its internal cover onto the armature.
7.5 Left-side Cam Chain Tensioner

Things not to add/change.
8. No need to externalize the fuel filter
9. No need to change the coding plug
10. No need to remove the charcoal canister
11. No need for any other fueling mod
12. Leave the stock intake tubes
13. Leave the stock exhaust
14. If you have an AGM battery, don't use a Battery Tender Jr. charger.

Do give it a proper tune up and use stock fluids.

14. If you have an AGM battery, don't use a Battery Tender Jr. charger.

Excellent advice as usual from a number of members. Not to derail the thread, but why the caution on the BT Jr. charger? I've used them on my AGM batteries for 10 years with one battery 8 years old and still working fine. Curious minds want to know! :scratch

Excellent advice as usual from a number of members. Not to derail the thread, but why the caution on the BT Jr. charger? I've used them on my AGM batteries for 10 years with one battery 8 years old and still working fine. Curious minds want to know! :scratch

Here we go........................

I'm curious too as I have a PC680 removed from my R1100RT, now about 12+ years old that still cranks my non-electric Piper J4. Always on a ground-based BT Jr.

Check out the Odyssey web site. They explain it well.

Could you be more specific about where on the Odyssey site to look? Their site is extensive and the only thing that I can find is why you should use their chargers but nothing about not using a Battery Tender Jr.

Could you be more specific about where on the Odyssey site to look? Their site is extensive and the only thing that I can find is why you should use their chargers but nothing about not using a Battery Tender Jr.

Google search “approved odyssey battery chargers”: http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/ODYSSEY_approved_12V_chargers.pdf

Note the absence of BT Jr.

Also see: http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/ODYSSEY_Battery_Reconditioning_Charge_Procedure.pdf

Odyssey is not the only AGM battery manufacturer concerned with maintaining its batteries at 100% SOC (state of charge). Here is an aviation battery company I came across the other day when looking at batteries for a Cessna: http://www.concordebattery.com/accessories.php?id=58. It too specifies a specific charger.

Last edited:
My odyssey stuff says odysssey want 6 amps to charge the battery. So none of the little chargers do the job right. But it will do it to 90 or 95%. Pick your poison. 95% starts fine but probably decreases battery life.

There is nothing on the Odyssey website that says you can't use a Battery Tender Jr. either.

AGM stands for absorbed glass mat. In short, it's an FLA with fiberglass between the plates. If you have a charger that approaches the 14.0V area when charging, an AGM will be fine. Odyssey just happens to have a battery that fits our bikes while I haven't been able to find an Optima or Northstar to fit.

Chargers get a little more specific when dealing with VRLA's like the ones found in aircraft but last I looked, my bike didn't have wings.

There is nothing on the Odyssey website that says you can't use a Battery Tender Jr. either.

That’s true, just as there is nothing on the Odyssey site that says you can’t use a 6V charger.

Odyssey only lists approved chargers, they have no list of those that don’t fully charge their batteries.

Last edited:
Back