• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cruise control

Who would like to share their experiences with cruise control on a motorcycle. I like good long rides but have run into a couple of limiting factors. I will upgrade my seat (soon), but would find a cruise control really worthwhile to give my right arm a break for those all day rides.

Any suggestions? I enjoy riding on my 2004 R 1150 RT.

Welcome to the forum! Check some of the threads in the Similar Threads below...several of them are in the Oilheads forum which might address some of the issues you're considering.

I have had several bikes with cruise control like a car. My hand goes to sleep pretty easily so I use the cruise a lot. Definitely go with a cruise control vs a throttle lock.

For non cruise control farkles , I found the Atlas Throttle lock to be the best for my 700 GS. Second generation.

I've been using a Wunderlich Throttle Lock on my '04 R1150RT for the last couple of years and like it a lot. That and some Grip Buddies makes long days easy on the hands.

I won't go without cruise. It's saved my countless numbers of performance awards (speeding tickets). I consider it required now, not an option.

I've used throttle locks for years and while they are great on level ground, they need attention units on hills. Going up you slow down, and if you roll on a bit to compensate you need to roll off at the crest of the hill lest you end up like Dave with some performance awards. My new GSA has cruise and I love it!

Pete

I'm very glad that I have cruise on my 2012 RT. I find that it makes even shorter, one hour, rides more comfortable. While not necessary for most folks, I really like being able to relax either arm.

I have no experience with throttle locks, however.

OK. So this is pretty clunky but I did install one on my 2005 FJR (before they offered cruise control) and it worked great. The trickiest bits were mounting the vacuum servo (I put it behind the left saddlebag on the FJR) and the control panel (someone back then offered a nifty machined aluminum mount). Worked perfectly for five years, rain, cold, nothing hurt it and it worked just like a car's cruise-control. Back then it was branded by Audiovox and I bought it at Autozone but I think Murph's the only place to get one these days. If I had a non-cruise equipped motorcycle I would not hesitate one minute to buy and install one.

Would you buy a car without cruise control? I wouldn't...same for a motorcycle.

I have and I would again buy a motorcycle without cruise control. At the places I ride the most a cruise would be less than useful: too many hills and curves, short sight distances, and upshifts and downshifts. If I did a lot of interstate droning I might feel different.

Last edited:
Lack of cruise control is a deal breaker on purchasing a new bike for me. Being able to rest my right hand is critical in long distance rides. I must say the cruise control on the 2018 GS is much more refined than the cruise on my 2015 Triumph. The Triumph cruise will chop throttle on disabling, which can be disturbing if I bump the throttle while it is on. The GS disable is wonderfully gradual.

Throttle locks will work but a factory cruise will maintain speed, which is handy when following cars with cruise set.

Cruise is a a must have on any motorcycle I have other than the one which never goes more than a few miles from home. In the 1970s had throttle locks, then added factory cruise(s) to the, not top end, models I bought, then they all came with it after that.

Gota have cruise even if just going 50 miles up the road. Granted much of where I ride there is no chance for turning the cruise on these days, but when it is on it is very worth it. In the old days of 750 mile days on the slab and secondary roads it was a god send. Butt tiring was not the problem, throttle hand was..............

GD

For around $30 this one does the trick for me. Cheaper ones that are plastic and have no adjuster are not worth having. Not effective and they wear out quick. I have a throttle meister on my RT and when I go on long ride I put my Go Cruise on it because the expensive throttle meister is harder to adjust and use.

Moving the rubber band and the lock over to another bike takes a couple of minutes so you don't need one for every bike. I find riding a motorcycle with cruise control is something I would not use very much since find adjustments are required all the time unless you ride slabs a lot which I avoid like the plague. But on long straight stretches having a throttle lock lets you rest your wrist for a while.

51zOXJKRfnL._SL1000_.jpg

Sure would be nice if the OP came back to his thread and read all the good ideas that have been offered. :dunno

Cruise control a lifesaver in terms of fatigue management, mileage and your ability to focus on hazards around you, rather than the speedometer dial.

Just realize that there's 'cruise control,' and then there's simple throttle locks, which jam the throttle grip at a specific point. While it might hold your speed constant for several minutes on perfectly flat terrain, any slight incline or decline in the road and your speed alters.

No substitute for actual cruise control. Get it! :thumb

Back