• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I wasn't expecting this !

Rider59

Quick backstory.
Been posting here as a newbie a little. Looking to make a move to BMW after 25+ years on GoldWings and HD Touring. Been eyeballing the late model 1200 RTs for a long time. Finally got to test a 2015 1200 RT with 14K on the clock today. Enjoyed that bike completely but pondered the "new" seating position after so many years on the V Twins.
After the RT run salesman asks me for honest feedback. Mentioned all the positives along with and my minor concern about seating position, ...... and I wasn't ready to buy an RT.
Gut instinct..... and wasn't totally feeling it. He insisted I take the 1600 B series out. Brand new of course.
WOW. That says it all. Fell in love after 5 miles. The differences between the two platforms allowed the B series seating to fit me much better.
We're dancing a bit on price but confident I'll bring a Grand America home. Whatever reservations I may have had about leaving HD after many years of satisfied operation and ownership are gone. The new Wing platform is not for me either. What the heck, I'm 59. New chapters are great at my age. Post more when I bring one home.
Thanks.....

Last edited:
The new Wing platform is not for me either...

Rider59, I left a Gl1800 a few years ago as the riding position didn’t fit me, otherwise the bike was flawless. The new 1800’s have much better ergonomics for tall riders.
As an ex-GL rider yourself, what was it about the new GWs that you didn’t like?

Rider59, I left a Gl1800 a few years ago as the riding position didn’t fit me, otherwise the bike was flawless. The new 1800’s have much better ergonomics for tall riders.
As an ex-GL rider yourself, what was it about the new GWs that you didn’t like?
Hello OldCamper,
Of course these are strictly personal preferences but it came down to these main points, and other minor items.
1. In making a move from HD, I've had my years on wings and I'm looking for something completely different. The BMW appeals to me here.
2. From the research I've done it appears the rider protection from the elements is superior on the BMW.
3. While the Goldwing is incredibly stable, the BMW is much more nimble for a bike its size, and has slightly more storage space.
4. Available horsepower, and finally a big selling point for former HD guys is the BMW has OEM floorboards!
Thanks

Last edited:
The K1600 is one hell of a bike! My buddy has one and i have ridden it a bit. I seriously considered one last fall, but the R1200RT was talking to me too. I decided to go with the RT because of the lighter weight and not as complex of a motorcycle. I also have a 2016 Harley Limited. some riders have a tough time dealing with the upright/forward leaning seating position on sport touring bikes, especially after coming off a Harley Bagger. I also have a Yamaha R1 so I am accustomed to the leaning forward seating position.

K1600B Grand America

Was following your posts. Was supposed to demo ride a Grand America but was just put in service and not quite ready. I'm interested in what helped make your decision, not talking about $. Not sure what would make me move if I'm happy with the demo ride. Currently have a 2014 GSA and 2015 RT, both fantastic motorcycles. Would look to trade 1 or both in toward Grand America. Owning 3 is to much for me. Most of my riding is touring the East 7-12 day trips and many day trips. [retired] Hopefully demo the bike Saturday depending on weather in central NJ. Comments would be appreciated.

Was following your posts. Was supposed to demo ride a Grand America but was just put in service and not quite ready. I'm interested in what helped make your decision, not talking about $. Not sure what would make me move if I'm happy with the demo ride. Currently have a 2014 GSA and 2015 RT, both fantastic motorcycles. Would look to trade 1 or both in toward Grand America. Owning 3 is to much for me. Most of my riding is touring the East 7-12 day trips and many day trips. [retired] Hopefully demo the bike Saturday depending on weather in central NJ. Comments would be appreciated.

janda, you have to drive one. My perspective is coming from HD/Wings.
Great seating position, absolute gobs of power, very smooth, nimble, good gadgetry (some of which you may already have), luggage space, floorboards, curb appeal. Personally fit me much better than an RT (which I really liked coincidentally).
In summary .... you have to ride one and comment here ..... I was sold.

Oh ..... and a great deal on an '18.

Rider59-
Agree with your points. So far very impressed with luggage capacity as I always over pack. Top case is huge, side cases deep. No doubt more power than I'll ever need as I've become more conservative as I get older. The seating position on my RT is very good. So far the seat position on the Grand America is outstanding. You are correct about the features on the RT similar to GA. We'll see when I demo the bike. About 200# more than the RT. Hence I'll see how nimble it is, I've read that it is amazing. All these bikes are a bit heavy, but over 5 mph it doesn't matter. I'm very aware of the 2018 BMW incentive, makes a huge difference. Obviously you can see I'm selling myself! I'll keep you posted.

This may not matter to you, but did the salesperson mention the Grand America is limited to 101 mph?

Bren Tuning has a cure for that, and so far, the GA owners who've gotten the limiter removed are reporting no instability issues at 120-130, when all decided to throttle down for other reasons.

Back