• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The best year(s) for the F800?

drneo66

I'm in the planning stages for adding a F800GS to the stable. It appears that there were some subtle updates made in 2013. I'm less concerned about the looks, and more concerned about the reliability. Your input?

Thought someone would have chimed in by now.

Had three 800GS's 13's here recently, all owners happy with platform for most part.

Biggest common item is chain/sprocket maintenace, but that goes for any chain drive. One had rear bearing failure at 18K, another wanted sprockets and a chain at 13K...which compared to one of my bikes:evil that seems to need one way sooner.
I was surprised how tall these models are. As tall as my 12GSA, just skinnier. Didn't ride them long enough to form an opinion other that they look like capable fun bikes.

Somewhere in the 13–15 model years BMW changed the design of the stator. It reduced airflow and the stator overheated and failed. It happened on Annie’s 14 F800GS and was replaced under warranty with a redesigned stator that has worked for 30,000 miles. The problem seemed to develop early so I suspect most of the poorly designed statirs were replaced; but something that should be checked.

Somewhere in the 13–15 model years BMW changed the design of the stator. It reduced airflow and the stator overheated and failed. It happened on Annie’s 14 F800GS and was replaced under warranty with a redesigned stator that has worked for 30,000 miles. The problem seemed to develop early so I suspect most of the poorly designed statirs were replaced; but something that should be checked.

That's interesting - the exact opposite of what I've been reading:

"A flywheel re-design was done in 2012 that vented the stator cavity.
if this did not eliminate the problem entirely it sure made things a lot better at the least..."

The nice thing is that you should get some warning that the stator/voltage regulator is dying (assuming you have a volt meter installed), plus this looks much, much easier to fix than on previous bikes I've had. The Honda CX/GL series was also known to eat stators, which required you to drop the whole engine, which I can now do in about 20 minutes :brad

The '07 and some '08 belt drive F800 bikes had an axle tube that was too soft. It would deform and become loose inside the inner race of the bearings. A redesigned axle tube was fitted to the later bikes.

if this did not eliminate the problem entirely it sure made things a lot better at the least..."

The nice thing is that you should get some warning that the stator/voltage regulator is dying (assuming you have a volt meter installed), plus this looks much, much easier to fix than on previous bikes I've had. The Honda CX/GL series was also known to eat stators, which required you to drop the whole engine, which I can now do in about 20 minutes :brad

That sounds about right. I had a 2010 which I replace the stator with an aftermarket one before failure in 2011 because I planned a trip to Alaska. When I took it out the windings were definitely toasted so the change proved correct. I had no stator problems after that and traded the bike at 50K miles. That same bike has a moisture ingestion problem with a poorly place tank vent tube. Fixed in the first 6 months under warrantee.

After market Stator cost about $130 and took about 2hrs to install.

I wish I had kept the bike ...for what I got on trade.

Last edited:

I got no warning when mine failed on my F800GS, though I was aware of the potential so it was not a big surprise. BMW only sells the stator together with the updated rotor as a kit and they want a good bit of cash for it. There are some aftermarket stators available, but I opted for the BMW kit to deal with the root cause of the problem. I did a preemptive replacement on my wife's ST which by the appearance of her stator was a wise decision.

Other than that, my 09 GS has not had any problems aside from bent/broken stuff from hard use.

I cannot explain the disparity, but can only relate my (Annie's) experience. Stator failed with no warning on her 2014; was replaced under warranty; tech that did the work said her's was of the sort that had reduced cooling and was replaced by an updated version. It was over $1000 with labor.

Back