• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW, can I expect better than this?

Rider59

In my new member intro I explained the desire to join in with BMW after 25 years of Wing and HD touring machines. Currently looking carefully at R1200 RTs of 2014 and newer vintage.
In the last 2 weeks I've read evidence of electrical gremlins, failed fuel pumps and fuel sensors, stripped splines and broken driveshafts/drivelines, and leaking suspension. Now I'm nervous after (maybe luckily) having relatively trouble free riding on other brands for years.
I was looking forward to a switch but now unsure. If these maladies are part of the BMW ownership experience, I get it however would just as soon learn about it now. Nothing's perfect, and not expecting perfection by accepting some risk but I prefer to think one could purchase a later model 1200 RT and have a relatively trouble-free experience with reasonable care and maintenance. Plus, I'm out-state and 135 miles to the nearest dealer.
Age 59, and all highway miles so overall use would be moderate and paced. Please share any thoughts on this related to late model RT ownership experience. Thank you -

Last edited:
IMO it's a case of you only hear from those having issues whereas the vast majority of happy customers are out riding and enjoying their bikes. I wouldn't dwell on the "pants-on-fire" discussions and just get to know the bike and take if from there. :wave

You have touched on a few issues that were in previous models to the wetheads (2014 and newer) I have a 2016 r1200rt and have had zero problems in 28,000 miles. I think you will find very few problems with 2014 and newer watercooled bikes.

Hi Rider59 - I know you'll get some interesting responses to your post. It's also a good thing that you've waded into the forum early. I think it might be helpful to some of us to know where you're located generally.

FWIW, I've had 3 BMW motorcycles: 1) Age 19-21 R69S, 2) Age 65-71 2008 R1200RT, 3) Age 72-? 2015 R1200RT. I'm mostly a long-distance tourer. The only one of these three with which I've had any problems was the 2008 RT. I am one of those riders who had the fuel-strip problem, and had to replace the final drive. I put 50K miles on that RT, and the first and only fuel strip for me was at about 20K. The final drive failed at 32K.

Age has dimmed my recall of problems with the R69S, and in 30K miles on the 2015 RT, I've had zero mechanical issues. I think my biggest problem was learning to replace the low-beam headlight bulb which seems to go out annually in April as I'm heading off for a trip.

Many people will tell you about how the OEM seat is not friendly. I replaced that seat on both of my RTs. I chose Russell Day-Long, but there are many good alternatives. Some replace windshields to get more or less wind. What BMW now seems to call "infotainment" systems are a little odd on the motorcycles and downright weird on BMW cars.

Anyway, be optimistic, get the best deal you can, maintain the bike well. You'll have fun. Welcome to the BMW Motorrad adventure and the BMW MOA. Most important: Join your local BMW MOA Chartered Club and attend meetings.

Your stated areas of concern all were found on prior model years (prior to 2014). They all qualified for repaired under warranty. In the case of fuel sensor it was used from '05 to '10, a strip used to determine fuel level. Not all, but quite a few failed, which caused BMW to establish a 12 year warranty. Strip was dropped during 2010 model year (I believe).

The Wetheads, other than the 2014 model year rear strut debacle (all of which were fixed free of cost), seem to be doing well. I wouldn't hesitate to buy....bought an '18 couple of weeks ago. This current crop of RT's seem to be on the same level of "confidence inspiring" as their competition.

Thank you Kurt, Tim and John.
All comments appreciated so please continue.

Last edited:
My 2012 RT was rearended and totaled before it could develop any problems. My 2015 RT was trouble free for 32,000 miles. 2016 GSA had been trouble free for 98,000 miles. Then my final drive seal started weeping. I may have lost as much as one entire drop over 500 miles. Even though it didn't leave me stranded and a dealer fixed me up the same day I brought it in, I'm ready to set the bike on fire and never buy another BMW.

Your stated areas of concern all were found on prior model years (prior to 2014). They all qualified for repaired under warranty. In the case of fuel sensor it was used from '05 to '10, a strip used to determine fuel level. Not all, but quite a few failed, which caused BMW to establish a 12 year warranty. Strip was dropped during 2010 model year (I believe).

The Wetheads, other than the 2014 model year rear strut debacle (all of which were fixed free of cost), seem to be doing well. I wouldn't hesitate to buy....bought an '18 couple of weeks ago. This current crop of RT's seem to be on the same level of "confidence inspiring" as their competition.
Thanks for the feedback!

My 2012 RT was rearended and totaled before it could develop any problems. My 2015 RT was trouble free for 32,000 miles. 2016 GSA had been trouble free for 98,000 miles. Then my final drive seal started weeping. I may have lost as much as one entire drop over 500 miles. Even though it didn't leave me stranded and a dealer fixed me up the same day I brought it in, I'm ready to set the bike on fire and never buy another BMW.

I'll chalk this one up under the "satisfied customer" column. Thanks

Last edited:
I'm ready to set the bike on fire.

Funny!
For a while I was so disgusted with my (then new) DOHC R1200's oil consumption and poor running that I mused about doing exactly that if it ever quit while out on the road. Thankfully the problems were eventually resolved but no thanks to BMW tech support, which was almost worse than no help at all. "It burns oil? Never heard of that problem before! How did you break it in? What kind of oil did you use?"

