Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: Getting warmed up for an oil Change

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    2,245

    This winter

    Said same thing last winter

    3044CEB0-5EE8-45F5-817C-52DBA4331E9E.jpeg

  2. #17
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    14,290
    Your going to have to do it again. You didnít use BMW oil
    om
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  3. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    2,245

    Before I Ride Again

    I think itís time for tires I do a lot riding on oil and chip roads with lots of crown

    Front tire right side

    069D6CE6-0666-453A-9CDE-82720451EA9E.jpeg

    Front tire left side

    3B19C051-ACFB-4071-B8D8-F55E5E7E5233.jpeg

    Rear
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    2,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Your going to have to do it again. You didnít use BMW oil
    om
    Will add to list

  5. #20
    Pepperfool GSAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sechelt, British Columbia
    Posts
    3,073
    Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    Will add to list
    While you are at it, chase down that oil leak.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

    Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

  6. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    While you are at it, chase down that oil leak.
    My oil is dark, but not that dark!
    Oh, I just ordered Speigler brake lines, I do hope 12 months from now they are not still in the packaging! My tires are looking brand new, but I only bought my bike with new tires in July....

    179212, I wished you lived closer to me, my garage has a old carpet on the floor, heated, tunes and tv, I'd invite you over for some wrenching... we'd learn about installing Speigler brakelines on your bike! (with a tarp on the floor)

    You made my day!

    Cheers and Merry Christmas!

  7. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    2,245

    Leak

    Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    While you are at it, chase down that oil leak.
    Donít know if I could stand that much fun, when I purchased bike 08/03/2010 bike had set for years ( 27,000 miles now over 80,000 miles ) and most of the gaskets had oil weeps 8 years later no better. I get zero drips on floor bike uses no oil. However you are right I will have insulation on clutch switch and gear indicator wiring fobar soon plus also need to replace hose that comes from cyclone thing.
    Whatís the best way to clean off that oily dirt stuff, large tray under bike and a brush and a bucket of parts cleaner?
    I have a large hot water pressure washer think itís 3 GPM at 3,000 PSI however might be to much tool for the job.

  8. #23
    Pepperfool GSAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sechelt, British Columbia
    Posts
    3,073
    Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    Donít know if I could stand that much fun, when I purchased bike 08/03/2010 bike had set for years ( 27,000 miles now over 80,000 miles ) and most of the gaskets had oil weeps 8 years later no better. I get zero drips on floor bike uses no oil. However you are right I will have insulation on clutch switch and gear indicator wiring fobar soon plus also need to replace hose that comes from cyclone thing.
    Whatís the best way to clean off that oily dirt stuff, large tray under bike and a brush and a bucket of parts cleaner?
    I have a large hot water pressure washer think itís 3 GPM at 3,000 PSI however might be to much tool for the job.
    Spray down with parts cleaner. Wait an hour or so, lightly pressure wash.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

    Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

  9. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    2,245

    Learning

    Quote Originally Posted by cam_on_van_isle View Post
    My oil is dark, but not that dark!
    Oh, I just ordered Speigler brake lines, I do hope 12 months from now they are not still in the packaging! My tires are looking brand new, but I only bought my bike with new tires in July....

    179212, I wished you lived closer to me, my garage has a old carpet on the floor, heated, tunes and tv, I'd invite you over for some wrenching... we'd learn about installing Speigler brakelines on your bike! (with a tarp on the floor)

    You made my day!

    Cheers and Merry Christmas!
    What part of the world are you in? The more the merrier on jobs like these.

    Old oil

    0FA4E748-A4BF-4502-9DCA-75DDF87FCCFC.jpg

    Oil that went in

    15AF0EAA-2DA3-43D7-9E57-EC86E1B70051.jpeg

    Better picture of sight gauge ( after new filter and 4 quarts of oil added bike started and ran than set several hours )

    1EFA8706-95B1-459B-BB45-1438E2B37E3E.jpeg

  10. #25
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    14,290
    Oil is supposed to get dirty as it takes contaminates to the filter.......last I knew.
    BTW, nice job on the pictures.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  11. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    2,245

    Oil

    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Oil is supposed to get dirty as it takes contaminates to the filter.......last I knew.
    BTW, nice job on the pictures.
    OM
    Only about 3,500 on this oil change thin layer in pan makes it look better
    Obviously did not ride enough this year this is the change oil Every 6,000 miles or once a year

  12. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    Only about 3,500 on this oil change thin layer in pan makes it look better
    Obviously did not ride enough this year this is the change oil Every 6,000 miles or once a year
    I just bought my first motorcycle in 30 years in July, changed the oil once at 5000 kms. ago, about 3000 miles, put in Lucas 20/50 (I don't want to start a oil rage thread).

    Thing is, I am expecting a delivery of new brakelines, and I live in Ladysmith on Vancouver Island, I am mechanically inclined, I have my valve clearances and throttle body sync on the money, but anyone on the Island who wants to spend some time wrenching in a comfortable environment, pm me, would be nice to have some experience on oilheads as a guest at my house.

  13. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    2,245

    Notoil

    Quote Originally Posted by cam_on_van_isle View Post
    I just bought my first motorcycle in 30 years in July, changed the oil once at 5000 kms. ago, about 3000 miles, put in Lucas 20/50 (I don't want to start a oil rage thread).

    Thing is, I am expecting a delivery of new brakelines, and I live in Ladysmith on Vancouver Island, I am mechanically inclined, I have my valve clearances and throttle body sync on the money, but anyone on the Island who wants to spend some time wrenching in a comfortable environment, pm me, would be nice to have some experience on oilheads as a guest at my house.
    Heck you are only 2,300 miles away,
    Like Harry Potter did not want to say the name of the dark one so I posted a picture, also useful for my records so I will know what I put in and how much, got a picture of the mileage also.

  14. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    Heck you are only 2,300 miles away,
    Like Harry Potter did not want to say the name of the dark one so I posted a picture, also useful for my records so I will know what I put in and how much, got a picture of the mileage also.
    Well, if you are ever in the neighborhood, come on by, the light will be on, and you can feel at home.

Similar Threads

  1. Loud clatter/ chatter when warmed up 1975 R90/6
    By bikertucker in forum Airheads
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 06-03-2018, 03:00 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-05-2017, 05:05 PM
  3. Advice on 94 K1100 handle bar change and fairing change.
    By snorton140753 in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-09-2015, 12:18 AM
  4. Final drive change - warmed up or not?
    By hjsbmw in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-17-2011, 05:08 PM
  5. trying to change change clutch fluid
    By JackGeurkink in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-05-2010, 06:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •