• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cruise control

Curious if when a cage is equipped with 'adaptive,' you can switch to a passive mode cruise control solely operated by you, or are you always at the mercy of Skynet? :scratch

I can speak for Honda automobiles. You can switch to traditional cruise (passive mode) if you prefer. I do not care for adaptive cruise, too many semi trucks on Indiana roads and they have a slower mandated speed limit than cars and motorcycles.

Last edited:
I can speak for Honda automobiles. You can switch to traditional cruise (passive mode) if you prefer. I do not care for adaptive cruise, too many semi trucks on Indiana roads and they have a slower mandated speed limit than cars and motorcycles.

Makes sense. My SUV's are currently 2013 and 2014 models.

Perhaps my next set of wheels will have this 'adaptive' helper. :dunno

I have and I would again buy a motorcycle without cruise control. At the places I ride the most a cruise would be less than useful: too many hills and curves, short sight distances, and upshifts and downshifts. If I did a lot of interstate droning I might feel different.

Agree with this for sure. Plus ...

All the rest one's right hand/arm requires is about 15 seconds every ?? minutes (or hours). Once that's over, where will your right hand go? Mine goes back on the throttle.

If you ride in groups and you're not the lead dog, you won't like using your cruise control.

I find throttle locks particularly dangerous, and adding a step to reacting to an emergency or sudden situation isn't a good thing.

You can create today's version of the old-time screw throttle lock by inserting an o-ring between the handgrip and switch block ... creates enough friction to keep the throttle where it is for your 15 seconds.

All the rest one's right hand/arm requires is about 15 seconds every ?? minutes (or hours).

Now, is that before the 3 labral tears, torn rotator cuff, erosion of all the cartilage on the humoral head, ruptured biceps tendon, complete shoulder rebuild with subsequent arthritis, cubital tunnel and carpal tunnel syndrome, or after?

As for me, I enjoy being on 2 wheels, and do not judge others for their 2 wheeled pursuit of happiness. It doesn't matter to me if you're on BMW, Harley, Honda, Vespa, Cruiser, Touring, Scrambler, Moto-X, or a Raleigh 10-speed, whatever you're into, I salute you. I wave, smile, and hope you're enjoying it as much as I do.

Rant on: After reading this thread I have concluded I can no longer afford to be a modern BMW rider. My K75s and R1150R and almost brand new G310GS don't have high zoot electronic adaptive or not cruise control. It seems to be the consensus of the posters here that none of those motorcycles are worthy of owning. The same could be said for all the Airhead, classik K, and Oilhead motorcycles out there. So I guess all of us who refuse to spend north of $20,000 for a motorcycle should just get off the road.

This is, tongue in cheek, nonsense of course, but is precisely the definite implication of all of the "I would never own" pronouncements in this thread. So if you wrote that, you need to sell any bike that does not have that precious feature you announced you had to have.

I will watch the marketplace to see who is intellectually honest to their own pronouncements. :)

Last edited:
Hello Paul,

I agree with you wholeheartedly. After reading threads like this I am amazed that my /2 bikes, WITHOUT THE BENEFIT OF EVEN AN ELECTRIC STARTER, will still start on the first or second KICK and provide such a satisfying riding experience. Let's not even talk about my Norton 850 MK IIA. No kick starter, high compression AND the electrics are bassakward with a positive ground. How the hell does that even run??? The answer is...quite well thank you. :scratch

Practice good skills and technique rather than put all your trust in electronics that can fail without warning. Learn to ride well as opposed to trusting the "features" to save your ass.

Anybody attending the PA Supertech event is welcome to come sit in on my long running technical session..."Adjusting the loose nut at the handlebar" :dance

Friedle

Interesting, out of 66 posts, 5 people said that they wouldn't do without cruise control, many more said they had it and like it.

As I said above, for me I just like motorcycles. I have cruise control on my '16RT, but didn't realize that it had it until after I'd traded my Electra Glide, which had only a friction lock. It took some getting used to, but I do appreciate it, mostly due to the partial list of injuries noted on my MRI seen above.

I guess I'll just never "get" the either / or, do it my way or you're wrong attitude some folks have. It used to bug me when I was a Harley rider. Some folks must have some deep-seated need to feel superior.

I guess I'll still smile and wave, whatever you're riding, or however you're doing it.

