• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

If Ever

More like what ever for me. I don't ever see myself on a scooter.
When the time comes, I will just transition myself back to the Miata that waits patiently in the garage.Miatas 4-10-04 005 (2015_06_04 12_50_32 UTC).jpg

Last edited:
I'm only 65, but I'm practicing for old age with my Yamaha TMax scooter. I'm enjoying it, and have found that my long-standing aversion to scooters, probably for male ego reasons, was unfortunate. I'm not sure about extra wheels yet - a Miata sounds good. I told Mrs. beemerphile if I ever showed up on a 3-wheeler that she was guns free to shoot me off of it.

tmax-M.jpg

After watching the review it sounds like a leaning 3 wheel scooter would be better.

After watching the review it sounds like a leaning 3 wheel scooter would be better.

There will be legal issues with a four wheeled scooter. Many states define a motorcycle to include any 3 wheeled vehicle not a farm implement, but apply regular automobile safety standards to any 4 wheeled vehicle for licensing purposes to be street-legal. The seat belts and side air bags could be interesting. :)

There will be legal issues with a four wheeled scooter. Many states define a motorcycle to include any 3 wheeled vehicle not a farm implement, but apply regular automobile safety standards to any 4 wheeled vehicle for licensing purposes to be street-legal. The seat belts and side air bags could be interesting. :)

Some states are still making up their minds and splitting hairs. Would anybody be surprised that NY is one of those states ?? A three wheel Can Am spyder is considered a motorcycle in NY. If you take your DMV test on a three wheeler you can only ride a three wheeler. If you get your endorsement on a two wheeler, you need no additional testing or training to ride a three wheeler, even though they are very different creatures.

Further, in order to be considered a motorcycle, the three wheeler must have fore/aft seating and handlebars. A three wheeler with side by side seating and a steering wheel, like a Slingshot, is considered a car. With the Can Am you need to wear a helmet. No helmet required with the slingshot.

Having a sense of awareness of your surroundings and some degree of skills are apparently optional with either type. That also seems to be the case with two wheelers and unicycles. It is definitely the case with four wheelers. :violin

Friedle

The reviewer stated that the car designation was European. Clearly not so stateside. The US is treating even the large stable platform three wheelers like the Polaris Slingshot as motorcycles. That is their out on things like non-existent crash protection. They seem like a death sentence to me. The only advantage a motorcycle has is collision avoidance. With those things, you don't even have that.

The only advantage a motorcycle has is collision avoidance. With those things, you don't even have that.

It depends upon the situation. A three-wheeled vehicle can often execute lane changes faster than a two-wheeler, for example. I personally tested that when a pickup topper blew off the truck in front of us on the freeway.

But where two-wheelers really shine is in dodging things like potholes, or an object in the road. On two wheels that’s an easy miss. On an asymmetric three-wheeler (sidecar) or a four-wheeler, the obstruction can be dodged or straddled. But with a symmetric three-wheeler like a trike, you own every pothole or piece of road debris that pops up in your path.

Best,
DG

Miata

More like what ever for me. I don't ever see myself on a scooter.
When the time comes, I will just transition myself back to the Miata that waits patiently in the garage.View attachment 71965

Having just moved out to the country among southern MI's best roads, I wanted a fun car for both my wife and I to play around with. I was at a local gas station and a guy pulled in with a new Miata. GORGEOUS car and he offered to let me sit in it.

I looked around for a used one and got the itch for something a bit more fun, remembering the driving experience I had a couple years ago when I got to drive a ZO6 Corvette for a day. Not being able to afford a new one, I shopped around and found my dream car, which now compliments my Airhead and Oilhead in the garage. :)

2000 C5 Vette, convertible, 6 speed with just about every option. LOVE the torque of going through the gears with that wonderful small block roar. Handling is incredible too.

chevrolet-corvette-c5-mk15-pic37694.jpg

Used Corvettes seem to be plentiful and cheep. I know a guy who got one from about the same era for less than what a new R1200R would have cost.

Three-wheelers: Mrs. Veg has no interest in riding her own two-wheeler, but is kinda interested in a Can Am.The Spyder seems a bit much in both cost and complexity but the Ryker might be a good fit. Time will tell.

As for cars to have fun with, I'm working on refurbishing this. With any luck it'll be road-worthy in a few months.
IMG_20151212_170025-XL.jpg

Pick what works for you: two, three, or four wheeler. And if any of the jerks take issue, there is a finger for them.

Back