• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F850GS recall #2

Oh the drama :rolleyes

BMW have just issued a recall for a F 850 GS in the United States. Yes, you read that right — “a” F 850 GS. Just the one.
OM

Oh the drama :rolleyes

BMW have just issued a recall for a F 850 GS in the United States. Yes, you read that right — “a” F 850 GS. Just the one.
OM

I wonder why they needed a formal recall to fix ONE bike that has not yet been sold. Surely they know where to find it?

Seat

Makes me want to ask...what's recall #1? :dunno

I just had my first service done on f850 2019. They repleaced the rear plastic where the seat locks in for a recall. Not sure if that was 1 or 2 but it’s all my bike needed as far as recalls go.

Because no dealer or end customer had one yet for oil pump concern...in USA?

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/bmw-motorrad-recalls-f-750-gs-f-850-gs-in-europe-1907854

The NDTV Car and Bike article makes it quite apparent that the issue was identified during production and limited to a specific batch.
Apparently, only a small batch of bikes received a faulty part, and this batch has been identified before the majority of the bikes were despatched to the BMW network. The affected bikes were identified and delivery to customers is also not affected. According to the spokesperson, only three potentially affected bikes could have been with customers and these also have been identified and rectified before the bikes were handed over to customers.

This is basically the same situation that has occurred for the con-rod issue except that it is infatisimally smaller with only two bikes outside the factory having been found to have the issue. One in the press fleet in Spain and one in a US Dealer's stock.

Contrary to all the doom-n-gloom posts in ADV Rider, etc., this should be seen as good quality control where issues (inevitable in virtually every new model) are identified very early on and addressed. All such recalls are concerning, especially when they deal with potential engine failure or crashes, etc., but, to my way of thinking, BMW have handled this far better than they did with the old boxer final-drive issues, etc., etc. It is nice to see an improvement on this even if it has slowed down full release of the bike.

Back