• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Busy Areas

ramble

ohbeemer
Don't know if there is a thead for exchanging info about riding /vacation areas to avoid. I have seen the shale oil boom completely snarl travel, restaurants and lodging for months at a time. Currently in east Ohio, and West Virginia the "pipeline" workers are doing there best to keep
he economy going and occupying the roads.
The oil boom has move do SE New Mexico and the scenario is the same.
T hose planing trips should be advised.
Perhaps we can exchange trip planning snafus.

Manhattan. Any time of the year. Enough said.

Park somewhere outside NYC and take public transportation to see all the tourist attractions.

Friedle

Park somewhere outside NYC and take public transportation to see all the tourist attractions.

Friedle

If you are headed to New England or other points up I-95 avoid I-95 as it goes through NYC (Cross Bronx Expressway more appropriately Cross Bronx parking lot)). Use I-87 north to I-84 east to reconnect with I-95 in CT.

Bar Harbor has gotten crazy crowded. The only time I will consider going is during the school year, when kids are there and their families not on vacation in Bar Harbor.

Bar Harbor has gotten crazy crowded. The only time I will consider going is during the school year, when kids are there and their families not on vacation in Bar Harbor.

We rolled into the middle of LobstaFest and seems like the 4th of July weekend and parades a few years back:banghead
Fun if you are enjoying the crowd and events...not so fun traversing.

Yellowstone NP when school is out for the summer, and in particular the week before and after Sturgis (unless you like huge groups of Harley’s running straight pipes and doing 20 MPH).

I MADE THE MISTAKE OF TAKING IN BIKTOBERFEST, thinking it was BMW centered. What a scene....Did the beach ,Main St. for an hour and then headed for home.

Friedle

No deer in NYC...that's gotta count for something! Actually I'd like to try7 a ride in the city. My son has done it on a KLR and his touring Harley and enjoyed it. There are a fair number of riders in the city- Bicycle, scooters, motorcycles- so it's not unheard of...I'd be nervouser about the bridges in to the city- GWB and Tappenzee are frantic! a tunnel might be fun...I think I'd like to ride the comfy R1200RT down from upstate but have the smaller nimbler louder XR1200 or Triunph down there-

No deer in NYC...that's gotta count for something! Actually I'd like to try7 a ride in the city. My son has done it on a KLR and his touring Harley and enjoyed it. There are a fair number of riders in the city- Bicycle, scooters, motorcycles- so it's not unheard of...I'd be nervouser about the bridges in to the city- GWB and Tappenzee are frantic! a tunnel might be fun...I think I'd like to ride the comfy R1200RT down from upstate but have the smaller nimbler louder XR1200 or Triunph down there-

What I remember is following Doug Evans into the Lincoln tunnel where traffic played mix um up and coming out the other side without him! Good thing I'd memorized the map of Manhattan or I'd have been completely lost!

Voni
sMiling

What I remember is following Doug Evans into the Lincoln tunnel where traffic played mix um up and coming out the other side without him! Good thing I'd memorized the map of Manhattan or I'd have been completely lost!

Voni
sMiling

You missed the worm hole takes you to parallel universe, or New Jersey I forget which

OK ……. it's official. Winter bike-lay-up season has officially started. We're going to try and 'break the internet' by listing every potential traffic snarl that could occur in the continental United States. Awesome. :bow

While there are fixed moments in time (Sturgis, Yellowstone, Daytona, EAA, Super Bowl, spring break, etc.) that will always be a cluster, just wander the USA on two wheels and enjoy whatever you encounter.

3 Basic Rules:

1. Anytime your route approaches a city of 1 million or more, either continue thru it and seek lodging and food on either side of it; better yet, take a by-pass if it exists. Then consider public transportation to events (I've done Wrigley Field and DC that way- stay close, but taxis and the Metro are your friends).

2. Any location can have some anomaly that causes it to bulge with traffic or patronage without warning (I recall my son and I riding into a sleepy Ohio city one evening, only to find that some trap-shooting convention sucked up every motel room within 60 miles - it happens?!). Just roll with it.

3. While interstates are still the safest and most efficient paths from A to B, route around (parallel on state highways) those on the eastern corridor and southern CA. They are just rolling parking lots - been there, done those. Otherwise, have at it.

Time to shovel.

Back