• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Getting warmed up for an oil Change

Supposed to be mostly sunny with temperatures in the fifties tomorrow, we just had over a inch of rain Thursday and Friday so the salt should be off the roads, it’s the middle of December so do you think a 100 mile ride will be long enough to warm bike up fo a oil change?

Surely 100 is fine; but what bothers me seriously the most is kicking up all that salt dust and grime that has been used on the roads up there in the last few weeks. Dont know how to do it; but run in the shop, change the oils, then kick in the pressure washer for the "touch up" washing of the underside……….God bless....Dennis

Supposed to be mostly sunny with temperatures in the fifties tomorrow, we just had over a inch of rain Thursday and Friday so the salt should be off the roads, it’s the middle of December so do you think a 100 mile ride will be long enough to warm bike up fo a oil change?
I think you will enjoy it as well :)
Going to add some to your title as it will help others with the same question.
OM

Salt

Surely 100 is fine; but what bothers me seriously the most is kicking up all that salt dust and grime that has been used on the roads up there in the last few weeks. Dont know how to do it; but run in the shop, change the oils, then kick in the pressure washer for the "touch up" washing of the underside……….God bless....Dennis

I hope the 2 days of rain will help clear salt off the roads.
Postponed ride until Monday will be 10 degrees cooler but we had to put up Christmas tree today and decorate it.

image.jpg

Sorry about apple rotation but you get the idea

I'd like to change my oil as well, but I'm not insured, so idling in the driveway is an option, but its easy to overheat the engine.
I'll probably do it this winter, my oil is looking really dark from last summer, and I'll do a quicker change in the Spring after riding for a couple of weeks.

I'd like to change my oil as well, but I'm not insured, so idling in the driveway is an option, but its easy to overheat the engine.
I'll probably do it this winter, my oil is looking really dark from last summer, and I'll do a quicker change in the Spring after riding for a couple of weeks.

You are better off doing a cold oil change (there are many who do it cold and swear by it) than leaving high mileage old oil which has combustion acids and other contaminants in it over the winter. Allow to drain overnight.
Always put your equipment away with fresh oil in it.

You are better off doing a cold oil change (there are many who do it cold and swear by it) than leaving high mileage old oil which has combustion acids and other contaminants in it over the winter. Allow to drain overnight.
Always put your equipment away with fresh oil in it.

I agree.....

Your engine has had a few days to cool down and all the oil that can get into the oil pan is already there..........

Keith

Change is Done

Bike

91E6F3DA-D3B9-4987-89C0-7F142498DBC4.jpeg

Oil

848D8A5C-793A-444D-804C-5BFD7FC5D966.jpeg

Oil level

5A11136F-061D-49A4-97A6-B7696C85532D.jpeg

Rode 143.6 miles to warm up bike, did not need to plug in heated vest, weather sunny temp went from 39 to about 50 degrees Fahrenheit

Before I Ride Again

I think it’s time for tires I do a lot riding on oil and chip roads with lots of crown

Front tire right side

069D6CE6-0666-453A-9CDE-82720451EA9E.jpeg

Front tire left side

3B19C051-ACFB-4071-B8D8-F55E5E7E5233.jpeg

Rear

Attachments

• 08F7AD34-8452-4AF1-B6A6-FC55CC80C1BA.jpeg
    08F7AD34-8452-4AF1-B6A6-FC55CC80C1BA.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 69
Back