• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Potential BMW Driver - Feedback Welcome !

Rider59

New Potential BMW Owner - Feedback Welcome !

Good Evening, and for my first post....Greetings and questions.
At 59.5 yrs, 25 year ride history includes Gold Wing series and Harley Davidson Touring models. Looking closely at 1200 RT. I do love 2 cylinders. I tour and commute. Lately had been spending more time on my (2) older wings (compared to a much newer HD Road Glide) and that is signaling me.
My choices include:
A) Selling the Wings, keeping the HD and "testing the water" with a clean used RT 1200, likely 2010+........or​
B) Cleaning house of all three bikes (leaning this way) and buying a 2015-2017 1200 RT and not looking back!​
New Gold Wing platform is not for me, and been yawning lately at more recent offerings from HD.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Feedback is appreciated related to potential quirks in the more recent 1200 RTs, or anything to beware of. Do a lot of my own wrenching but zero experience on BMW. Nearest dealer 130 miles but not a dealbreaker.
Also, very interested if you were a former HD touring owner and made the switch. How did that work out for you?
Many thanks in advance, and certainly look forward to being an active contributor here.
Rider59

Last edited:
First off...Welcome from Apple Valley.
Looks like you've got a plan to make the switch.
Based on your previous machines and your riding preferences, if I were you I'd take a serious look at the K1600B.
I have had cruisers (Honda Valkyrie) as well as RT Boxer twins; I currently ride a K16GT and will not look back.
My opinion is that the K16's cannot be beat for touring. The RT runs a close second and they are pretty much bullet-proof and easier to work on compared to the K16.
I do my own maintenance on the K bike and its relatively easy as well. Routine maintenance like brakes, oil, filters etc are straightforward.

Just something to think about.

I'm sure others will chime in.

Good luck!

Joe

I have a 2016 HD Limited and a 2018 R1200RT. If I rode solo all the time the Harley would be gone. Two up, my wife wants more seating comfort, arm rests for example, but we don't have enough miles on the RT to make a good decision.
The RT will do just about everything better than the Harley except for the seating comfort.

Better ride, better handling, better performance and less weight. What's not to like?!

If I rode solo all the time the Harley would be gone............Better ride, better handling, better performance and less weight. What's not to like?!

My wife doesn't ride hardly at all anymore which further interests me in a bike like the 1200 RT. Sounds encouraging PoorUB and thanks for the feedback !

welcome

The RT has a much more sportier seating position than any of the other bikes you own, that might be something to consider, That being said I also own a harly Roadking I also own a 2014 RT and I've got to tell you I almost never ride the HARLY anymore. But if you really like the Cruiser seating position (sitting flat with your feet a little forward) one the K bikes might be a better fit, That being said the weight difference between the K bikes and the RT is like 200lbs or more and that's why I like the RT

The RT has a much more sportier seating position than any of the other bikes you own, that might be something to consider, That being said I also own a harly Roadking I also own a 2014 RT and I've got to tell you I almost never ride the HARLY anymore. But if you really like the Cruiser seating position (sitting flat with your feet a little forward) one the K bikes might be a better fit, That being said the weight difference between the K bikes and the RT is like 200lbs or more and that's why I like the RT

I do agree the seating position is different irishrover14, and I also take from your post that it's something one becomes accustomed to. Aware that's a factor and also interesting to note that you mentioned not driving the Harley much anymore. Sounds like the upright position is not a deal-breaker in your case and also for us that have driven other touring brands previously. Thanks !

Last edited:
Hey Rider, I've ridden but never owned a Wing. Other than that, your situation sounds somewhat similar to my own. Last 30 years have pretty much only been Harleys. Love em and will always have at least one in the garage. But I've always been curious about that boxer engine so I bought an older R1100RT so I could "learn the brand". Well...to make a long story short.....I'm presently trying to decide which new Beemer I could spoil myself with. PoorUB has hit all the important points. What's not to like?

Hey Rider, I've ridden but never owned a Wing. Other than that, your situation sounds somewhat similar to my own. Last 30 years have pretty much only been Harleys. Love em and will always have at least one in the garage. But I've always been curious about that boxer engine so I bought an older R1100RT so I could "learn the brand". Well...to make a long story short.....I'm presently trying to decide which new Beemer I could spoil myself with. PoorUB has hit all the important points. What's not to like?
I suppose in some way we are always drawn to two cylinders...........

Back