• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

FEELER: Improved R1150 6 Speed Transmission Input Shaft

gsaddict

Pepperfool
Attn Mods: This is a feeler to get feedback. I will ask to have this moved to Vendors if the interest is positive.

History: Back in 2008 I offered an improved input shaft for the Oilhead 6 speed transmission. There was little interest at the time as there had been relatively few failures. (My machine had higher mileage than average) and the cost was higher than BMW OE due to low production quantities. I did not get enough commitments to do a production run of 10 pcs. See this link: https://advrider.com/f/threads/improved-input-shaft-for-r1150gs-6-speed-transmission.301863/

Present: BMW has backordered the shaft #23 21 7 651 172 and the MAX fiche has the following note: “02/2018 - manufacture backorder, no ETA.” . I contacted my local dealer and they advised me that there were over 200 on backorder in Germany as of mid Nov 2018
Consequently, I am getting requests to purchase the improved model from North America as well as Europe.

I am willing to resurrect this project if I can get firm commitments to do a batch run of 10pcs.

Some specifications:
- Replaces BMW p/n 23 21 7 651 172. Fits all R1150 6 speeds
- Shaft material is harder than OE and splines have reduced backlash to further reduce wear.
- Professionally manufactured to ISO9001, API Q1 & AGMA standards by a large North American Manufacturer.
- Original prototype now at 126,000mi (203,000km) in my own machine
- By combining with the Extended Hub Clutch Disc from Beemerboneyard an additional 6mm of spline area can be achieved for a total of 12mm.

Price: $855usd insured postage included to the contiguous USA. Paypal Accepted.

Full info on this product can be found here: http://www.sunshinecoast.ca/bmw/Improved6SpeedInputShaft2018.pdf

If you are interested I would require a deposit of $250usd each. Once I reach 10 commitments, delivery would be 8 weeks for the order. All deposits would be refunded if I could not reach target in 2 months.

Below is a picture of the prototype shaft removed for inspection on Jan 7/19

Edit Feb 28/19
Shaft update:
I have deposits for 6 shafts
A further email commitment for another 3 (deposit coming shortly)
Considering the above I have proceeded with the order. I hope the last one will sell.
Delivery is 8-9 weeks
I'll keep everyone posted.
Regards
Reto

Attachments

• 202000km_resize.jpg
    202000km_resize.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 319
  • Shaft Picture.jpg
    Shaft Picture.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
GSAddict-

I was 'in' the first go round, consider me 'in' this time too.
Partial to Oilheads (brunettes too).

Last edited:
Lots of views.
2 deposits so far. 3 others interested.
Happy holidays everyone.

Last edited:
Edit Feb 28/19
Shaft update:
I have deposits for 6 shafts
A further email commitment for another 3 (deposit coming shortly)
Considering the above I have proceeded with the order. I hope the last one will sell.
Delivery is 8-9 weeks
I'll keep everyone posted.
Regards
Reto

Edit April 30/2019
Shafts will be shipping next week. All depositors have been notified.
Thanks for your interest!

Attachments

• New Shafts.jpg
    New Shafts.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 137
OEM shafts

Beautiful work GSA, but I can't pony up for the improved shaft. My tranny is in pieces and the shaft is on my desk, but the improved shaft is out of my budget.
Does anyone know a vendor who has the OEM shaft in stock? Max BMW is backordered from BMW until the twelfth of never.

Thanks in advance

Beautiful work GSA, but I can't pony up for the improved shaft. My tranny is in pieces and the shaft is on my desk, but the improved shaft is out of my budget.
Does anyone know a vendor who has the OEM shaft in stock? Max BMW is backordered from BMW until the twelfth of never.

Thanks in advance

I have a used OE shaft in VG condition. If interested, PM me.
Also have a complete transmission with perfect splines.

Edit: shaft is still available.

Last edited:
GSAddict,
I hate to sound like a fool, but I don't know how to send a PM

No worries.....At near the top of the page between “New Posts” and “FAQ” you will see “Private Messages”.
Once you click on private messages, follow the prompts.

As you are specifically looking to send GSAddict a PM, you can click on his username and then- send pm.
I will send you a PM now, look for the notification on the upper right, just to let you see how receiving a pm shows up. You can respond if you like.
Good luck.
Gary

Back