• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

YouTube 12000Mile/20000Km RTW Service Video Series

Boxflyer

I thought this might be worth posting up for the group if anyone is considering undertaking the scheduled maintenance on their own bike. (Wethead)
We filmed this over 2 days in October at the end of the riding season up North. I had my ridding buddy (Chris on the Street) on the camera, while I spun the wrenches.
Its long! which was our intention. Many folks may have already done this service, but some may prefer to let the dealership do it. We followed the service schedule sheet pretty much, plus some added checks and observations along the way. (I hope to do a follow-up video soon with all the minor points).
I've done this service 6 times on the Wethead and maybe 20 times on Hex/Cam Heads, so I hope that you enjoy watching the series.

Boxflyer

Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0UhPhg5MvI
Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPmjQadkIXc
Part 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzNDG49O5Ac
Part 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwNqVPdsSw0
Part 5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7gd30UXxUo
Part 6 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHLkIZmMUc0

Last edited:
Nicely done with lots of attention to detail. I can never get away with wearing a light colored shirt when working on a motorcycle; this was most impressive!! :)

I didn't watch the entire video of Part 1, but I seemed to have missed the part where one "uses a big assed hammer"............ :rofl

every 12?

Nice. Just looked at a few minutes and it seems perfect. Would this service be EVERY 12K? ie 12-24-36...Just had my 12K done and actually looking forward to tackling my next service (18) and those thereafter!

Also, anyone have any idea where online he found those shop aid diagrams for holding the screws? (2016 R1200RT...)

Last edited:
Nice. Just looked at a few minutes and it seems perfect. Would this service be EVERY 12K? ie 12-24-36...Just had my 12K done and actually looking forward to tackling my next service (18) and those thereafter!

Yes, every 12k(miles)/20k(kilometers). The 6K Service skips several things, like FD service, air filter and plug change, brake fluids, and valve work.

You also need to sequence in the calendar based events that mostly concern brake fluid, as well as engine and FD fluid regardless of mileage.

You can review and print out every combination of mileage and age (12k, or 12k+annual) from sites like A&S Cycles but always refer to your Owners Manual included with your bike.

Thanks

One of the best how to videos I’ve seen. Clear instructions, good video quality, with and without special tools, great job

Boxflyer et al

Thanks for doing this, much appreciated.

What a fabulous resource :)

Hi Mike,

I am still working on at least 1 more follow-up video to clean up all the details of what I missed in the first series of 6...

Mostly what I need to cover is the front wheel extra inspection/service things I do...like simply filming the removal and replacement, but also in depth cleaning and lube of the brakes.

I'm then going to make another video of all of the modifications and "farkle" add-ons that are on my bike. Chris on the Street did one on his channel back in 2017 after we rode together, but I really need to add more commentary about why I did things, or what some of the choices are...because my choices are not the only way to do things!

If there are other areas of interest that you would like to see documented, please PM me and we can take it "off line" so this thread doesn't get completely derailed as so often happens.

I'm also trying to put together 3 or 4 dates and locations for 2019 to conduct this complete 12k/20k Service Tech Day. Let me know via PM if you are interested in helping host one of these sessions on in your area.

Thanks, Brad

Thanks very much for all of the work you put into these and posted for any and all to learn from. I've been doing my own servicing using the JVB videos, which I am also a fan of. Yours have provided me more info that I will incorporate into my next 12K.

drive shaft splines

what is the scheduled amount of miles between drive shaft spline lubes.In the video i noticed he didn't do the front splines.Do they ever need to be lubed?

I have never used a wire to get the drive shaft aligned. I just use my fingers. The wire method does seem to work well! For the boot seal, I just use marine grease rather than the very expensive BMW spec'd stuff. Yeah, it doesn't look as sexy, but it is made to work in wet situations and should keep most water out.

I would add a note to the video content. Bolts that have locking compound applied will remove a lot easier if you apply some heat. Once removed you either need to replace the bolt or clean it with a wire brush and then reapply locking compound. The engineers specified locking compound for a reason!

I have never used a wire to get the drive shaft aligned. I just use my fingers. The wire method does seem to work well! For the boot seal, I just use marine grease rather than the very expensive BMW spec'd stuff. Yeah, it doesn't look as sexy, but it is made to work in wet situations and should keep most water out.

I would add a note to the video content. Bolts that have locking compound applied will remove a lot easier if you apply some heat. Once removed you either need to replace the bolt or clean it with a wire brush and then reapply locking compound. The engineers specified locking compound for a reason!

The use of the wire is just another technique, I'm glad your method works.
I too am currently using a waterproof grease very common with off road motorcycles on my own accordion boot seals...I think it will work well and lots less expensive than what's specified there. I'm looking forward to the end of next season time frame service to see how each one handles water intrusion.

You are right about adding heat to loosen up locking compound on threads that are not close to other things like rubber or wires...some need over 300deg F, so I really would be careful around the brake pin sleeve boots and such. As you are well aware, BMW refers to bolts that are "one time use" as micro-encapsulated. I had a good discussion with an engineer that works for Nylok over Christmas, and they supply what could be used on our bolts to hold on the rotors, Paralever arm bolts, etc.
https://nylok.com/precote-85-better-controlled-torque-tension-adhesive
You are also correct that bolts that call for thread locker should be cleaned prior to adding additional adhesive it not being replaced, thanks for pointing that out.

Valve Shim Kits

BoxFlyer, would you please tell us which Valve Shim kit you use or recommend and what the correct diameter of the shims would be.

By the way, I found your videos very well done and an excellent learning tool for the Waterboxer. Thank you very much !!!!!

Ron

Back