I wonder about the few that did not want or like cruise, how many have had a motorcycle with it, and what type of riding they do?

Hey ……… each and every one of us have a 'short list' of what we want on a newly purchased motorcycle. Some prefer only a chain / others cruise / others liquid cooling / others, a cc threshold / etc.

Like I posted earlier, if you like cruise, get it. If not, don't.

Didn't really feel any "strong-arm vibe" in this thread.

For me, cruise is so enjoyed and has a safety advantage, I want it on my rides. Had it on all my bikes since 2006.

If that qualifies me as an inexperienced, unsafe, foolhardy, poorly-trained rider, rather than some sort of purist ….. I can both live and ride with that mantle. :dance

And not so long ago, (at least, to my mind :) ) we were buying cars without air, power brakes and windows, heated seats, or cruise. It's interesting how things evolve.

With the advent of throttle by wire, CCs are easy and cheap to design and install so why not have it?
I don't think wanting a CC on a bike absolutely means we wouldn't ride without it.
And that certainly doesn't mean we can't appreciate bikes that don't have it.

What's with this attitude that because I ride this X bike, I'm better than you?

Didn't really feel any "strong-arm vibe" in this thread.

I don't feel any "strong arm vibe" any where. If anything I don't understand why someone would not want cruise. I have been riding for 50 years and I started using throttle locks years back. When electronic cruise was available I was all in! One thing about having cruise control, you don't need to use it!

Some of us can only own one motorcycle - no room for any more than that. With that said, mine will have cruise control.

Having two riders in our household and more than one bike each, don't care either way. I had cruise on my 05RT and used it sparingly, most likely because I grew up riding without it and it wasn't second nature.

The one time I noticed a difference was when H rode the RT back from Big Bend and I was on my 07GSA that we retrieved it after the battery died an early death and we left it down there with local mechanic the week before.I had to work to keep pace with her on I-10. She said it was nice as was the adjustable windscreen...but not enough to replace her 1100 or 1150 at the time. Her R12R has a t-lock and have never heard a complaint
Have ridden with a few folks who change speed with the cruise and rarely touch the throttle...works for them, but seems to be too much work for a simple task... but that's me.

There are enough straight roads to lock it down and as many where it isn't practical. Part of the riding experience for me is throttle control and feedback...If I find myself not keeping a steady pace, maybe a break is needed or I should get my head back into riding 101...that is a safety feature to me.

The two new bikes I purchased prior to retiring were 07 & 09 GS's and the option was not available then. Had it come on the bikes I bought off the showroom I wouldn't have minded. That said, haven't considered not having it a heartbreak.
The two KTM's we have have ABS, but would seem a bit much to have cruise as they are a lot more fun gripping and ripping, not cruising.

The OP has a model it was not an option on and was searching for a workaround. I believe most of us have tried some form of friction device if been riding prior to 2005ish when CC seemed to be the new thing on a motorcycle. Maybe caveman technology to some nowadays, but if you have an older bike a practical solution.

The OP has a model it was not an option on and was searching for a workaround. I believe most of us have tried some form of friction device if been riding prior to 2005ish when CC seemed to be the new thing on a motorcycle. Maybe caveman technology to some nowadays, but if you have an older bike a practical solution.

Yes a very practical solution that I (many of us) used. Then in 1989 when HD started electronic cruise installation first ones had some issues but by second generation, around 1995, they were just fine.

Of the 10 or so street bikes owned the last six have had electronic cruise, one or two of he previous had throttle locks which served the needed purpose. Dirt bikes, of course not. Never owned a dual purpose/adventure bike.

GD

PS: In Norway my cousin has the 280 model air conditioner in his car. 2 windows down, 80 kilometers per hour.

What was the first year for electronic cruise on a BMW?
We had it on our 2003 K1200RSs and 2002 was the first year for cruise on that model.

I'm going to guess the K1200LT was the first.

I really appreciate the CC on my 07RT after a full day of twisties when I need to get back home with couple of hours of slab riding to do.
It's nice to be able to give my right wrist a break.
I would not get a bike without it.

YMMV

I really appreciate the CC on my 07RT after a full day of twisties when I need to get back home with couple of hours of slab riding to do.
It's nice to be able to give my right wrist a break.
I would not get a bike without it.

YMMV

Pansie! :rofl:rofl:rofl

Back