• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW, can I expect better than this?

People trading brands.

If you were to do a survey of how many people go from Harley to BMW and how many go from BMW to Harley you will get your answers.

I'm an early adapter buying a 2002R1150RT and 2014R1200RT both the first bike hitting the USA. The only major problem I had with the 02, the slave cylinder went out (I was within 20 miles of home, made it, repaired with a bud). The finial drive wasn't shim correctly I paid for re repair (Tom Cutter) before it failed, loved the bike sold it at 75k. My 14 has been a wonderful trouble free bike wouldn't think twice about buying another. The bike has over 32k, mostly trips of 1,500 to 2,500 sMiles each.

Jay

Funny!
For a while I was so disgusted with my (then new) .....Most importantly, were the RT's included in the Telever recall?

There was no telelever recall. Maybe you're thinking of the recall involving the fork tubes? If so, it was only on the wethead GS and GSA.

Rider. 59 I had the same expectations too, even after being a BMW high mileage rider and long time owner. Bought a used 14 RT and due to no fault of the PO or me was presented with a +$1500 repair bill during the third month of ownership. Internal engine problems! Sure the network of riders are great people but I have found no guarantees of a great German product. My years of riding a getting limited so hope I don't spend more downtime and $ as in 2018. good luck!

Sorry to hear, but $1,500 for an internal engine problem - sounds like you got off cheap.

There was no telelever recall. Maybe you're thinking of the recall involving the fork tubes? If so, it was only on the wethead GS and GSA.

The 2014 debacle, RT rear strut issue, with it's DO NOT RIDE NOTICE from BMW, was certainly a very big problem pretty much that entire summer. BMW did buy mine back, but they couldn't replace the missed easy mindset riding time.

An excellent point.
From my perspective I'm experienced in the ways of the Wings initially and later became quite familiar with the problems at HD. When an issue arises, I'm aware and understand the significance of the problem, or the lack of it. I've done a lot of my own wrenching.
Here, I'm in the dark, a babe in the woods, cannon fodder. By challenging some of you to share your successes and disappointments with the brand, I learn.
Selfish of me I know, yet I've learned something from almost every poster. I'm grateful for that. I want to hear about the owner that has 30K, 60K and 100K of relatively trouble free operation. As an avid rider and older guy, I won't make a decision lightly. BTW, riding a clean, used '15 RT Saturday on a test run, and looking forward to it!

I bought new and have put 28k on my 2017 RT. Not even a hint of trouble. 27k in 2 years on my 2011 RT before without a problem. YMMV, but I’ve been nothing but pleased!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2014 debacle, RT rear strut issue, with it's DO NOT RIDE NOTICE from BMW, was certainly a very big problem pretty much that entire summer. BMW did buy mine back, but they couldn't replace the missed easy mindset riding time.

I forgot about the strut. This wasn't a BMW made part the supplier, others can chime in but I recall the supplier didn't make the strut to BMW spec. BMW made good on this, buying back bikes at full price (out the door cost) or paying $2500 plus extend the warranty by 6 months. I think they had a 3rd option too I don't remember the details. I guess it all worked out hell I forgot about the whole thing... I had a V-Strom 650 and my 02R1150RT to ride that help ease the problem for me.

Jay

Nothing's perfect, and not expecting perfection by accepting some risk but I prefer to think one could purchase a later model 1200 RT and have a relatively trouble-free experience with reasonable care and maintenance.

I have a '16 RT I bought new and now has 37K trouble-free miles w/ one brief period of a problem w/ TPMS not displaying consistently for about 10 days after tires were changed out. From everything I gather reading on the various forums and talking w/ the local shop these bikes are as trouble-free as anything out there ultimately. The 2014+ RTs are best in class if what you want is a very competent touring machine that rides thru the twisties as hard as your willing, with perfect balance and handling...especially after installing a set of Conti RoadAttack 3 GT tires. Sorry, couldn't resist :dance :wave

no problems here

Hi Rider59, I have 146,098 sMiles on my 2015 RT. No,NO problems! This is my 7th BMW and the best ,most reliable one of them all.Even my 2006 RT was and still is dependable. That one has 121,000 .Still on the original fuel strip.Front driveshaft yoke broke at 99,989 miles . The final drive went at 113,000 miles. I want a new shift cam RT someday but will not get one until the 2015 has at least 200k on it. Do not hesitate to by a late model boxer.I'm sure there are some great deals to be had on new in stock 2018's