To the OP: You will probably need a $400 GS-911 to reset the oil change reminder if nothing else. If the bike vibrates the cams may need re-alignment, another $250-$300. The maintenance schedule for an RT is far more frequent than the 36,000 interval on the GoldWing. Mileage tires are harder to find. Most importantly, were the RT's included in the Telever recall?

You may find the RT is simply more fun to ride than the GW or Harley. The social side of riding a BMW is a bit different as well and may be more rewarding depending on your expectations.

I have a GS-911WIFI and recommend getting one, but for around $100 you can use the Moto Scan app on a smart phone. You will need to buy a cable and adapter. Search for it on ADVRider or https://www.r1200gs.info for the details.

If you have a trusted friend with a BMW, then you can share a 911. You will not use it very often.

I think if you read forums for other brands you'll find the same general noise-level issues are there as well. Not to disparage any one particular brand I think you'll find some filled with horror stories and others with only a few.

All the classes of problems you mentioned occurred over three different generations of RT so most, if not all, are pretty much gone. I have a 2013 that's been completely trouble free for me and suffers from none of the problems you mentioned. As with most any brand, I would avoid the earlier versions of each generation, mine is the last of the Camhead years for example. I would not hesitate for a second to buy a 2016-2018 Wethead. Even the new 2019 only have some minor changes (new shift cam and it's actuator) but is otherwise essentially identical to the 2014-2018 models. Even that new cam actuator is hanging right there where you can easily get to it so if it ever does fail at least you won't have to tear the bike apart to get at it.

Just go for it and, like was previously mentioned, keep in mind that for every one complaint you read there are 30,000 others that are running without issue.

In my new member intro I explained the desire to join in with BMW after 35 years of Wing and HD touring machines. Currently looking carefully at R1200 RTs of 2014 and newer vintage.
In the last 2 weeks I've read evidence of electrical gremlins, failed fuel pumps and fuel sensors, stripped splines and broken driveshafts/drivelines, and leaking suspension. Now I'm nervous after (maybe luckily) having relatively trouble free riding on other brands for years.
I was looking forward to a switch but now unsure. If these maladies are part of the BMW ownership experience, I get it however would just as soon learn about it now. Nothing's perfect, and not expecting perfection by accepting some risk but I prefer to think one could purchase a later model 1200 RT and have a relatively trouble-free experience with reasonable care and maintenance. Plus, I'm out-state and 135 miles to the nearest dealer.
Age 59, and all highway miles so overall use would be moderate and paced. Please share any thoughts on this related to late model RT ownership experience. Thank you -

I have owned three RTs: 04RT fuel pump fail at 53K miles ,no other problems traded in with 107K miles on it , 14RT one bearing in front universal joint on driveshaft failed no other problems , traded in with 108K miles on it , my current ride is an 18RT which I bought on 6-30-18 now with 14K+ miles no issues to date. Beemers aren't perfect and neither is any other bike. I rode Harleys for forty years before buying my first BMW in 2010,I now have well over 200K+ miles on Beemers and couldn't be happier. If you are looking to put on some serious miles you cant beat an RT!

When one person has an issue it quickly becomes internet drama, but when 100 peeps are happy, one rarely hears about that. Just go out and enjoy the ride and welcome to the Forum..:wave

I have owned 4 BMWs ....2 K1200LTs and 2 R1200Rts

I have a total of 487,000 miles on the 4 of them. I do my own maintenance and neither of my RTs have ever been in a shop I sold the 2008 RT with 176,000 miles on it and it is still going strong for the new owner. My 2017 RT now has 76,500 miles on it and zero problems with it either. The only problem I had was with the 2003 K1200LT. It had a rear drive failure at 143,000 miles. I too came off of Goldwings (3 of them) and had many more issues with them.

Hope that helps,

Ron

Most importantly, were the RT's included in the Telever recall?

I believe this was a GS and GSA only recall. IIRC The only noteworthy recall on the wethead RT was the rear suspension on the '14.
I have 61,000 km on my '16 RT, no issues whatsoever to report.

ZERO problems on my 15RT, kinda low mileage at 12K, my 12 1600 after 25,000 miles only one problem with left side switch gear, fixed in a hour under warranty
I’d buy another

I'm on my 5th RT. All have been good bikes EXCEPT for my 2006 -- which was a disaster, a total bomb that cost me thousands of dollars and many headaches. I almost swore off BMW because of that bike (and because BMW motorrad would offer NO goodwill help 3 months out of warranty), but my flawless 2013 and my current fantastic 2016 made up for it. That said, I'll never own a BMW without a warranty or extended service contract. ;)

I wonder if any problems were reported on Harley forums in the past four years...

Naaahhhhh.........:brad

An excellent point.
From my perspective I'm experienced in the ways of the Wings initially and later became quite familiar with the problems at HD. When an issue arises, I'm aware and understand the significance of the problem, or the lack of it. I've done a lot of my own wrenching.
Here, I'm in the dark, a babe in the woods, cannon fodder. By challenging some of you to share your successes and disappointments with the brand, I learn.
Selfish of me I know, yet I've learned something from almost every poster. I'm grateful for that. I want to hear about the owner that has 30K, 60K and 100K of relatively trouble free operation. As an avid rider and older guy, I won't make a decision lightly. BTW, riding a clean, used '15 RT Saturday on a test run, and looking forward to it!

Back