Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: YouTube 12000Mile/20000Km RTW Service Video Series

drive shaft splines

what is the scheduled amount of miles between drive shaft spline lubes.In the video i noticed he didn't do the front splines.Do they ever need to be lubed?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbem View Post
    what is the scheduled amount of miles between drive shaft spline lubes.In the video i noticed he didn't do the front splines.Do they ever need to be lubed?
    The spline lube is not called out for service by BMW on ANY LC motors. It is from past years where this comes from where the splins were not robust enough and without lube would wear out pretty quickly.

JVB and others before him have shown and incorporated it into maintenance from experience.

It is particularly important to GS/GSA who do water crossings and such. Seems the boot is a curse in that it helps hold moisture.

You can do the top but beware it is even more of a pain as it has a cir clip that must be snapped into place. If you look here:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/r1200...orial.1129815/ you will find 40 some pages of spline lube experience including mine.

I have done the lower at 6K and at 24K I will remove the drive shaft and do the top.

The tip of using a flexible wire works very nice to get the lower into place.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

I have never used a wire to get the drive shaft aligned. I just use my fingers. The wire method does seem to work well! For the boot seal, I just use marine grease rather than the very expensive BMW spec'd stuff. Yeah, it doesn't look as sexy, but it is made to work in wet situations and should keep most water out.

I would add a note to the video content. Bolts that have locking compound applied will remove a lot easier if you apply some heat. Once removed you either need to replace the bolt or clean it with a wire brush and then reapply locking compound. The engineers specified locking compound for a reason!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Quote Originally Posted by azgman View Post
    I have never used a wire to get the drive shaft aligned. I just use my fingers. The wire method does seem to work well! For the boot seal, I just use marine grease rather than the very expensive BMW spec'd stuff. Yeah, it doesn't look as sexy, but it is made to work in wet situations and should keep most water out.

I would add a note to the video content. Bolts that have locking compound applied will remove a lot easier if you apply some heat. Once removed you either need to replace the bolt or clean it with a wire brush and then reapply locking compound. The engineers specified locking compound for a reason!
    The use of the wire is just another technique, I'm glad your method works.
    I too am currently using a waterproof grease very common with off road motorcycles on my own accordion boot seals...I think it will work well and lots less expensive than what's specified there. I'm looking forward to the end of next season time frame service to see how each one handles water intrusion.

You are right about adding heat to loosen up locking compound on threads that are not close to other things like rubber or wires...some need over 300deg F, so I really would be careful around the brake pin sleeve boots and such. As you are well aware, BMW refers to bolts that are "one time use" as micro-encapsulated. I had a good discussion with an engineer that works for Nylok over Christmas, and they supply what could be used on our bolts to hold on the rotors, Paralever arm bolts, etc.
    https://nylok.com/precote-85-better-...nsion-adhesive
    You are also correct that bolts that call for thread locker should be cleaned prior to adding additional adhesive it not being replaced, thanks for pointing that out.

Good point about the use of heat on the brake caliper bolts... that would be no bueno!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Valve Shim Kits

BoxFlyer, would you please tell us which Valve Shim kit you use or recommend and what the correct diameter of the shims would be.

By the way, I found your videos very well done and an excellent learning tool for the Waterboxer. Thank you very much !!!!!

Ron

Hi Ron,
    Here’s the link to the 8.90mm diameter shim kit.
    https://tinyurl.com/y6vep5ll
    There are links to every tool I used in the videos in the description of the Part 1 video, other forms and worksheets as well.

Glad you liked them and hope it helps.

Netric Shims

Great video's Thank you. I'm curious as to where you got your metric shims ?Can you let me know. Thanks
    David Nicholls
    Teulon Manitoba - Canada

2015 R1200GSA-LC

The link in post #22, above is still the correct link.