Update:
45* in Minnesota today allowed us a rare opportunity to December test ride some bikes with the local dealers blessing. Been highly anticipating an 1200 RT test ride of a later model and I rode a clean 2015 with 14K on the clock. You can't really compare the HD product and the BMW as they are 2 different animals. (You already know that, I just experienced it). There wasn't much I didn't like about the RT. The biggest challenge is getting used to a different seating position after years on a HD. Mentioned this to the salesman post-ride...... and he insisted I take a new K model out. Being a good "consumer", I complied even though I haven't paid much attention at all to the K series.
Hey, I'm 59 years old. I was quite impressed by the RT....... but fell in love with the K 1600 B.
I'm going to have to leave the Wetheads threads and jump over to the Straight 6 threads. Close to a purchase and looks like a Grand America - but still doing a $$ dance with the salesman.
Was great getting double takes from Minnesota folk in cars as I'm cruising down the dry streets, when there's snow on the ground everywhere else.
Thanks all .....

Last edited:
I have a 2016 R1200RT with 85,500 miles. I did have a driveshaft failure at 29,000 miles. Covered under warranty. It is a great motorcycle.

I bought my first BMW when I was 18 , am 62 now and have owned 5 boxers. I have had no significant issues in all those years. No machine is flawless, but the stories you've read I suspect are the anomalies.

I certainly appreciate everyone's input to the thread. I've come around about 180 degrees since authoring the original post. Look around forums related to other motorcycle brands and one unfortunate consistency seen throughout is the problems and hiccups generally get center stage. It's great to hear the success stories here, and planning to join the BMW owner ranks soon.

I didn't read all the posts, but as a shade tree mechanic I wish to add a lot of mechanical issues are developed by how someone rides their bike.

Ride like Evil Knevel? Yes, you'll have suspension issues.

Ride like Dale Earnheart? Yes, your brakes will wear out in 5-7k miles. (Ask me how I know.)

Don't change the oil on time or run the bike low too often? Yes, you're going to have engine/transmission issues.

Obviously all these things can & do apply to any bike mfgr or model. While I don't ride like a demon on my 1200RT, I do enjoy making good speed. I also change my oil and don't abuse the bike.

In short, buy a BMW, ride the heck out of it & enjoy it!

My .o2

I bought a 1200rt 09 last Aug to see if I could still ride a bike, had not in 30 years, wings and other bikes before back in the early 70's and learned to work, rebuild and customize some. I bought the rt from a Honda dealer in south Tx where I live and the sales man told me all was good with the bike, it was delivered. The last beemer I had was a 75 r90, this was so drastically different, yes, I had seen the pics of it. Next day after finding the manual I found out how to lower the seat, I'm 5'9" and on tip toe's then. I figured out quick I could not afford a new custom much lower seat so I pulled the seat off and tore the bottom a part, yes I have put much of it back together, but I want to be flat footed when riding, it not I do not ride. The next day I relearned how to ride the bike and headed out to the open road. Ok you say, well it was a damn big deal for me, I had to go onto disability at 50 because of some really bad car accidents that messed my back up pretty bad and I didn't know if I could still ride, I found to my great delight that I could and after a couple days I thought I'd check the oil and other fluids. WOW, the oil was a bit low, there almost was no brake fluid and the battery only lasted three months. I corrected it all, I do need to change the final drive oil and adjust the valves when it warms up a bit. I'm cold natured, most don't know what that means, my body temp is one degree cooler than many others so I use a leather jacket when it's in the low 60's, leather pants in the mid to upper 50's and never ridden in colder but could I think. I ride every day I can, some weeks I ride every day it doesn't rain, don't have any rain gear but applied good mink oil to all my leathers and it has worked well, I've been caught in a few small rain and sprinkle storms. Buy something you think you'll be happy with and get out and ride mate, have fun.

BMW Reliability

I had 36,325 miles on my 2009 BMW K1300S with zero issues. Technically, the TPS went out on it but that was simply the batteries inside the transmitters finally wearing out after nine years. Not bad and I hope my new 2019 BMW R1250GS is as reliable and as much fine as this bike was.

Kent

Great responses from multiple riders. Much appreciated. After good research, I did purchase a K1600 GA in December, which now sits in my garage with exactly 41 miles on it, waiting for spring.......

Congrats! Spring will be here soon! 2 months of trouble free ownership :). Let the streak continue for years to come.

Back